Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Just ordered a 2015 Salem Villa Estate 4092BFL

Since we now seasonal we just traded in our 2006 Cedar Creek for the Salem 4092 with the loft. We have two kindergarten age boys so we needed a place for them, but the bunk house models you have to give up living room and kitchen space. This model was like having a couples coach with still having beds for the kids. Anyone have any experience with these?
Charndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

We have the Wildwood sister version on order. With this 4092BFL model, you get more living room and kitchen space including countertops, with tons of cabinet space. That was a big factor in our decision.

With many front and back bedroom models, there is typically no counter space in the kitchen, and storage in kitchen is really lacking.

We also like looking straight on at a entertainment center and not 90 degrees to the left or right while sitting down, like most models. Those are neck killers.

We priced out the Salem vs. Wildwood model, and save over $4k going Wildwood for whatever reason. Hope you got a good deal.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

We got ours from the dealer we bought our original fifth wheel from so there were incentives and a refund on a warranty etc. we got. Not sure it totally saved us money but the Wildwood and Salem Estate seem about identical. I totally agree with you on the living space you get with this. In our old fiver we not only did the 90 degree thing to watch a movie, but with only one small sofa only two of the four of us had seats. The opposable super slides in the living and kitchen area are game changers. It is like having a couples coach but still having a bedroom for the kids. One thing I'm not sure is going to the type of siding it has. Hope it is okay.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
Go Pack Go!!

We upgraded to the Gelcoat. Our current 42' Wildwood has regular aluminum siding and is more difficult to clean. It was a pricey upgrade (about $2300) but will have it for years to come, and was well worth it for us.

We also decided to not go with the leather furniture, since we have cold weather climates at times. Plus we have two dogs and our little one will scratch leather up bad even with trimmed nails. FR also allowed us to ditch the rockers and have a second sofa in it. Much more practical for our family.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Any advice on maintaining the aluminum siding? I hope it wasn't a mistake to not get gelcoat. When do you get yours, or do you have it already?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Go Pack Go!!

Mine goes into production soon, and is scheduled to come off the line around May 12. Ordered it three weeks ago, but just last week added additional options. Never knew about being able to upgrade to double pane windows and some other items. There was no list showing other upgrades available.

Ask your dealer to contact FR to see when yours goes into production and perhaps you can still make some changes. They obviously have to have your order list for their materials needed before hitting the production line.

My neighbor upgraded his travel trailer when we did back in 2007, and he got the Gelcoat. I wish I would have done that back then, so I'm not making the same mistake this time around.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

I'm thinking it is too late for ours. It is in production now coming off the line at the beginning of next week. We didn't truly order ours, our dealer had one on order and we are buying the one they had ordered. We got a better deal doing that and the only thing we wouldn't have done was the siding. Still not sure about that with the added cost. Do you still wax alum sided like the gelcoat?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Go Pack Go!!

Unfortunately it was hard enough to find time and wash it....never made it to the waxing stage.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

Siding

We just purchased a 2015 Villa Estates with aluminum siding. Our previous Wildwood had the soft side, not sure what material it was but leaving all winter outside on permanent site in Wisconsin we started to see cracks in the sides. Other campers have the aluminum in our campground and although it is not smooth, they clean up pretty quick as well. I don't think it will shows stains from sap and trees as bad either, just some of my thoughts. Very excited to get our camper to our site, it arrives in 2 weeks, just had the walk through and we are VERY pleased with everything so far.
2Bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

Congrats 2Bretired! Glad to hear your thoughts on the aluminum siding. Ours came off the line yesterday and should be ready to deliver now if not already on the way to the dealer. Hopefully we will be camping in a couple weeks. Cannot wait.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
Go Pack Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charndog View Post
Congrats 2Bretired! Glad to hear your thoughts on the aluminum siding. Ours came off the line yesterday and should be ready to deliver now if not already on the way to the dealer. Hopefully we will be camping in a couple weeks. Cannot wait.
Did you get your new rig...and how is everything working out? Would love to hear an update.

Ours just came off the assembly line and the dealer had it at the dealership 2 days ago. They started the dealer prep and found a big MFR defect. According to the tech, the OSB combined with resin material used for the roof of the super slide over the dinette/sofa is defective, and the dealer felt in 2-3 years exposed to the sun/elements, we would start to see issues with the paneling inside on the ceiling. It would not be a leak issue, but was alarming enough that they want to re-install new material for the entire roof of the slide-out. He said the OSB felt squishy using his fingers while observing the imperfections on the roof of the slide-out.

I was pretty happy he noticed this, and I'm not sure I would have caught this on the PDI, especially because I have slide-out toppers on this unit. They said it would be at least two weeks to get the parts and rebuild it. I have no issues with waiting, as we are still using our current camper which will be sold once we get the new one.

Driving 2 hours tomorrow to get the PDI done on the rest of the camper, hopefully no other major issues. I am really happy with my dealer for catching what he did so far.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #12

New Salem Villa Estates

Yes, we have had it about 2 weeks now. We love the lay out, a few minor glitches, the bedroom fan wobbles and makes noise but they have ordered a new one and it should be here in 2 weeks. Our biggest disappointment is with the satellite system. I guess it is set up to be in the bedroom only and just the antenna in the living room?? If we were pulling it around I wouldn't care but we are stationary for 6 months and when the weather is bad it is nice to have something to watch. The good news is they are going to come out and put in a splitter and fix it for us. Otherwise, we are happy campers! Thanks for asking!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

WOw, this is awesome that he found that. We are also very happy with our dealer and the guy that did our PDI, hope all goes well for you and you get it soon!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by codespy View Post
Did you get your new rig...and how is everything working out? Would love to hear an update.

Ours just came off the assembly line and the dealer had it at the dealership 2 days ago. They started the dealer prep and found a big MFR defect. According to the tech, the OSB combined with resin material used for the roof of the super slide over the dinette/sofa is defective, and the dealer felt in 2-3 years exposed to the sun/elements, we would start to see issues with the paneling inside on the ceiling. It would not be a leak issue, but was alarming enough that they want to re-install new material for the entire roof of the slide-out. He said the OSB felt squishy using his fingers while observing the imperfections on the roof of the slide-out.

I was pretty happy he noticed this, and I'm not sure I would have caught this on the PDI, especially because I have slide-out toppers on this unit. They said it would be at least two weeks to get the parts and rebuild it. I have no issues with waiting, as we are still using our current camper which will be sold once we get the new one.

Driving 2 hours tomorrow to get the PDI done on the rest of the camper, hopefully no other major issues. I am really happy with my dealer for catching what he did so far.
The Roof on My sisters NEW 2015 Salem Villa was more like a (Trampoline) than a Hard Surface! It is in for Slide Roof Repair now! The (OSB) was GONE and it was also Leaking inside the walls and ceiling! Good luck on your Repair also! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

Yes we did get it two weeks ago. We have not camped in it yet as we have been busy blocking it and hooking the sewer up as well as bringing everything to camp with. We are making progress and plan to camp this weekend for the first time. The floor plan seems so nice. I haven't checked out the slide yet, I didn't bring a ladder to get on the roof. We will see how this works when we actually camp and have the dogs and kids.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
Go Pack Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The Roof on My sisters NEW 2015 Salem Villa was more like a (Trampoline) than a Hard Surface! It is in for Slide Roof Repair now! The (OSB) was GONE and it was also Leaking inside the walls and ceiling! Good luck on your Repair also! Youroo!!

It's more widespread as I found out today at the dealer for the PDI. They went back and found 10 other TT from Wildwood/FR with the same issue that have to get fixed, and when they contacted Wildwood, there was one just about to leave the factory that they noticed the issue with too. So I guess I'm not the only one.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Go Pack Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charndog View Post
Yes we did get it two weeks ago. We have not camped in it yet as we have been busy blocking it and hooking the sewer up as well as bringing everything to camp with. We are making progress and plan to camp this weekend for the first time. The floor plan seems so nice. I haven't checked out the slide yet, I didn't bring a ladder to get on the roof. We will see how this works when we actually camp and have the dogs and kids.

That will be a tall ladder you need for that unit!! I spent a little over 3 hours on the PDI today, and found some minor defects that the dealer has no problem getting fixed. I am glad we got the ladder option for our unit. Has a lot of rungs!

A couple of interesting surprises for our 2016 model 4092BFL.... 1) The stereo system is now located under the TV in living room and not in the upper cabinet by the patio door- nice change, but the sound sadly does not compare to the old Concertone 10+2 surround sound system with subwoofer. 2) There is now an access door on the outside of camper for the storage under master bedroom bed- bonus. 3) I found out the hard way that if you get the flush tank toilet, we knew the black water tank goes away, but found out the fresh water tank goes away also and you lose the water pump inside. Never knew about that. Now have to improvise when it comes to winterizing with anti-freeze. 4) They switched refrigerators from an 18 cubic foot to a 16 cubic foot.

The kitchen island had a long 12" hairline crack in it parallel with the side of sink, so a new top is being ordered by the dealer and they will take care of it. We are really happy that we got the second sofa with hide a bed in lieu of 2 rockers, now more sleeping capacity as well.

All in all, quality of construction was better than I have seen in the past and it is a nice looking camper. Can't wait for delivery in several weeks!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #18

Ours is a 2016 to our surprise. Thought it was going to be 2015. The stereo is by the slider though. We do have the outside access to the area under the bed. We got the recliners and love them. The big surprise to us was the second A/C unit in the back for the loft and master bedroom. Didn't know that was standard so we figured we would just do with one unit.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #19

Ok Codespy, we spent the first weekend camping in ours and can't believe how much we love this floor plan. My question for you is why the two sofas? You mentioned that you will have more sleeping room. Where will the second sofa be to allow for the two sofa beds to be out at the same time? Or will you just have someone sleep on the sofa and only have one bed pulled out at once? Just wondering. So far everything on ours seems to be working well. We really didn't want to leave after our first weekend there. Can't wait till next weekend.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
Go Pack Go!!

Our dealer said by sliding the slide-out sofa over a little and angling the other sofa, that both beds can be opened up at the same time. We tend to have lots of people visiting our camp over the summer, so the extra sleeping room is great. Plus, we can lay on sofa's at different angles to watch TV if we want.

I took a pic at my PDI last Thursday and attached it below......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4092BFLmay21.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	78136  

Tags
salem