Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #61
Wanna Be Camper

In the you get what you pay for yes you do, however you should still expect to get a decent product. Our last TT an Edgewater 298BHE 33' with rear bunk house slept 10. We paid 19k for it and thought wow all this for so little. After a year the trailer was still working fine however our backs didn't appreciate the el chepo mattress and you couldn't sit at the foam covered bench seat at the table for more than 1/2 hr before your butt felt like it was going to break, the couch was very uncomfortable as well. The mattresses in the bunkhouse were very cheap as well. The stove had no cover and manual light on everything but it all worked. When you looked at the frame construction you could tell it was cheaply made and it had steel wheels with standard leaf spring suspension and 20lb propane bottles with a cover from the dealer but it all worked. It had no roof ladder or rock guard on the nose but it all worked and at 2 years old was all still working flawlessly when we traded it in and got 5k more for it than we paid (No that is not a misprint). So you can buy a cheap trailer and expect it to work fine and that is a reasonable expectation. Last spring when were we at the RV shows looking at what we wanted to buy we went into a few Jayco units and were horrified at the poor quality of the 30 to 40k units, there were screws falling out of cabinets, the 10 or 12 inch wide wallpaper trim you see in alot of trailer halfway up the walls was comming off in a few units, the tub surrounds were not even sealed and in a couple came down barely far enough to cover the lip of the tubs, loose kitchen cabinets and the list goes on. THis is an example of the you don't get what you think you paid for. We love our V-Lite, it has had a few minor issues with things FR has no real control over but the overall build quality of this unit is second to none and I would get another in a heartbeat.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #62

Thanks to TheSasks. You stated what I was trying to, only better.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #63
The Old Man

I think for any price that it should be assumed that a brand-new RV won't leak, that the plumbing and drains don't leak, and other basics like AC/DC, slide mechanisms, or televisions are in safe working order. How can anyone expect less even on the cheapest units?

Yes, there are warranties, but if poor workmanship results in a hidden water line leaking unseen until it reaches a point that damage appears, that is just negligence. Or if roof seals are poorly done and the first time it rains damage appears then even if fixed the damage is done. In most cases, such things (like roof leaks) are going to be discovered before the sale while a unit is waiting to be sold. For that reason, I personally would be reluctant to buy a custom ordered unit direct from a factory. Now I see from these forums that some dealers offer no value at all, but I would say that most of the good dealers are going to find and fix the most obvious issues before a unit is sold, or at least make every effort to fix problems while under warranty.

Manufacturers have analysts who develop cost/benefit ratios to determine how much effort to put into higher quality materials and quality control vs the cost of fixing things under warranty. Better materials and QC in the factory is a cost on EVERY vehicle, whereas fixing things under warranty only effects some PERCENTAGE below 100% of vehicles produced. The difference goes into the profit margin and is one determinate of price. That is just common sense.

However, what manufacturers and dealers don't seem to take into account is that RVs are purchased for recreational purposes and when poor workmanship causes the loss of our precious TIME to get these issues repaired after the fact it tarnishes their reputation. I don't want to spend my vacation time or weekends hauling my rig to a service center--no matter how good--and sitting in a waiting room reading old magazines. That is not what I bought the RV for!

Now, on the other hand, consumers need to match their needs and expectations to what they are buying. If I'm a salesman who travels 200,000 miles per year, then a $20,000 car is probably not my best choice unless I'm willing to spend a considerable amount of time at the dealership. I have to decide how much my time is worth. But I still have the right to expect that for at least the first 10-20K miles that nothing is going to leak or break.

In the case of RVs, it isn't reasonable I don't think--just as an example--to expect the cheapest TT to be hauled over rough terrain week-after-week or towed 100,000 miles the first year. The thing is just going to fall apart and that is built into the price. But if that same unit gets moved once to a lot or campground somewhere and parked then it should last a lot longer.

I've had 4 RVs and learned some of these lessons the hard way. But if we consider that even a set of good truck tires can cost $1000 these days, it is amazing that a portable house can even be built for $20-30,000! If you could even buy a real house for that little, and you lived in it for any amount of time, what kind of problems would it be reasonable to expect?

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarettl3 View Post
I have been in the service business for years, and this is what I've noticed, peoples expectations are unbelievable...they want the best and yet don't want to pay for it...
You have to be kidding me.

Did you even read my post? There isn't a single properly installed component in my Forest river TT. I paid well over 20k for this pile of sh*t and expect it to last at least more than 3 years. I know now, that will NOT happen. These salem TTs are made with such haste that they cant even properly secure the studs in the walls correctly.

I would NEVER trust a service department of a rv dealer to do any job correctly. I made that mistake once and will never again.

Word of advice: When people bitch at you for "fixing" something and it still doesen't work, yet you still took there money, EXPECT to see their bad side.

'07 Salem T26BH
If you want to buy one of these just take the cash, wad it up and throw it into the garbage.
eightrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Wow, that is a huge difference.
Exact weight was 9946 with truck disconnected, no water at all (blown out), nothing inside like plates, silverware, bedding etc..... Both propane tanks removed and no spare tire/holder.

'07 Salem T26BH
If you want to buy one of these just take the cash, wad it up and throw it into the garbage.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Holy Schnikes!!

How is that even possible?? How can the ultra lite frame and axles even hold that much?? I cant imagine those tires are rated for a weight anywhere near 5 tons!
There is something seriously wrong with that TT if it weighs 5 tons. You are talking about almost twice as much weight as the UVW sticker says it is.
Are you hiding bars of gold in it somewhere?
I'd love to see an ultralight frame. Mine is boxed steel.

'07 Salem T26BH
Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #67

[QUOTE=grhodes50;67299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmixer View Post
Thank you. I just want to get this thing fixed but that looks doubtful.QUOTE]

Hang in there. I've had my share of problems, but FR will help. Just in case, here's that ph# again, 574-642-2640.

It's okay to vent. Get some of that frustration out. When you feel ready to tackle some of thise problems, just ask some questions. There are some knowledable people on this forum. If you ask about a specific problem you can probably get some good info. Most people on here will do what they can to help to get you back to camping.

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you.
Call that number and EXPECT to get the run around and add to your frustration.

Forest river will find/make up ANY type of neglect on your behalf to get out of a warranty claim. They even went as far as to tell me that my warranty was no good on the east coast and was only good in California, Arizona and Nevada.

'07 Salem T26BH
Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post
eightrac where did you go to weigh this 5 ton trailer?
Truck stop scale in southern MD. I actually weighed it on two different scales becasue I didn't believe it.

'07 Salem T26BH
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #69

[QUOTE=eightrac;68982]You have to be kidding me.

Did you even read my post? There isn't a single properly installed component in my Forest river TT. I paid well over 20k for this pile of sh*t and expect it to last at least more than 3 years.

There isn't a single properly installed component in your forest river TT??? So ALL THE COMPONENTS are not installed properly? Aren't you exaggerating a bit if you're saying not a single component is installed properly...if you exaggerate about that, it's hard to believe whatever else follows.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #70
Site Team - Lou

OK guys, We need to lighten up here.

If you have issues with Forest River regarding your camper, the venue is with them. If you want to just rant, please take it elsewhere.

This forum is used to provide help for folks who need it not a podium for spewing bile.

If this thread does not stop being so goofy it will be closed for sure.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem