Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We both have back issues (I have two herniated disks) so always replace our stock mattresses with better ones from a local furniture store.

Those Sleep Number bed folks even have RV-sized mattresses but no way in heck are we paying $2,000 for a souped-up air mattress!!

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
We use a 'feather-bed' on the dinette to give it some extra comfort. Found that was easier to store than the memory foam toppers, since we use it only on occasion.
Interesting. Where did you get it? Can you provide a link? I want to see what you have.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We tried a thin (1 1/2") memory foam topper on the hide-away, but it wouldn't close up correctly with it on, so we took it off. The feather bed topper may be a viable solution for this.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #14

We put 3" foam under the bunk mattresses.. need to watch that you don't make it too thick. We had cupboards for the kids clothes at the end of the bed.. any thicker and the door would not open. After 4 years, the queen mattress was flat, so we ordered a Home style pillow top, pocket coil mattress from a local mattress store. They were able to order it at the correct RV length at no extra cost.. It is beautiful.. except that we needed to buy a set of stairs so the dog could get up on the bed..
Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
Happy Camper

I got some 2" foam toppers from walmart.com. I will need to cut them down to size. We will see how they do. I think I will go sleep out in the camper one of these pleasant spring nights just to see how they sleep.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #16

Agree with using foam mattress toppers. We still had the 3" (I think) kig-size toppers from our pop-up, so I trimmed one of those to full-queen size (for the master bed in the 5er), and cut the other into two separate toppers for the bunks.

Using an electric carving knife to trim the foam to size works amazingly well. Just mark the line on the foam using a sharpie, have the foam flat, or ideally slightly elevated (I used several lengths of 2x4 I had handy) above a flat hard floor, and just cut through in a slow steady motion.
Haven't found anything else that will cut through it as well as an electric carving knife. A jigsaw, or even bandsaw, won't work well because it just tries to push the foam out of the way. The double reciprocating blades on the carving knife make short work of it though.
Very useful if you can't get a custom size foam to fit those non-standard bunks
Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Agree with using foam mattress toppers. We still had the 3" (I think) kig-size toppers from our pop-up, so I trimmed one of those to full-queen size (for the master bed in the 5er), and cut the other into two separate toppers for the bunks.

Using an electric carving knife to trim the foam to size works amazingly well. Just mark the line on the foam using a sharpie, have the foam flat, or ideally slightly elevated (I used several lengths of 2x4 I had handy) above a flat hard floor, and just cut through in a slow steady motion.
Haven't found anything else that will cut through it as well as an electric carving knife. A jigsaw, or even bandsaw, won't work well because it just tries to push the foam out of the way. The double reciprocating blades on the carving knife make short work of it though.
Very useful if you can't get a custom size foam to fit those non-standard bunks
Great tip! I will use our electric knife. And I figure with the 2" topper, if I find it is not thick enough I can add another 1" or 2" under it.

Tags
bed