Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Kitchen slide pushes the island

We have an 18 32BHI. When we run our kitchen slide in, the oven handle pushes on the island and the island starts to tilt. It's not loose or anything but it's made one hell of a gouge in the island. Anyone else have this problem?
FireMedicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedicJoe View Post
We have an 18 32BHI. When we run our kitchen slide in, the oven handle pushes on the island and the island starts to tilt. It's not loose or anything but it's made one hell of a gouge in the island. Anyone else have this problem?

Oh, that's not good! Sounds to me like they missed the placement of the island by an inch or two. Get it taken care of soon as it will eventually work the island loose not to mention more damage than its' rubbing has already caused.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Oh, that's not good! Sounds to me like they missed the placement of the island by an inch or two. Get it taken care of soon as it will eventually work the island loose not to mention more damage than its' rubbing has already caused.
Do you know if they bolt them down from the top or up from the bottom? It might be easier for me to fix it instead of dealing with the dealership.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you know if they bolt them down from the top or up from the bottom? It might be easier for me to fix it instead of dealing with the dealership.

I think they're just screwed down from the top. However, you'll probably have to remove the bottom floor in the island to access the screws. Hopefully, you won't have to relocate any plumbing or wires.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I think they're just screwed down from the top. However, you'll probably have to remove the bottom floor in the island to access the screws. Hopefully, you won't have to relocate any plumbing or wires.
I had it all opened last night so I could install a central vac for my wife. There was about 3-4 inches of play around the hole where the water and electric came in. I may go back in there tonight and see if I can see where it's bolted down and move it myself.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
It might be an easier fix for you but if it has cocked the island and put a big gouge in it, why would you not want factory warranty to cover it and also have that information in the system in case you have issues down the road?

I'd be documenting this with the dealer/factory in writing from both sides.

Has it done any hidden damage to the oven?
Has it loosened the floor?
Will relocating the Island also require relocating/lengthening any plumbing/drain(s)?

My island is bolted with through bolts, not screwed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It might be an easier fix for you but if it has cocked the island and put a big gouge in it, why would you not want factory warranty to cover it and also have that information in the system in case you have issues down the road?

I guess I'm just worried I'd lose my camper for a couple of months in the middle of camping season.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I guess I'm just worried I'd lose my camper for a couple of months in the middle of camping season.

Sadly......in most cases this is true.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Has it done any hidden damage to the oven?
Has it loosened the floor?
Will relocating the Island also require relocating/lengthening any plumbing/drain(s)?

My island is bolted with through bolts, not screwed.
My wife is sending me a picture of the damage and a video of the slide coming in so we can get the warranty process started.
No damage to the oven, so worst case scenario is I remove the oven handle until we can get it in for service.
The floor doesn't feel loose.
The plumbing shouldn't have to be relocated. I need only like 1/4 inch.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Here is a video of the oven hitting the island

I went ahead and removed the handle from the oven to stop it from hitting. Still waiting on an email back from FR and the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	208210  
Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

I am no expert on slides, but it seems to me that the easiest thing to do is stop the slide before the stove handle contacts the island. If you cannot see the handle from where you standing when holding the slide switch, then put a piece of marker tape on floor and do not go pass that. You stated you only need a 1/4 of a inch, you do realize that you do not have to run that slide in until the motor stalls.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide