Old 11-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Ive looked everywhere!

Anybody know the location of the hot water bypass vavle on a 2017 salem cruise lite? The hot water tank is at the back of the trailer. Only place i didnt look was under bottom bunk. The panels are all screwed down. Under the matress. I drained the system ran anitfreeze through it till pink came out all taps removed anode little bit of ice stuck to it. Then ran pump until pubk stuff came our abode hole. Rest of pink stuff went down drains and grey tank and black tank. Also took off shower hose and drained it.

AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

No one is going to be able to help, if you don't post the model number. It's not in your profile either.
Bypass valve locations vary wildly between brands and models.
And if you post the model number, someone who owns the same model can be more helpful.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #3

Since you already ran antifreeze into the hwheater- why do you want to bypass it now?
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
D W

In the Salems, the bypass is located at the water heater connections. Older models have a three valve system consisting of three 1/4 turn valves. The newer models have a two valve system with one 1/2 turn valve which closes the WH hot water outlet and allows cold water to flow through the hot water lines and one 1/4 turn valve which closes the cold water inlet into the WH and opens the bypass line. The 1/2 turn valve negates the need for a third valve.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

Most of the time the bypass valves if you have them are located just behind the water heater. Not all models have them though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

I've looked everywhere

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that you want to avoid getting any antifreeze in the hot water heater. It's always easy to find the place to get at the hot water heater bypass valves if you look outside to see where the hot water heater is installed, then go inside the trailer and look in the same location. They are often under the bed and almost always require unscrewing a panel to get under the bed, or at the heater wherever it is located.
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Sorry its a 2017 Salem Cruise lite 261BHXL.
Gonna pull the matress and bed panel. The specs say it has a factory installed bypass hot water tank is almost dead center at the back of the trailer. Hoses for HW tank run on the floor behind toilet then into the wall seperating the bathroom and bunks. I would like to know the location for next time. We had a very fast cold snap here so had to winterize fast we used the trailer right up to the end of october.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that you want to avoid getting any antifreeze in the hot water heater. It's always easy to find the place to get at the hot water heater bypass valves if you look outside to see where the hot water heater is installed, then go inside the trailer and look in the same location. They are often under the bed and almost always require unscrewing a panel to get under the bed, or at the heater wherever it is located.
It really will not hurt anything to get antifreeze in the hot water heater, it can take more antifreeze that way, and is just a little harder to flush in the Spring.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Anybody know the location of the hot water bypass vavle on a 2017 salem cruise lite? The hot water tank is at the back of the trailer. Only place i didnt look was under bottom bunk. The panels are all screwed down. Under the matress. I drained the system ran anitfreeze through it till pink came out all taps removed anode little bit of ice stuck to it. Then ran pump until pubk stuff came our abode hole. Rest of pink stuff went down drains and grey tank and black tank. Also took off shower hose and drained it.
Did you remember outside shower if you have one?
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
Did you remember outside shower if you have one?
No putside shower. I did forget to flush the toilet till pink came out. I turned on the furnace for a few hours and drained the water out of just the toilet. It has a valve to drain it. Looks like an aftermarket valve added to the pex pipe.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

I have a passport bunkhouse and my water heater access is under the bottom bunk which i have to remove the screws in the bed panel to access the bypass
m and j in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Only place i didnt look was under bottom bunk. The panels are all screwed down. Under the mattress.
It's not unusual to have to unscrew a panel to get to your bypass valves. If you heater is at the very back of the trailer, the valves are likely right behind it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

OP:

Be aware that you may not have the standard 3-valve setup. The manufacturers have come up with some other plumbing options.

See the attached for some other options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Byass valve arrangements.pdf (165.4 KB, 9 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
I have a 2017 201BHXL and it is behind the water heater under the bunk. Looking at pictures of yours, with the water heater in the rear you'll have to get to the back of the bunk. Pull the mattress and unscrew the sheeting.

BayouCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote