Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Low water pressure

I have a 195bh and wondering if a water pressure regulator should be used at the campsite faucet hookup? I'm using one that says it's preset to 40-50 psi and we have lousy pressure in the shower. Wondering if I can remove that and safely get better pressure??
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
I have a 195bh and wondering if a water pressure regulator should be used at the campsite faucet hookup? I'm using one that says it's preset to 40-50 psi and we have lousy pressure in the shower. Wondering if I can remove that and safely get better pressure??
Not unless you have a gauge to find out the pressure. You will blow fittings over 65lbs. The shower is a pretty common problem. Most members went to the oxigenic (check spelling) they sell them at CW and combine air and water to create pressure and use about 1/2 the water. They really work great. Also check to see if you have any junk in your shower head. It's always wise to use a pressure regulator you never know when something can increase the pressure at the CG. I use a preset 45 PSI, and with the new shower head my problem ended. Cost about 45.00 but make sure you get a shut off with it (button)...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
H2oski

Try to loosen your regulator a little bit (1/2 to 1 full turn) as long as it doesn't leak. I have found on mine plastice one, if I tighten it to much the valve will hang up and I won't have good pressure.

Good luck
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

I have just switched to the Oxygenetics shower head and it's a little better but not much
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

I always have a guage to see what the CG pressure is. The low pressure may be them and not you.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

I have 3 pressure regulators and never use them. Never had a problem with campground water pressure, but I have had problems with low water pressure when I've tried to use the regulators.
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

I became a believer in the use of the regulator a long time ago, no problem with the trailer lines but the toilet valve would not hold against the pressure. You do not want to awaken at 3AM for a little relief before returning to sleep and find a throne room floor flowing to the low spot. Another reason to have the rv not dead level with a premeditated pitch.
The flow rate of the shower is probably due to the flow restrictors used to keep below the pump output. The other thing is that not all regulators are equal. I have a brass regulator, I believe it is a Watts brand and I also have a cheepo plastic wallyworld. Both keep pressure as advertised but the Watts does it with no noticeable flow restriction while the plastic cheapo passes much less volume. An alternative, if you don't mind a bit of clunkyness would be to use a diaphragm regulator, and gauge with inlet and outlet adapted for hose connections.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #8

second the oxygentics head, made a world of difference, but also sometimes its the campgrounds also
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
I always have a guage to see what the CG pressure is. The low pressure may be them and not you.
X2
I like being able to see what the pressure is.

My shower head was pretty bad and would had been a deal breaker if I saw it in action. After soaking the shower head in CRL and clearing up the clogged holes I'm happy with the cheap shower head that came with the TT.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation View Post
I became a believer in the use of the regulator a long time ago, no problem with the trailer lines but the toilet valve would not hold against the pressure. You do not want to awaken at 3AM for a little relief before returning to sleep and find a throne room floor flowing to the low spot. Another reason to have the rv not dead level with a premeditated pitch.
The flow rate of the shower is probably due to the flow restrictors used to keep below the pump output. The other thing is that not all regulators are equal. I have a brass regulator, I believe it is a Watts brand and I also have a cheepo plastic wallyworld. Both keep pressure as advertised but the Watts does it with no noticeable flow restriction while the plastic cheapo passes much less volume. An alternative, if you don't mind a bit of clunkyness would be to use a diaphragm regulator, and gauge with inlet and outlet adapted for hose connections.
Your correct the pex lines can hold the pressure it the fixtures that are held together with "O" rings that blow. If you change out your faucets to household, your problem is over. The most and common faucets that blow have been the bathroom sink and shower. I don't know what you can do with the toilet but haven't heard of to many of them blowing from over PSI.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

Get a Watts adjustable regulator with guage. The cheap regulators just restrict the water flow.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #12

I had the same problem in my hybrid. I went to Home Depot and got the parts to make an adjustable regulator. I replaced the shower head with the Oxygenics and now we get a great shower.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Your correct the pex lines can hold the pressure it the fixtures that are held together with "O" rings that blow. If you change out your faucets to household, your problem is over. The most and common faucets that blow have been the bathroom sink and shower. I don't know what you can do with the toilet but haven't heard of to many of them blowing from over PSI.
Did not blow, but valve would not hold pressure so it never shut off completely and filled the tank, the black tank!
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #14

I had the same issue at certain campsite. I purchased a high flow one that does a 50 to 55 psi. I have read that newer TT now have lines then can go as high at 100 psi. This high flow that i had specifically states that it's for newer TT.
tomngo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomngo8 View Post
I had the same issue at certain campsite. I purchased a high flow one that does a 50 to 55 psi. I have read that newer TT now have lines then can go as high at 100 psi. This high flow that i had specifically states that it's for newer TT.

Does anyone know the suggested psi for a 2014 salem 195bh?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Does anyone know the suggested psi for a 2014 salem 195bh?
To be honest I don't think they have one. I think that it's more of a # that people will just not go over. I think most will agree that 65 PSI is on the high side with 40 t0 45 on the low. That would be a good poll question.......

Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Just remember that pressure regulators LIMIT pressure; the do not increase it. That being said, a bad one (corroded brass) can deliver lower pressure than the campground's pressure even if in limits.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #18

Some shower valves use a "water restricter" where the shower hose screws on to the valve assembly. Some can be removed and others cannot be removed. Just use a drill to enlarge the hole.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomngo8 View Post

We did the same thing. Even helped our Oxygenics shower head! But best increase was in the kitchen sink.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Some shower valves use a "water restricter" where the shower hose screws on to the valve assembly. Some can be removed and others cannot be removed. Just use a drill to enlarge the hole.

Bob
The PEX and fittings can easily go to 100 PSI. However, the plastic fixtures will fail LONG before the pipes.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water