Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #101

I had an Aerolite by Thor, a Nomad Joey by Skyline, a Coachmen Class C, and now a Surveyor by FR. I never had major problems with any. I must be lucky. I did buy a carport to keep my camper covered. It was pretty inexpensive and helps avoid the dreaded leaks and sun damage to tires etc.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about all of the issues. If it helps a number to reach Forest River is 574-642-2640
Salem's rep is Tony Hufnagle.
517-534-3167 or 574-537-1175 direct

Don't tell him I told you because I'm hitting him for a kitchen faucet which leaks, a broken tongue jack, a slide out which has rubbed its way through the siding in the corner and a fitting to the galley tank which needs replacing (only replaceable with the the tank itself being replaced).

Thats in addition to the 5 tires which were defective, the door lock which would but not unlock, the awning clips which were broken, the window trim which became a javeln, the air pockets under the rubber roof (think I found the missing wrench under it...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #103

Just saying that a lot of the problems with my unit should have been caught at final inspection. Yes we did a predelivery inspection and also had a few issues there that were addressed. Some things you just cannot check until you are out and using them. The big 3 learned a lesson during the 80's about not shipping cars until a quality check was done on them. Just saying that the quality control and final inspection are lacking. I paid a lot more for this unit than I did my last car and did not expect this kind of workmanship.
brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Just saying that a lot of the problems with my unit should have been caught at final inspection. Yes we did a predelivery inspection and also had a few issues there that were addressed. Some things you just cannot check until you are out and using them. The big 3 learned a lesson during the 80's about not shipping cars until a quality check was done on them. Just saying that the quality control and final inspection are lacking. I paid a lot more for this unit than I did my last car and did not expect this kind of workmanship.
I agree with you.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #105

I picked up my Salem on the 29th of June and drove it straight to a campground for the holiday weekend. My wife is pregnant/morning sickness and our 16 month old was with us during the inspection at pick up. Needless to say it wasn't as thorough as I would have liked.

I found that our grill hinge for the outside kitchen was warped and we had a defective tire. Our dealer had no problem fixing the problems that we should have caught on our inspection. They told me again today "these things happen, don't worry about it. Keep a list when you go out and we will take care of it...no problem." Still waiting on a replacement tire but I feel very satisfied with the product overall and especially the service with my dealer in SC.
forensicdeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensicdeac View Post
Still waiting on a replacement tire but I feel very satisfied with the product overall and especially the service with my dealer in SC.
They couldn't take a tire and rim off another trailer and wait for that one to come in?
I've seen what happens to haulers without a spare. Its not pretty.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #107

I believe they are were working with the tire company to get a replacement through warranty. I told them that I am not in a huge rush to get the trailer back because I am busy traveling on business anyway. So far I am very happy with the service.
forensicdeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #108

I found this thread very entertaining to read. I purchased a FEMA Forestriver Salem a bit back. I am gutting and rebuilding it. Everyone knows these FEMA jobs were slapped together quickly and shoved out the factory door as fast as possible. While ripping the guts out I found the workmanship to be so so. I found the products like the bench seats and bunk beds to be cheap. I'm not complaining, because I also found that just about everything else to be solid as a rock and very difficult to disassemble. I'm not saying there were no what I would call craftsman errors. There were, but the stuff was still built solid. I've rebuilt one other trailer and I can say this FR was built fairly well. As for the guy saying his 5k lbs TT weighing in at close to 10k, sorry I don't believe that. Something was wrong with the scales. A simple rule here for those who think they shouldn't have to do maintenance is to look at mobile homes. Every time a mobile home is moved, all connections (water, gas, and electrical) are fully checked because the vibration of movement causes leaks and shorts. A TT is moved much more, so a complete check of all connections at least in the spring and fall is a very good idea. Also, a complete check is not a walk through. Pressurize the lines, connect the electrical, check everything...under sinks, drains, all outlets, run the A/C, run the heater, check all seals and calked areas...RV's cost a great del of money. Why would anyone not ensure the money spent lasts as long as possible. As for the original post...was any research time spent finding out about the dealer? Several people posted that the dealer of purchase was bad. Research before spending a dime. Trust no dealer and especially no salesman...ever! They both are there to do nothing more than take your money.
EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem