Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Hot water heater

We just bought a 2019 23 rbhl. I was looking at the valves on the back of the hot water heater and I’m having a hard time figuring out where the valve need to be to bypass the water heater and where they should be to flow into the heater. Rv we had before had three valves and I knew which went where. The new one has only two. I went on line to the owners manual but it only addresses the three valve system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	168699Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	168699
jetmechoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechoh View Post
We just bought a 2019 23 rbhl. I was looking at the valves on the back of the hot water heater and I’m having a hard time figuring out where the valve need to be to bypass the water heater and where they should be to flow into the heater. Rv we had before had three valves and I knew which went where. The new one has only two. I went on line to the owners manual but it only addresses the three valve system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachment 168699Attachment 168699
I think they have it plumbed wrong. They have hot and cold mixing. Contact the dealer.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
I think they have it plumbed wrong. They have hot and cold mixing. Contact the dealer.

No the one of the valves is a two way
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
No the one of the valves is a two way
What he said!!!!!!( look closely at the top valve, it is a 2 way)
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Team

No problem. the valve handle is how you set which line the flow goes to.

Looking at your pic, although I can"t really see the handle at the top red line coming out of the water heater, the handle appears to be in line with the line coming out of the tank. This is how you want it for normal use.

However, it appears the handle on the bottom blue line is parallel with the line AND the white bypass line. This will have the water heater inlet shut off, and is not how you want it for normal use. You need to turn that handle 90 degrees to be in parallel with the blue line entering the water heater. It (blue line) will then match the position of the top handle (red line)

Click image for larger version

Name:	water bypass handle.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	168706

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

The valve on top and bottom turn so that they either turn toward the hot water heater or turn toward the hot line on top or toward the blue line on the bottom. If I understand you correctly then the one on top should be turned toward the hot water heater and the one on the bottom should be turned toward the blue line.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
The valve on top and bottom turn so that they either turn toward the hot water heater or turn toward the hot line on top or toward the blue line on the bottom. If I understand you correctly then the one on top should be turned toward the hot water heater and the one on the bottom should be turned toward the blue line (edit by wmtire- this valve should be turned towards the very short BLUE line going INTO the heater).
You want BOTH valves turned towards the heater tank, for normal use.

Your bottom one needs to be turned. Leave the top one as is.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #8

Thank you. I understand now. So when it comes time to winterize, I guess both valves will be turned toward the red line and the blue line instead of toward the heater.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you. I understand now. So when it comes time to winterize, I guess both valves will be turned toward the red line and the blue line instead of toward the heater.
Exactly, which will allow water from the cold blue line into the white bypass line...then from the white bypass line into the red hot water line. This way you can pump antifreeze into the cold blue lines and it will be able to get into the red hot lines.

No water can enter the water heater tank as the valves will have the inlet and outlet ports closed off once you turn them....thus bypassing the tank.

Easy Peasy

Old 05-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Attachment 168699Attachment 168699
Both valves should be turned towards the heater for normal operation.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater