Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

My modular bunk remodel 262bhxl

Well i wanted to open up some more space for a slim recliner when the daughters and grands kids are not with me so i decided to modify my bunk area and make it modular . i moved the power panel and made a box with removable top over it and the water heater and added cleats and a wall plate for the ladder wall , the wall plate keeps the bunk bed panels from sliding forward . the ladder wall has a cleat for each bed panel to rest on and there are two pins on top and bottom bunk panels that slide into the cleats and hold the wall and bunks together .
it all goes back together in about 15min and looks factory . the bunks i made are two panels each and and were made with 1/8" ply framed with 1x2 and 1-1/2 foam glued to together with gorilla glue and are super strong much stronger then the factory ones . when broken down the four bunk parts / mattresses and ladder wall store under my bed just perfect so i always have them with the trailer . i ordered a matching window to put in the lower bunk area also so i have a window to look out while kicking back in the recliner .
also thinking of changing the swing of the bathroom door to open against the pantry cabinets ? not sure about that because i would need new jamb material and not sure where to get that at ?
hope these pictures work ?

Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Happy Camper

Wow, that is amazing. I would never have thought of that. We are camping this weekend, so I'm going to have a look at mine and see if I want to do something similar. Was the flooring already under there, or did you have to add it?
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Very cool! Nice job.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

thanks guys . ya the flooring was there but under the rug there is a 3/4" hole where the 12v wires went to the converter .
thinking about carpeting that area .
taking everything out was very difficult because the bunks were screwed from the outside before they sheeted the exterior . i had to take the cross framing out for the bunks then flex the side boards up and down till the screws broke .
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Very nice maybe find a laminate flooring close to that I have used nail gun at one end to hold the trim and keep it from moving around then allow the other end space to expand and contract....I have also used laminate flooring in some older units a wainscotting to repair walls works good and I used out side oak corner trimmed thru the table saw as a small chair rail stained to match, quick fix and it adds a little look to the older campers...just an idea...good job on the conversion.
RaystownRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, modifications