Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

highway road construction, narrow

I am used to pull 7 feet trailer. Now I have 8 feet wide Cruise Lite 195BH.
Some of the interstate when there is a road construction, the lanes becomes a very narrow 2 lanes.
I remember even with 7 feet wide trailer, I already keep looking at the mirror fearing that it would scrape those concrete road divider, or fearing that it would scrape other vehicle passing by casing accident
I'm particularly concerned when a semi pass my by on a narrow road.
Now that I'm pulling 8 feet wide I'm more concerned with narrow highway under construction.
What do you all do with 8 feet wide trailers in narrrow road like that?
Even with sway control, there would at least be a little bit of tail wagging when a semi pass by.
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

Aim for the middle!

On the way to Yellowstone I ran a work zone Between Ashton and Henrys Lake.

Lanes were about 8' 6" between the candle stick markers, I just aimed for the middle and drove about 30 MPH.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Slow down and only watch ONE side of the trailer in the mirrors.keep it in the center of the lane and again,watch only ONE side of the trailer. Ive been hauling 8'-6 for 51 years and never hit nutin with the trailer.Did I say slow down?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #4

I can watch the center and keep it close to the center lane mark. However, my concern is a crazy semi just pass by and driving pass that middle lane marker, and boom!! When that happen, how to proof that it's actually them that drive pass the middle lane marker, that is if we are still alive
Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #5

At one time there was a grey hound bus that did that to me. Luckily I steer to the right quickly. He was probably mad for me driving too slow
Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Well,I dont want to sound arrogant or condsending,but you are afraid of scuffing it up,either learn to drive it or dont drive it at all.There is not a whole lot of skill reqd to keep it in your own lane,and if someone else crosses over and gets you,thats what ins is for.

edit) are your mirrors wider than the trailer? If they are not and you cant see down the entire side of your trailer,thats most of your problem right there.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Site Team

highway road construction, narrow

I have space issues so narrow lanes don't help. In time experience has helped but I still rather not drive in the slow lane when there are block barriers close by. Going a little slower does help when I am feeling uneasy. My Cruise Lite is only 7.5" wide but it took behind the wheel experience to feel comfortable. I stay in my lane and let the semi driver adjust his/her position. I figure they have more experience so I'm ok.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #8

X2 Trbomax. Be confident in your abilities, proper equipment. Narrow lanes and not to courteous drivers are everywhere.
fyrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Done with this

Nothing makes me happier than to see a white knuckled driver half way in my lane when I'm in my semi. The lanes are adequate for two semis to meet with no problem. Stay on your side and don't make me scrape the barrier with 80000 lbs to wrestle...sheeze. Learn to pull your camper!!!!!!!!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Nothing makes me happier than to see a white knuckled driver half way in my lane when I'm in my semi. The lanes are adequate for two semis to meet with no problem. Stay on your side and don't make me scrape the barrier with 80000 lbs to wrestle...sheeze. Learn to pull your camper!!!!!!!!

X2X2X2X2X2 that or stay home
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

We hit a orange cone with generator exhaust pipe. It flipped up and crushed the metal skirt on our TH on our 1st trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

As previously mentioned, the lanes are wide enough though it may not look it. Slow down keep it to the right and you will be fine!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
We hit a orange cone with generator exhaust pipe. It flipped up and crushed the metal skirt on our TH on our 1st trip.

That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Several years ago while driving my Class C across the Mackinac Bridge on a very windy day, I felt a funny vibration for about 15 seconds. Turns out I scrapped the exhaust pipe on the high curb. Boy, was the end of that pipe bright and shiny!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......

There was one cone 2 feet into my lane. The exhaust pipe sticks out 10 inches past the edge of the TH. The other side of the TH had a 6inch drop. I've been towing trailers for over 29 years. Maybe there should be fines for the DOT worker doing a bad job. I've never seen a cone guy measuring where they put the cones! Maybe they need to be trained and keep the cones where they belong, there are codes on how wide the road needs to be. 😱😵😜

Old 02-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
There was one cone 2 feet into my lane. The exhaust pipe sticks out 10 inches past the edge of the TH. The other side of the TH had a 6inch drop. I've been towing trailers for over 29 years. Maybe there should be fines for the DOT worker doing a bad job. I've never seen a cone guy measuring where they put the cones! Maybe they need to be trained and keep the cones where they belong, there are codes on how wide the road needs to be. 😱😵😜

Yes you are right there is a regulation on lane width and cones and the VDOT workers are well trained on how to set them. but they do get bumped and spun around on occasion. The bigger problem is keeping traffic where it belongs.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Several years ago while driving my Class C across the Mackinac Bridge on a very windy day, I felt a funny vibration for about 15 seconds. Turns out I scrapped the exhaust pipe on the high curb. Boy, was the end of that pipe bright and shiny!

Expensive curb feeler... Remember those..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Yes you are right there is a regulation on lane width and cones and the VDOT workers are well trained on how to set them. but they do get bumped and spun around on occasion. The bigger problem is keeping traffic where it belongs.......

In my state we have 3-5 workers watching 1 guy work. But when there throwing cones off a back of a flat bed truck 3-5 of the workers are in the cab texting there girl friends and drinking coffee.
Now we sub contract the road work out to save money and I still don't see anyone measuring where the cones go. It must be different in Virginia !

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
In my state we have 3-5 workers watching 1 guy work. But when there throwing cones off a back of a flat bed truck 3-5 of the workers are in the cab texting there girl friends and drinking coffee.
Now we sub contract the road work out to save money and I still don't see anyone measuring where the cones go. It must be different in Virginia !

You must live in PA and see PennDOT out there....

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #20

NJ but drive through PA a lot.