Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Modifying back dinette in 30kqbss into larger bed

Any of you Salem 30KQBSS owners out there..have you thought about modifying the back dinette in the bunk house to a larger bed. I'm thinking about taking the smaller cabinet out and modifying something that will allow for a larger mattress and bed out of the dinette portion.
turleybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #2

We have the u shape dinette. This past weekend we elected to make it into our primary bed. I used the cushions to form a base then used the 60" x 80" bunk end mattress placed to form a T. After adding topper and making the bed it was okay but needed more support.

I considered using some 1/2" pl ywood to create the extra 20" I need, figured I could use x boards to make support for the bottom. I could then use an air mattress that could easily be stored if we don't make the bed.

Having said all that, I will be interested to see others responses. Thanks for a great thread subject :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

The wife and I did some measuring on Saturday for the bunkhouse. The dinette bed is 71 inches long. We will take out the thin cabinet at the end of the trailer which is an additional 18 inches. We will be able to fit a 47X71 inch mattress after we complete the modifications. Really looks to be fairly straight forward. Only hitch is there is a breaker panel underneath the dinette seat closest to the door. Just need to be able to keep access to that panel. The bed will block the door...but you'll just need to crawl over it to get in and out...no biggie.
turleybe is offline   Reply With Quote