Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Holding tanks on a 346QBUD

Good afternoon...

I am upgrading from a Jayco popup to our first 5-er -- a Salem Hemishpere 346QBUD. We ordered it last week and hope to have by the end of March.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I can accumulate what I need for our first outing. On the list is sewer lines and such. I am trying to determine how many holding tanks there are on this unit and how many dump valves I'll be dealing with. For instance, on my friend's Rockwood 8281SS, his rear bathroom has 1 holding tank for both gray and black -- and doesn't have a black flush. He has that one tank in the back, a galley tank, and then black and gray for the main bathroom.

Any information would be helpful. I had to buy this sight-unseen, which is not something I would normally do, but I couldn't find a dealer within a few hundred miles that had one for us to look at and the last RV show didn't have one.

I have been researching 5-ers for 5 months, seen many many up close, and have seen lots of pictures, floor plans, etc. -- so figuring out what this "looks like" has been via pictures, reading, forums, etc.

Thanks,
Rob
snormr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snormr View Post
Good afternoon...

I am upgrading from a Jayco popup to our first 5-er -- a Salem Hemishpere 346QBUD. We ordered it last week and hope to have by the end of March.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I can accumulate what I need for our first outing. On the list is sewer lines and such. I am trying to determine how many holding tanks there are on this unit and how many dump valves I'll be dealing with. For instance, on my friend's Rockwood 8281SS, his rear bathroom has 1 holding tank for both gray and black -- and doesn't have a black flush. He has that one tank in the back, a galley tank, and then black and gray for the main bathroom.

Any information would be helpful. I had to buy this sight-unseen, which is not something I would normally do, but I couldn't find a dealer within a few hundred miles that had one for us to look at and the last RV show didn't have one.

I have been researching 5-ers for 5 months, seen many many up close, and have seen lots of pictures, floor plans, etc. -- so figuring out what this "looks like" has been via pictures, reading, forums, etc.

Thanks,
Rob
I remember looking at the Qbud when we were searching, but don't remember for certain on the drains. It is similar in size to our 365saq, which has 2 main sewer connections, with 2 black tanks and 3 gray tanks. Looking at capacities, you probably have 2 black and 2 gray, either way, pretty sure you would have 2 sewer connections also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I remember looking at the Qbud when we were searching, but don't remember for certain on the drains. It is similar in size to our 365saq, which has 2 main sewer connections, with 2 black tanks and 3 gray tanks. Looking at capacities, you probably have 2 black and 2 gray, either way, pretty sure you would have 2 sewer connections also.
Thanks for your reply. I love teh 365SAQ -- and that was our top choice after many months of research....but I was trying to stay true to the numbers to ensure I was within safe limits. The SAQ at over 14Klbs GVWR is just too heavy for my 250 Diesel. Sure I can pull the weight, but my truck is very heavily optioned I the pin weigh alone puts me over payload. I'm not too terribly concerned with payload, though, as I will put air bags in. But I am ensuring I am not overload my rear axle -- and with 4 passengers over 250lbs of hitch, up to 2800 lbs of pin weight, etc. -- it was just too much trailer. But...I am pretty envious.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I love the 365SAQ -- and that was our top choice after many months of research....but I was trying to stay true to the numbers to ensure I was within safe limits. The SAQ at over 14Klbs GVWR is just too heavy for my 250 Diesel. Sure I can pull the weight, but my truck is very heavily optioned and the pin weight alone puts me over payload. I'm not too terribly concerned with payload, though, as I will put air bags in. But I want to ensure I am not overloading my rear axle (6,100 lbs rear GAWR) -- and with 4 passengers, over 250lbs of hitch and mounting brackets, up to 2800 lbs of pin weight for a 365SAQ, etc. -- it was just too much trailer. But...I am pretty envious.

Thanks again,
Rob
Ugh...riddled with typos. Fixed above. Sorry...was in a rush at the time. - rob
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Good afternoon...

Thanks,
Rob
I have the same model. You have 2 black, two gray and a galley dump. Two sewer hookups. Galley dumps in same sewer line as front tank on my model. I suggest 3 sewer hoses of differing lengths. 2 about 10' and one a little longer. I usually run 2 short hoses to a Y fitting and then hook up to CG drain.

We have 2 kids under the age of 5 and love our unit. I think you will too. Please let me know if you have specific questions. Glad to help if I can.
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
I have the same model. You have 2 black, two gray and a galley dump. Two sewer hookups. Galley dumps in same sewer line as front tank on my model. I suggest 3 sewer hoses of differing lengths. 2 about 10' and one a little longer. I usually run 2 short hoses to a Y fitting and then hook up to CG drain.

We have 2 kids under the age of 5 and love our unit. I think you will too. Please let me know if you have specific questions. Glad to help if I can.
Thanks so much for the info. At the RV show a few weekends ago in Geensboro, I found a 356QBQ -- which is similar to the 346QBUD -- and noticed two sewer connections on that unit as well -- so was hoping that would be the case. I take it the rear black does not have a black tank flush?

One final question, did you ever pull a tape measure on your unit? The online brochure states 39' 9". Ours will have the spare tire, grill, and ladder out back...so I'm not sure what the overall length will be. I just rented a 40' covered storage unit over the weekend and am hoping I can squeeze my trailer in. It's got a gate on the front and pulling a tape to the gate gives me exactly 40'. It's a secure facility where the building itself is roughly circular shaped and units are inserted into their bays from the middle so the singel entrance to the facility is the only access point. I bring this up because i discussed the removal of the private gate for my specific unit so I can stick out a tad if needed. I'll find out soon enough when my unit comes off the line at the end of March, but was curious.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

The rear tank does have a separate flush valve on the opposite side from where the sewer connection is. It's between the outdoor kitchen and front door.

As for length I have never measured mine but is long! Easy to pull though. I have an 2006 F250 SD SWR.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
The rear tank does have a separate flush valve on the opposite side from where the sewer connection is. It's between the outdoor kitchen and front door.

As for length I have never measured mine but is long! Easy to pull though. I have an 2006 F250 SD SWR.
Great...thanks again for the into. That was very helpful and will help me plan my needed sewer/hose supplies.

Figure my '12 250 Diesel should do a fine job of towing. Wanted the Sandpiper 365SAQ, but thought it was too much trailer for my SRW truck. One month down and one to go on waiting for the build. Been a long wait!!

Thanks,
rob
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Always Learning

I, too, have 2 sewer connections on my camper. Only one black tank flush (for now- I plan on modding that this spring).

Directly connected to the camper are clear elbows so that I can see what's coming out of the tank (and know when it's running clean). I've actually started leaving this attached all of the time.

From the clear elbow, I connect sewer hoses to get me to the sewer connection at the campsite. Given my 42' camper, I carry 60' of sewer hose (2 x 10' sections and 2 x 20' sections). I'd actually like to carry another 10' in 2 x 5' sections but haven't picked up the hoses yet.

They go to a wye connector which goes to my 90-degree sewer connection.

I also carry a sewer donut for when the campsite sewer connections aren't threaded. I hate using it and have nothing but hassles with it. But, there are times it's required. The first place that I needed and used it - I bought it at the camp store.

I also have a 2-way splitter for the water hose connection. I'm going to be replacing it with a 3-way split for both of my sewer-flush hookups and fresh water hookup.

I carry 50' of water hose and something like 4 chunks of sewer hose. Not sure how much I have there. I never mix the two up- the fresh water hoses are white and only ever get hooked up to fresh water sources. Ever. No seriously - ever. :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:

Great...thanks again for the into. That was very helpful and will help me plan my needed sewer/hose supplies.

Figure my '12 250 Diesel should do a fine job of towing. Wanted the Sandpiper 365SAQ, but thought it was too much trailer for my SRW truck. One month down and one to go on waiting for the build. Been a long wait!!

Thanks,
rob
No problem. Couple suggestions for thought:

1. Ask the dealership for a roll of sealant tape for your "sunroof" windows. I had one heck of a leak until I added the sealant tape to the outside of mine. They are not the best made I have ever seen.

2. The galley dump valve on mine is located kind of between the black and gray dump valves on the rear of the unit. It was installed through the frame of the 5er. I had to get a tech out to find it. He looked for 45 minutes before he found it so I didn't feel so stupid.

3. Buy some spare fuses for your landing gear. I must have popped 3 or 4 when I first got the unit. No idea why and no problem since then but always nice to have some spares. I taped them in the front basement storage compartment. The fuse is located in there also FYI.

4. I also use a king pin support when camping. That thing made a world of difference with stability.

5. Last but not least forget about replacing your Dometic Thermostat if you want to. They use a 3 wire system that alternates voltage to control heat and ac. My brother is a big wig with a major commercial hvac company and he has played heck finding an alternate thermo for the unit. I'll post when we figure that part figured out!

And BTW, that beast of a truck won't have any issues pulling that little 5er but air bags sure will make the ride more enjoyable if you ever want to add them. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I've gotten so much help it's nice to be able to help another fellow camper.

Best of luck. You're gonna love it.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
No problem. Couple suggestions for thought:

3. Buy some spare fuses for your landing gear. I must have popped 3 or 4 when I first got the unit. No idea why and no problem since then but always nice to have some spares. I taped them in the front basement storage compartment. The fuse is located in there also FYI.

I got mine in June of last year and within a month I had problems with the landing gear also. Went though several fuses and ended up tearing open the gear box just to get the camper hitched up. The dealership replaced the gear box and so far no problems but it worries me every time I go to hitch up. It's almost like they put too small of a gear box for the weight. We'll see if I have future issues. I hope not.

Otherwise, We love the unit. Tons of room and it does pull like a dream.
Sunnyj1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

One thing that I just did when ours was at dealer fixing a couple of small things, was I had them install a fairly heavy duty battery cutoff switch. Ours may set for a few weeks at a time not hooked to electricity and when we wanted to use, battery would be dead, in the end the battery would only last a few days.

2010 Dodge Ram QC 2500 HD w/Cummins Diesel
2013 Salem Hemisphere Lite 346 QBUD
papamcgown is offline   Reply With Quote