Old 11-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Info about Forest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK

Just bought a new FR 282RK today!

Got a good deal, I hope, on it since it was a 2014.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on how those of you who have them, like them.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

I have the same model but I am new to camping, it is my first camper, but we do love it. I got it in Feb of this year. So for the awning is starting to milldew, it is hard to get the shake out of it when set up to camp in, It pulls great, I have a weight disttribution hitch, the chain type with one sway bar, it pulls better when you have some weight on the bumper when towing. Still looking for the drain lines on the water system. I have read the bypass on the water heater is behind one of the drawers in the bedroom. I have found when hooking up the water to the camper, the water heater heats better when you burp the heater several times to get all the air out of the water heater. The lights are really bright, and I am needing to find less bright bulbs for it. Wish it had a slide in the bedroom for more storage and room in there. I have not use the gas yet, but the air coditioner works well. My dealer broke one of my rear tail lights trying to check the bulbs because the power cable that was hooked up on my truck was not making a good conection, I am still trying to get them to replace it or give me one for me to do it myself. It is ver cometable to stay in. We bought a after market matress that the dealer ordered, but it is already tearing up at the seams and we have only used it maybe 20 days. It was 800 dollars, but sleeps well. The bath room door had to be adjusted on the hinges to make it close ok. The spare tire cover blew off not long after we got the camper, it did not fit well. I am going to check into other ways to steady the camper when set up, It shakes when walking through it. I have read it has springs which causes it to shake. Hope this helps. Also it does not have a cut off switch for the batter to keep it from going dead during storage. Hope this helps, I will be more than glad to help if you need to ask anything, I am new at camping, but have learned alot so for from knowing nothing at first. Don't trusk your dealer, find out about the 150 dollar extended warranty that most dealers want tell you about. The freezer works quick, but the fridge takes several hrs to cool, just like the outside fridge. The tank sencers are about 25 percent off. Flush your black tank well after camping. Like 5 times with the black tank wash supply. Get a power strip for it, and a water filter for it. The fuse box is below the bedroom drawers. You will hear a cooling fan noise from it during use. The air conditoner is sort of loud. Don't use your hair dryer, and curling iron at the same time with eighter the airconditioner running or microwe in use. It will trip the breaker. Eddy.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the response......I'll be watching for that mildew problem!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

I also have a 14' 282RK. Great TT. Be very careful to check the 2 pantry doors at the rear before opening the slide after towing. We made this mistake as the lower door came open & when we opened the slide it jammed in the slide & broke the door.
The awning material is poor compared to our previous trailer. It is more like cheap vinyl compared to my previous heavier braided awning.
Take the panel off under the bathroom sink to check the outside shower hoses. One of mine was too short & badly kinked.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice. We'd already read about the issue with the pantry doors. I think we're going to use some velcro straps to make sure they remain closed.....that or some baby locks. Have to see which works best.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have a 2015 282 rk which we got in April, kept it at a campground all summer as a second home so we were in it perhaps 100+ days this year (my job is 250 miles from home and it's a viable option in the summer to renting or buying another house). No complaints other than a bit bouncy when walking through it. next season I'll put X-chocks on the tires and 2 jacks under the middle of the frame by the door. I heard from others that should take care of the bounce.
Yes on the cabinet doors. Our awning cleaned up with a broom, dish soap, and a little elbow grease. yes it did get pretty dirty. We did have one problem with the black tank slipping out of it's cradle and putting the sewage smell in the camper. The dealer took care of that and in case you move your trailer a lot, keep an eye (or should I say nose) open for that. It can't really be seen because of the underbelly panel, but if you get sewer smell and can't figure it out, have the dealer (or if out of warranty) unscrew the underbelly and see if the tank slipped. It's not a uncommon occurance.
Otherwise, great trailer and we love it. All snuggled under it's cover until April 1.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

On the fridge, you can adjust the temp a little by sliding the thermocouple up or down in the holder that's clipped to the side of the cooling fins in the refridgerator compartment. We opted out of the outside kitchen as we didn't think we would use it and could use the storage space more. Good move for us.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

checking one year old camper roof out.

First time to dewinterize it, Can I walk on my camper roof to check out the roof for any needed re caulking or resealing, or do I need to use a step latter?

2014 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK
Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

yep, roof is made to walk on, if you don't have the rear ladder, you'll need an extension or tall step ladder. I try to use an extension ladder from the back.

1992 Goldwing Aspencade

Tags
forest river, salem