Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #31

I'm talking about the air vent in the ceiling by the back window.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #32
Go Pack Go!!

Okay, last question.....do have only one A/C or two? If you got the option for the 2nd A/C, it would be located in the upper loft bedroom which would also serve the bedroom below it.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #33

We have 2 air conditioners. Another foolish thing is the thermostat for the upstairs air is in the master bedroom. With getting no air in our room the loft air never turns off and the kids freeze while we're hot. The air vent by the stairs going into the bedroom hardly blows anything either. Neither Forest River nor our dealership has helped at all with this issue.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
Go Pack Go!!

That's my setup too, and my 2nd A/C still shuts off in low speed without obtaining desired temperature. Dealer still cannot figure it out and get it fixed, but they would not do anything about the low pressure going through certain ducts.

Here is a long list of what I did to fix the problem:

First, take off covers off A/C from the loft. Get some HVAC foil duct tape. Take out the divider in the A/C and start re-taping the open gaps where they connected the roof ductwork to the housing of the A/C. They typically do a lousy job at the factory. Once done with that, reinstall divider and re-tape around the joints of the divider. This will help from the return air sucking the supply air in the A/C itself, giving more output to grilles.

Next, take some aluminum foil and take off the grille adjacent to the A/C (directly above the feet when someone is lying down). Cover the entire grill with the tin foil and reinstall grill. If you want more air movement out of that grille later on, poke a couple holes in it using a screwdriver.

Next, unscrew the wood cover off the void at the back of the loft area. There is a duct that runs from the ceiling down to the bedroom ceiling. Cut the thin wood around duct to get hands into the ceiling. You will likely need to re-tape the transition from the supply duct to the flex duct. Get another piece of thin wood and re-seal the ceiling, and get some window/door foam to seal the penetration. Don't use regular great stuff as that has a lot of pressure when expanding. On my camper, I had to do this because too much air was flowing into the roof cavity instead of out of the vents.

Next, take off the ceiling grille in the bedroom and pull down the excess flex duct. Trim off excess but leave enough to reconnect and reinstall grill. What you are trying to accomplish is have the least amount of bends in the flex duct to maximize CFM's out of the grilles.

Lastly, take off ceiling vent by the door and do the same thing with the flex duct. On my unit, I also took tin foil and covered half of the grill. That increased the flow out of the ceiling grill by the back window. The bottom of the door for the bedroom and the stairway acts as the warm air return for the upper A/C, and since this blows by the thermostat located by the rear door, it should function and cycle better.

I would expect all this work to take about a day to do, but it really helped in my 4092BFL. Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #35

Thanks for the help, we'll have to try it come Spring. CAN'T WAIT until Spring!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #36

Thanks for the post. I have had the exact same issue. In fact I had the dealer out and they insist there is no problem. However, my a/c fan will shut off when it is still roasting in the master bedroom. The front one works fine. The dealer says it is just the thermostat. The problem is that is works most times and not occasionally.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #37
Go Pack Go!!

FYI- pretty much all the rooftop A/C's need aftermarket help as I described above with foil tape.

On the front A/C on my 4092BFL, I had to open and re-tape the vent connectors and divider inside the unit, then I blocked off the vents in the kitchen area and left open the one at the front window and the one in the bathroom. The one in the bathroom I put a piece of aluminum foil blocking half the vent. This gives much better balance to the system and it works better.

FWIW, at the camper show last weekend, they finally put a real over the range microwave in the camper, instead of the skinny one in last year's model. The new one actually has some width to it now!!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #38

One more question, we have dish at our campsite and the bedroom is the only thing wired for it. Whats the best way to change that so we can also watch tv in the living room and upstairs?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #39
Go Pack Go!!

Are you DirecTV or DishNet? I have DirecTV myself and would be able to get you more accurate answers if you have DirecTV too.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #40

we have dish. Really don't understand why the camper is wired for it to only work in the bedroom. How many campgrounds really have cable? I've never seen one.

Tags
salem