Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
This is the camper that I'm looking at also. I would be pulling it with an '04 F150 crew cab, 5.4 4x4 3.73 rear end, tow package with heavier springs. I would get a sway stabilizer hitch with the trailer. I'm not so much worried about file economy, I know it's not going to be the best, but on wear and tear on my truck. Do I need to be looking at a lighter weight camper?

Here's a link to the dealer I'm talking with and all the specs on the trailer. They list it as being 5,880 empty and 'can be pulled with light duty vehicles' but I still wonder. I will be living in the camper for most of the year. Average trips would be driving from NC to OK, staying for several weeks to a month, and driving back.

I really like the layout of the camper, it seems very livable, since I would spend quite a bit of time in it. I also like that the construction seems very sturdy compared to some of the other brands I've looked at.

What do y'all experienced campers think?

Nicole Rhodes
The Stockdog Journal
NRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
I tow my 26tbss with a Dodge 1500 1/2 ton. Trailer pulls fine, but I get envious of the diesels out there. I can pull fine at 65mpg, but longer inclines really outs a load on the engine. I'd love some more torque.

2002 Ford Excursion w/ 7.3 TD, 3.73 rear
2008 Salem 26TBSS
Wife and (3 kids): 10g, 9g, 4b
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
I had a 2006 eddie bauer with the same motor and tow package. I bought a Salem 26T with similar weights empty - maybe a little more. Set up with a Reese straightline hitch and duel sway. It pulled OK. No sway but didn't feel real comfortable over 60 mph. This could be because it was my first time towing something this big. Got 8mpg towing back from the dealer. Went camping near home, no highway driving, got 8 mpg. Stopped at the scales on the way back and found the hitch weight pushed me over the GVW for the Explorer. To reinterate the Explorer started fine, stopped fine but...In BC we have big mountains. Even with the 6 speed tranny and the 3.73 gears the idea of chugging up the Rockies didn't appeal. Now I have a 2003 Yukon xl with an 8.1 L and 4.10 gears. Still get 8mpg but at much lower rpm uphill

ford up is offline   Reply With Quote

26tbud, salem