Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #1

Just wanted to say hello

Hi all. I came across this forum. We just recently purchased a 2003 Salem 37BHSS. The previous folks were self described city folk, and they caused a few problems with it which they told us about to their credit (sort of). When we bought it we were told the slideout was broken. They had the trailer moved and didn't level it before they put the slideout out. The bracket that the bar connects to actually snapped of, it was so bound up. Anyway, we had the RV center come onsite and got it all fixed up. It took a bunch of fixes like lubing it, replacing the shear pin, reattaching the rod to a repaired bracket, shimming the motor, something about turning the actuator motor over. Anyway, they got it all working and for a pretty reasonable $200. The other issue we had was, the previous owners said there HAD been a roof look, pretty it was "pretty much" fixed. So I was under no illusion it was fixed. The previous owner had been up there many weekends caulking and looking for that leak. I just had the RV center do a Seal Tech test on it (they hook a machine up to a vent, pressurize the trailer, and soap it up and look for bubbles is my understanding). Anyway, they found a 1/4 inch tear in the roof, along with a dozen or so other little air leaks around windows, corners, etc. They patched it all up and it is dry as can be. So I think when you buy one of these used, there will always be something to fix, I just had the advantage that I knew about a few of them before I started!
Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I will view and post questions in the future.
waltonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Howdy Waltonb...welcome to the forum. Glad your unit was fixed up. I like that pressure test idea. I guess you could find a lot of leaks/gaps that way.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

Welcome!
I wish I could get my House tested like that! Oh, wait.. its 100 years old I better not. Too many leaks i am sure.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #4

howdy
sorry thear about your troubles with the Rv
sounds like you gt it all fixed and ready to go
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #5

Welcome to FRF!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #6

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will keep an eye on things and offer my two cents when I can help.
waltonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Team

I'll add my welcome too.

I know people who've bought new RV's that have had more problems than you've had. You're lucky the previous owners told you about the problems and they weren't very expensive to repair.

I really like the idea of pressurizing the RV to find leaks. I've been thinking about doing that to ours before we actually find any.

Happy Camping.

Tags
salem