Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Just bought the 26RKSXL

Hello all. We just bought the 26RKS and was wondering if there is anyone else in this forum that could share their experiences with this particular model with us. Thanks in advance
Derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the new trailer. We have the same model and have had a few small problems with it but nothing the dealer and warranty did not take care of! Tires were dry rotted at delivery, Slide was rubbing on the floor at side trim pieces also the microwave died but that was about it. All and all this is a great entry level camper for a couple or very small family (its just the DW and I plus 2 dogs usually). We use ours as much as work and winter will let us. Cant wait til spring!

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Thank you for the info Joe. I look forward to spring myself. Could you tell me where the water pump is located and if and where the manual slide retract screw is located? I have no issues, just trying to get prepared for every scenario. I appreciate you taking time to respond to my posts. I will try to keep my newby questions to a minimum
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #4

I have a 2012 26RKSXL that we bought last June. The biggest "issue" has been the poor placement of the exhaust for the furnace, it's right next to the door. If the entry door is opened and secured, it covers the exhaust. Door open and furnace running equals melted door.

When I picked up the unit from the dealer I noticed the lower portion of the door had a slight indentation and thought something may have hit it during transport, I had the dealer make note of it.

When I got the camper home I ran the furnace with the doors and windows open to get the new furnace smell out. When I shut the door I was stunned to see a basketball sized area of the door melted from the exhaust. I then realized that the first damage came from when the dealer tested out the unit and had the door open.

The dealer said they never saw such a poor design and the door was replaced under warranty. The service dept contacted Forest River to see if a retrofit kit was available and I have not heard anything back. I see on the later 2012 units the furnaces have been moved.

Other that that issue the camper has been trouble free and are looking forward to spring.
yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper
I have a 2012 26RKSXL that we bought last June. The biggest "issue" has been the poor placement of the exhaust for the furnace, it's right next to the door. If the entry door is opened and secured, it covers the exhaust. Door open and furnace running equals melted door.

When I picked up the unit from the dealer I noticed the lower portion of the door had a slight indentation and thought something may have hit it during transport, I had the dealer make note of it.

When I got the camper home I ran the furnace with the doors and windows open to get the new furnace smell out. When I shut the door I was stunned to see a basketball sized area of the door melted from the exhaust. I then realized that the first damage came from when the dealer tested out the unit and had the door open.

The dealer said they never saw such a poor design and the door was replaced under warranty. The service dept contacted Forest River to see if a retrofit kit was available and I have not heard anything back. I see on the later 2012 units the furnaces have been moved.

Other that that issue the camper has been trouble free and are looking forward to spring.
Thank you Yooper. That's great info to know!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #6

The water Pump is under the foot of the bed along with water tank. I don't know where the manual slide screw is but I also need to find it just to be prepared.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

KI Sawyer,Tailwinds Bar, Hi,Joe Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S
The water Pump is under the foot of the bed along with water tank. I don't know where the manual slide screw is but I also need to find it just to be prepared.
Thanks Joe. I would have never thought to look in the front of the trailer. I will let you know if I find the slide out by pass screw
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #9

Hi Youroo. Work here on Sawyer but no more tailwinds they closed up early this fall! There is now no place to get a bite to eat on sawyer. You must go to Gwinn.