Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage - update

Just got settled into the RV park here near Hagerman, ID on the Snake river to try our new TT out for the first time. All is great with the following exceptions:

1) hot water heater (LP gas without electric boost) will only stay lit for
about five minutes then shuts off. Have tried it repeatedly. I have to
wait over an hour before it will even try to lite again. We had strong
winds and thought this was the culprit, but stood by it and blocked the
wind and it still only heats for about 5 minutes then shuts down. I have
to push the reset button each time. Called Coach Net and talked to
the tech and he said it may have a bad sail switch, whatever that is.
I'll drop the trailer off at the dealer in Boise on our way home. I'm
hoping they have to replace the water heater. If so, I'll request for an
upgraded one to be installed with the electric booster installed (of
course at my expense) Kinda bummed as we wanted to try out the
shower and the hot water! Both the furnace and stop work perfectly,
so I know there is plenty of LP gas in the tanks.

2) Like many have posted on new trailers the water drain pipes are so
loose the water leaks. Both the kitchen and the bathroom sink were
culprits. Good thing I checked. I'm going to open up the little access
door under the tub and see what that is doing. Sheesh, so loose just a
half of a hand turn tightened them up which prevented the leaks.

Any suggestions about the hot water heater would be appreciated. We will be here until Saturday afternoon and would like to take a warm shower

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Explore

Gary,

Was your water heater tank filled and tested during your PDI? If you had hot water then, then some fault likely in your electrical. I can't help there....back to the dealer is best for warranty work or replacement. Before you take it in, you can check there is water in your hot water tank by briefly opening the pressure relief valve. If no water flows out your bypass/crossover valves may be in the closed position. This may have been done for winterization before you bought your trailer. Something to check if your hot water delivery was not tested during the PDI.

In any event here is a good link with photos on setting the bypass/crossover valves correctly for winterizing and normal operation.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

Good luck. Let us when you find out what the culprit was.

Jim
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Water leak at outdoor shower connections -

After getting the hot water functioning I thought all was well until I went to drain the fresh water tank. I turned the pump on (never did that before except just to see if it worked after filling the fresh water tank our first day at the RV park) and the outside shower began leaking on to the ground from inside the compartment.
I opened up the compartment and saw water running behind the compartment through the gap where the shower hose goes into the trailer. I only discovered this just before the fresh water tank had emptied. I emptied the fresh water tank through the outdoor shower buy just letting the shower head drain into the sewer drain. I didn't think much of it cause I quickly turned off the pump.
After we pulled up camp, we stopped just outside the RV park (on a slant towards the passenger side) to check things and when I opened the TT door, water was running from underneath the bath sink, bath tub, kitchen sink! Not tons, but about 3 little streams.
The water was from the leak of the outdoor shower which leaked behind the bath vanity sink! Luckily we had bath towels, wash clothes and hand towels just below the leaks and it soaked up tons of the water. It also ruined all of the toilet paper we had stored there too.
So strange, because it didn't leak there when the city water was on, only when the pump operated. I looked under the bath sink vanity and tightened all the connections (they were not even hand tightened nor were the sink drains). After tightening everything, no more leaks.
Sheesh, I thought I had tightened all the connections and drains. Moped up the water and everything seems fine. I feared the water would swell up some of the trim wood next to the floor, but so far so good.
I called the dealer and told them about it. I suggested that the people that inspect these new trailers tighten all the connections and drains. I had thought they would have checked them when they winterized everything. I noticed the colored antifreeze under the kitchen sink drain, and had to tighten it to stop it from leaking.
I had heard of this many times here on the forum and I meant to check all of the hose connections and drains. The service department just said that after a trailer travels things loosen up. We had only pulled the trailer about 3 hours total! Anyway, I'm so glad this was the problem and not something worse and apparently no damage.
So, if any of you have a new unit, please check every faucet, drain, hose connection throughout the unit cause they probably are not tight and will cause a similar leak. I'm so glad that it didn't leak worse. Just wanted the forum readers to know.
Other wise wife and I are very pleased with our new unit. I have enjoyed tinkering and makin it home away from home.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
After getting the hot water functioning I thought all was well until I went to drain the fresh water tank. I turned the pump on (never did that before except just to see if it worked after filling the fresh water tank our first day at the RV park) and the outside shower began leaking on to the ground from inside the compartment.
I opened up the compartment and saw water running behind the compartment through the gap where the shower hose goes into the trailer. I only discovered this just before the fresh water tank had emptied. I emptied the fresh water tank through the outdoor shower buy just letting the shower head drain into the sewer drain. I didn't think much of it cause I quickly turned off the pump.
After we pulled up camp, we stopped just outside the RV park (on a slant towards the passenger side) to check things and when I opened the TT door, water was running from underneath the bath sink, bath tub, kitchen sink! Not tons, but about 3 little streams.
The water was from the leak of the outdoor shower which leaked behind the bath vanity sink! Luckily we had bath towels, wash clothes and hand towels just below the leaks and it soaked up tons of the water. It also ruined all of the toilet paper we had stored there too.
So strange, because it didn't leak there when the city water was on, only when the pump operated. I looked under the bath sink vanity and tightened all the connections (they were not even hand tightened nor were the sink drains). After tightening everything, no more leaks.
Sheesh, I thought I had tightened all the connections and drains. Moped up the water and everything seems fine. I feared the water would swell up some of the trim wood next to the floor, but so far so good.
I called the dealer and told them about it. I suggested that the people that inspect these new trailers tighten all the connections and drains. I had thought they would have checked them when they winterized everything. I noticed the colored antifreeze under the kitchen sink drain, and had to tighten it to stop it from leaking.
I had heard of this many times here on the forum and I meant to check all of the hose connections and drains. The service department just said that after a trailer travels things loosen up. We had only pulled the trailer about 3 hours total! Anyway, I'm so glad this was the problem and not something worse and apparently no damage.
So, if any of you have a new unit, please check every faucet, drain, hose connection throughout the unit cause they probably are not tight and will cause a similar leak. I'm so glad that it didn't leak worse. Just wanted the forum readers to know.
Other wise wife and I are very pleased with our new unit. I have enjoyed tinkering and makin it home away from home.
Wow, glad to hear you had no water damage. A short trip to an RV Park a few nights for the first trips out is a good way to test all systems before taking a longer journey.. That's what we are doing. Will for sure check all my water connections on our next trip on Monday. It will be our third 100 mile trip in our new trailer to an RV Park. We have a 2K mile trip in May and want to be sure our trailer makes it, especially with no water leaks.

How did you get your water heater working. Were you able to get a heated shower during your stay?

Jim
Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Yes, the bypass valve was open! Only got warm water because it mixed with the cold. I had to call the dealer to find out where the valves were! I guess I should have know, because I knew where the hot water heater was, under our bed! It worked well and enjoyed a nice hot shower. Lots to learn with these rigs, this being my 4th!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

Here's a few pics of our 2 nite stay at 1000 Springs RV park near Hagerman, ID
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_142046378.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	102989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_142417456_HDR.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	102990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_142426429_HDR.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	102991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_143129149.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	102992  

Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

Good grief, what an experience. Glad you were able to find it and clean up quickly to avoid more damage!
Old 03-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
Explore

Nice pics.....and your trailer too.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #9

I think our first camping trips,,, should be in our own back yard !!!
LOL !!!

Nice Photos !!! Are you able to pull that TT with that car ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Very nice photos!

This is why we should all check every connection before hand, my experience wasn't as bad as yours but we had water leaking from the shower, unfortunately this is a very common problem and not just forest river. My friends keystone was leaking from shower and under sink in kitchen.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

I had a similar problem with my Salem Hemisphere. Got to our destination and set up, we noticed water coming from under the sink in the island. We had driven 8 hours on our second leg of our trip and agreed, the interstate was a bit bumpy. While making something to eat, we heard water running under the sink. Looked under the sink and the connection must have been so loose that the nut came off the drain pipe while driving down the road. It couldn't have been very tight for the pipe to separate like that. I then checked all the pipes that I could reach and the rest were ok. That should be on the personal checklist for the first couple of trips after buying a new unit.
GDoubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I think our first camping trips,,, should be in our own back yard !!!
LOL !!!

Nice Photos !!! Are you able to pull that TT with that car ???
Yes, the new TT is right at my weight limit. It's an 08 AWD Cadillac SRX 6 cylinder SUV with the towing package (20" wheels, trans cooler, etc) and a heavy duty hitch and weight distribution unit.

Cadillac just said don't get in a hurry. I'm quite impressed actually with how it tows. I got 10+ mpg going from Boise to Twin Falls. I went about 60mph. The electric brakes with the prodigy II controller is excellent as well. The towing capacity of the SUV is 4500lbs and the trailer is rated 4,300 lbs. I don't travel with any liquids in the tanks. I'm thinking about removing the very heavy bike rack on the rear of the trailer. It must be 150+lbs with the spare tire and the rack. I can barely lift it up because it has to be lowered to hook up the city water.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, the new TT is right at my weight limit. It's an 08 AWD Cadillac SRX 6 cylinder SUV with the towing package (20" wheels, trans cooler, etc) and a heavy duty hitch and weight distribution unit.

Cadillac just said don't get in a hurry. I'm quite impressed actually with how it tows. I got 10+ mpg going from Boise to Twin Falls. I went about 60mph. The electric brakes with the prodigy II controller is excellent as well. The towing capacity of the SUV is 4500lbs and the trailer is rated 4,300 lbs. I don't travel with any liquids in the tanks. I'm thinking about removing the very heavy bike rack on the rear of the trailer. It must be 150+lbs with the spare tire and the rack. I can barely lift it up because it has to be lowered to hook up the city water.
Thanks for the reply !!! Very Interesting !!!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

OK, you are clearly exceeding the Caddy's specs.

The 4300 number you're using is the fictional "dry" weight, based on a stripped down version of the trailer. If it's a 261bhxl.
I'll bet that the factory UVW yellow weight sticker will show the weight to be over the Caddy's 4500lbs max.
And that 4500 number is rated with only a 150lb driver in it. No passengers and no cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #15

Best thing to do to know what you have is weigh it. Our Cruise Lite sticker says 6090#. On our way home from the dealer we pulled into the grain elevator I used to work at it weighed 6920! Then when got water hooked to in the driveway, like you we had indoor and outdoor kitchen sink and toilet lines leaking! I called the dealer and asked him with 3 water lines not even close to hand tight did it pass a pressure test? Hmmm....
From one newbie to another, welcome!

2010 Ford Expedition EL Limited

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 282QBXL
Williamson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #16

Sounds like Gary should trade his Caddy for a F-250 Crew Cab !!!
Then he can load his TT to the max !!!
LOL !!!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #17

I just checked the towing capacity with the Curt hitch and leveling sway bars it is rated for 500lbs hitch weight and 5,000lbs empty weight. The trailer with the bike rack on the yellow sticker says 4765lbs empty weight. I'm removing the bike rack, that should take away about 150lbs leaving the spare on a bumper holder that I will get and bolt on. That should make it much more within the weight limit. I never carry water or partial/full grey or black tanks. I at least feel better about it. It does handle very well and the SUV power seems adequate.