Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

leveling our Travel trailer

Hi everyone we are getting ready to go on our first camping trip with our 23 foot Salem Travel trailer. Since our trailer is used and we don't have an owners manual do you have the slide out or in before you level the T.T. ? This is our first T.T. so we have a lot to learn. Thank you Neil and Maureen
old goat travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

It all comes with trial and error, on mine I have to set it up a 1/4 of a bubble off on the level then unhook and put all my stabilizers down. When I open our slides after everything is set the weight of them trues everything up and it is level. I keep 3 2" x 8" x 4' boards and 1 5/4 " x 6" x 4'. When I back the trailer in to the spot at the CG I put the 2" x 8" x 4' under the wheels then ck level and decide on how much more I need on the slide side and either add the 5/4 or the other 2" x 8" .
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by old goat travelers View Post
Hi everyone we are getting ready to go on our first camping trip with our 23 foot Salem Travel trailer. Since our trailer is used and we don't have an owners manual do you have the slide out or in before you level the T.T. ? This is our first T.T. so we have a lot to learn. Thank you Neil and Maureen
The rig should be level first, but you can get into trouble if the rig twisted. I would say if it is close to level operate the slides first. It is possible for the weigh of the slide to cause it to lean that way (particularly if there is only one slide on a smaller unit, so you might have to check level after and relevel if needed. That is why many folks operate the slides first; then level. The owner's manual you are missing probably is nearly useless anyway, but you might try to get one.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Always Learning

Slides in. You can't level side to side without moving the camper forward/backward and I personally wouldn't do it with my own camper (not on a regular basis).

See if this helps:
Learn To RV: RV Leveling is Really Quick and Easy
Old 03-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Old Goat! Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your new TT!!

Here is a extract from my 5th wheel checklist (adapted for your Travel Trailer)

Recommended items:
2-3' bubble level (you can get em cheap at Harbor Freight)
Anderson Leveler (SO much easier than Lego blocks!)
BAL X-Chocks (to stop any front-to-rear movement while camped)
Both the above can be purchased from Amazon.com

1. BEFORE unhooking, use your level and check your Right-Left Level
  2. If you use a Andersen Leveler, put it behind the low-side trailer wheel(s) and back up until you are level.
  3. If you use Lego blocks it will be a trial and error process to see how many blocks you need to get level
  4. Once level, put on the BAL X-Chocks
  5. Your rig is now secure, unhitch and drive the TV forward
  6. Get the level and, check the front-rear level
  7. Using your tongue jack, raise or lower the tongue until front-rear is level
  8. Lower your rear stabilizer jacks

Presto, you are done!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Thank you for all the great info. One thing I didn't tell you is I have one of those slide out braces that help support the slide, don't know if I need it but that is another thing to think about when leveling.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thank you for all the great info. One thing I didn't tell you is I have one of those slide out braces that help support the slide, don't know if I need it but that is another thing to think about when leveling.
Would highly suggest you find another use for your slide out braces to support the slide. IF the camper settles any or you should have a tire go down, there will be damage to the slide that is supported with your supports.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Smile

good to know thank you.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

Leveling seems to be a constant problem of trial and error. This year I intend to go to an empty parking lot that looks level...then level it and screw in the bible levels permanent. I had always used the stick on bubbles which always were questionable. Good luck!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Nothing to add except I really like your name Old Goat Travelers, LMAO.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I use a 2' carpenter's level on the floor, an arms length inside the door. Bubble levels are not accurate enough for my liking, the longer length of the carpenter's level in the middle of the trailer gives a better indication. One of us watches the level and the other repositions the trailer for side to side. Simply watch the level while activating the tongue jack with the remote for front to back. Nothing to attach to the trailer either.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would highly suggest you find another use for your slide out braces to support the slide. IF the camper settles any or you should have a tire go down, there will be damage to the slide that is supported with your supports.
2X
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
I use a 2' carpenter's level on the floor, an arms length inside the door. Bubble levels are not accurate enough for my liking, the longer length of the carpenter's level in the middle of the trailer gives a better indication. One of us watches the level and the other repositions the trailer for side to side. Simply watch the level while activating the tongue jack with the remote for front to back. Nothing to attach to the trailer either.
So much easier to mount the big level on the front of the trailer, use Anderson Levelers and just watch the bubble as you back, lock the wheels, unhook and level front to back, run the stabilizers down and in 5 minutes it's done. Takes from 1 hr to 2 days to finish unloading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	72291  
Old 03-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

I have glued on permanent bubble levels on the drivers side front and the passenger side rear of my TT. I can just about see (I like Old Coots big level) the front level in my rear view mirror and my partner keeps an eye on the rear level. When backing we both try to agree that the trailer is within 1/2 a bubble of being level... equal on front and back. If needed, I pull back forward and use a 2 X 8 board (almost always, if needed) on the driver's side, to put that side higher. If you read the directions on most RV bubble levels they say they are graduated. One mark off level equals one inch needed under the tires on the low side.

A 2 X 8 board is actually 1 5/8 inches tall (not 2"). I have two of these boards I can stack if necessary, but have only needed two boards once on a very unevenly paved site.

Chock your wheels, then unhook the trailer, use your stabilizers to get side to side nearly perfect. In my experience being 1/2 a bubble off makes no difference. I also have one of these bubble levels near the door on the side and the DW watches for front to back level which I perform with the electric jack on the front. I then go around one last time and make sure the 4 corner stailizers are snug to the ground and check the two front/back levels one more time. Do this a couple of times and you will have mastered it.

NOW, if I could only remember to take the antenna mast down each time I move...
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
i don't think that brace is for supporting the slide underneath, which is NOT advised.
it should be a brace for keeping the slide from moving out, while traveling, NOT for underneath.
a pic of it would help figure that out for sure.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

Agree with Mark0224. We level our Windjammer @ 1/4 bubble off, put down the stabilizers, and then run the slides out. The weight of the slides levels it perfectly.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #17

Our owner's manual and dealer requires us to level the trailer first and then put the slide out.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #18

There's an iPhone app called "RV Companion"... It's free. There's a level in the app. Once you calibrate the leveler, you just lay it on the floor of your camper when you pull in. It will tell you exactly how many inches you need to raise which ever side is low. Takes all the guess work out of the process.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #19

Thank you so much for your time and help, We have learned plenty already. We live in Phx. and we are leaving this coming Monday for upper Az. with mountains and Pine trees and just camp out for a while to see how everything works. I want to see if my Dodge ram 1500 4.7 engine auto trans will pull this T.T. up those long steep hills . I expect it to bog down some but if it's real bad I might have to start looking for a diesel .
Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
There's an iPhone app called "RV Companion"... It's free. There's a level in the app. Once you calibrate the leveler, you just lay it on the floor of your camper when you pull in. It will tell you exactly how many inches you need to raise which ever side is low. Takes all the guess work out of the process.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Did they fix the issue where when an item is deleted, it crashes? And, have you ever verified the level accuracy?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, trailer, travel, travel trailer