Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #21

Inverter help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
At the inverter end you use a plug on the romex:

Now it makes sense. I know many people have them wired to outlets so I assumed there would be outputs on the inverter. But you are basically creating a giant extension cord to a an outlet. What about the people who set it up making all outlets in the camper active?
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Now it makes sense. I know many people have them wired to outlets so I assumed there would be outputs on the inverter. But you are basically creating a giant extension cord to a an outlet. What about the people who set it up making all outlets in the camper active?
Adding a couple "inverter only" outlets and feeding them through a cord with a plug on each end is a pretty common setup.

I suppose you could use the same concept to feed an existing outlet and that would back-feed all the outlets on that circuit - BUT you have to have a fool proof method to isolate that circuit from the shore power feed and make sure you never had shore power back feeding into your inverter. I would never try this setup - I would end up frying something inadvertently at some point.

If you really want to feed a circuit of outlets, I would say get a transfer switch like this:

Amazon.com: Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay f/PROwatt SW: Electronics

This would connect your inverter to the circuit for your outlets and only allow the inverter to power the circuit when shore power (or generator power) isn't available. There is a remote panel available as well, which can be handy depending on where the inverter and the switch are physically located. The 1000W pure sine inverter your have with a switch like this would make a pretty nice setup.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter