Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #91
Villa Estate 392FLFB
yup. thats right amarettl3. the fact it zig zags back and forth so much is what i find frustrating and a source of freezup problems.

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #92
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
When someone joins our chat group and their first post is
a rant about how they bought such and such a trailer and it's a total
piece of crap, leaky roof, bad floors, poor carpet, etc etc I get
kind of defensive.
I like my trailer.
It's a Forest River!

And like I said, the first thing that comes to mind when I read
your post is "did you buy the thing sight un-seen"???
You wouldn't buy a car or a house without a thorough test drive or
walk thru.
Why buy a trailer that way??

If you talked to the dealer the way you typed here they are most
likely on the defensive and not in the mood to help you.
I also echo the others who said call Forest River.
Talk nice! If you pi-- off every one you talk to they are
not going to want to help you.
See about switching to another dealer who might try to take care
of you.
If you really and truly totally hate the trailer talk to a lawyer.
See what the dealer wants to take it back and cut your losses.
My 2
I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion of what to expect from a supplier of camper trailer. You seemed fair in your expectaions.

I purchased a Puma 27KFQ travel trailer brand new from Minards Leisure World Weyburn Sk. in May 2010. This is the first camper trailer I have owned and pull it with a 2002 GMC Sierra Deisel.
I had phoned and told them about a few issues/ problems I was having with the camper from that same month on. I was told when I purchased the trailer that they have a travelling service team and if I was not in a rush they could stop by and fix it in my driveway. That never happened. I phoned multiple times over the next few months and Year to come. I told them they could have it all winter and fix the items at their conveniece since I winterize and store the trailer from October to May every year. I was told they have no room to put it and that year they had a lot to handle due to a flood in the area. So I said we can handle it later in the spring which was no big deal.
I purchased an extra 6 Years of warranty on the camper at a significant expense at the time of purchase. I phoned again the next spring/summer and told them of some problems I was having with the fender skirts, a few cabinet door issues, a bathroom door knob, carpet and cushions that were wearing out.
I was told that the issues would be addressed. I used the camper for a few small trips in 2011.
I phoned again near the fall to book it in for the repairs & some SGI repairs from hitting a sign. I was told they were booked for that winter 2011/12 winter and I should call them in the spring time, so I winterized the camper & stored it.
I phoned in the spring (March) and asked when I could bring it down to get it fixed and have the SGI claim dealth with at the same time. I was then told that they do not do repairs on damaged units in the summer because the servicing of the new trailers is so time consuming.
At this point I am upset that they seem to have given me the run around and wasted more than a year of my time. I asked about the warranty issues to be resolved and have heard only that it has been to long now. I have even spoke with the Owner and have only been told rudely that I should expect them to do nothing and that is that. I feel that I have been lied to and cheated. I hope nobody has to deal with the same garbage I and my family have.

P.S. I love camping with my family & I know I will own different campers along the way. I do like my Puma trailer, the kids love it. I just wish the manufacturer would repremand these dealers that cause customers to stay away.

SkFamilyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #93
Originally Posted by SkFamilyMan View Post
I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion of what to expect from a supplier of camper trailer. You seemed fair in your expectaions....

I'd check over your warranty paperwork but I'm pretty sure you can take it to any certified dealer for warranty service work. Call around?

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2013 Salem 26TBUD
nullvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #94
If the dealer doesn't fix it to your liking, then I would request that forest river pick the unit up and take it to the factory for repairs. I know from experience that fr is good about making good on there products. I have had many different brands of campers and they are all made of the same junk. They just put different stickers on them. Of the 3 different manufactures I have owned FR has been the best at making stuff right.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #95
Originally Posted by ilovecamping View Post
It is a very light weight trailer and therefore you have to deal with less quality.
Its sad to say but this idea is industry wide. The dealers and more importantly US as the consumer have just accepted this as just the way it works. Shame on you all MFR's for this....

I am just as guilty of it....while we have had good luck with our unit there have been things that have broken I did not hold the dealer or MFG responsible for. Crank Tounge jack failed, Awning travel lock broke, Screen door latch broke, Screen door never closed right and main kitchen cabinet fell the end i fixed these issues because it was easy stuff to handle and the cost of fuel to take the camper to service was more than the parts!
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #96
This is the way to do it. You have to be a handy person to fix all these small items. I can tell you that I use some gel crazy glue on the treads of screws that dont hold properly and specially for the inside C cabinets etc ) It work perfect and they dont get loose anymore after.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #97
Wow! I just read all 96 posts of this thread. Like reading a good book. It started strong and finished strong(I hope). Went from one direction to the other. Still don't know what happened!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #98
Totally agree.
2013 Surveyor 235 RKS
2010 GMC Savana AWD 5.3L
Mr. Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #99
We purchased a 2013 Columbus by Forrest River in May and I will agree the the quality of the workmanship is lacking. Have had several issues, some the dealer fixed and some I fixed. It is suspect when talking to the tech at the dealer that he knows exactly what is wrong when you explain the problem-he says this happens all the time.
We have owned 2 Hitchhikers prior to this one and I tell you they have a great quality control system in place prior to the units leaving the factory.
brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #100
I previously owned a Jayco and can tell you that I see no difference between the quality of that unit and my FR. No, change that, I think the FR has better quality. I have read about issues that people have from all manufacturers from different forums and have come to the belief that a lot of the problems could have been resolved with a more thorough PDI and walk-through and a good dealer that takes care of their customer before AND after the sale. Plus, let's face it, these aren't toys you can grab and play with whenever you want. They require routine, constant maintenance. If nothing else, they sit out all day baking in the sun. When that's not happening, they are getting rained on or snow is mounding on the roof. When that isn't happening, they are getting pulled down the highway at 70 MPH dodging potholes. We want them to be as reliable as our cars and the appliances to be as reliable as those in our houses but it's an entirely different animal.

2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
2011 Ram 2500HD Hemi
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote