Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Major problem with my 2013 346Qbud

So we got to camp last weekend and during a rain storm we hear a big splash of water come off the top of the camper. I think to myself, self, that's not right. After the rain stopped I climbed up on the camper to find the rubber roof has pulled away from the very front of the coach. Six feet wide and twelve feet long, the rubber roof is pulled back with just plywood visible.

I inspected the front and roof for any sign of damage from hitting something and could not find anything that would have caused the rubber roof to be damaged and then pull away from the front in the wind as we drove. I have no idea how much water got into the camper or what is even under the plywood.

I'm concerned about the insulation being wet, the plywood rotting, possible interior damage, etc...

I called my dealer and they are going to call me back today and see if they can send someone to where it's parked because I can't move it down the road in this shape.

Anyone know how hard they fight warranty work on roofs? If it is a warranty issue, will they give me a different camper to use while mine's being fixed? Or how long it takes to replace a rubber roof?

I'm slowly seeing my summer slip away and in Northern Minny, that doesn't take very long.
Sunnyj1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

Happens more often than you think. Just watch all the campers running down the interstate. How many have you seen with that rubber roof bubbled up in the front? I can count several every single trip we make. It happened to my brother in law too. It usually starts at the front seem where the cap or front meets the rubber. One tiny section of bad sealant, trim not secured properly etc etc. Anything to get that first tiny bit of air under that roof, and that's a wrap. It's coming up. Our dealer as had several show up from Indiana, brand new, with the roof like that.

I hope you have luck getting FR to repair / replace your roof. I hope it is still in warranty. If not, I would be willing to bet you'd be on your own, as FR will say it's due to lack of maintenance and inspection of the roof.

Replacing a roof is only a 1-2 day job depending on the shop. But, who knows what else is damaged. Should it get into wood and insulation replacement, could be who knows how long. They're probably not going to give you a different camper to use while you're is being fixed. Just doesn't work like a car dealer.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

During our trip to CA last year I saw a 5th wheel traveling in the opposite direction with a HUGE bubble in the roof membrane in the front of the camper.

Air pressure had actually delaminated the rubber from the plywood and had pulled it away (might have been a 2-3 FEET above the roof line).

It has freaked me out ever since as the guy was clueless it was happening. I was on the roof immediately after we got into our site looking for "stretch marks" in the rubber. I did not see any but worry about it constantly.

I have even considered mounting a remote camera up there JUST to be sure!

Not done it (yet), but still worry about it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Not a bad idea really. Remote camera would also be handy to see if you clear trees and limbs, or anything else.

On my way home from work today, I seen a couple with the rubber bubbled up in the front. Seems like I see them a LOT.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #5

My roof ripped off 700 miles from home my RV was just over a year old. I found a local Forest River dealer they wanted to keep it for a week. Needless to say it was at the begining of our trip and I needed th RV. I called my dealer and they arranged for a temp fix over the roof that took about 5 hours and then when I got back from our trip I dropped it to my dealer for a full roof replacement they got Forest river to pickup the cost for the temp fix and replacement when the dealer I stopped at couldn't help me and wanted to charge me. I've put almost 4000 miles on it since then. They did an awesome job! This is my second RV from this dealer and I will go back to them when I'm ready for another, customer support is great....
wcnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags