Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #1

Need help - maiden voyage

2016 Hemisphere 356QB. First trip out and seem to have issues, hope some one is still awake.

Filed our fresh water tank to try out the pump. The pump keeps running non stop. All inside and outside valves are closed. Tank fill valve is closed.....keeps on running. Open the sink in the coach and it just sputters!

Hot water heater is gas and electric. To operate on electric only do I just flip the switch on the hot water heater and not the switch in the coach? Seems when I flip the switch in the coach, it fires the burner.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2500 6.7L 4x4
2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB
Andersen Ultimate Hitch (over gooseneck ball)
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #2

I'm on my maiden voyage and had a couple issues too. You might see my earlier post about them.

Yes, the electric switch inside the hot water compartment is for the electric boost. I believe you do not need the interior rocker lighted switch on to operate the electric heat for the hot water. The interior rocker lighted switch operates the LP heating unit for the hot water unit.

When I turn my inside switch on, my hot water heater will only operate about 5 minutes then goes out. I push the reset, flip switch again, and it lights and stays lit for about 5 minutes again, then goes out. Guess I'll take it back to the dealer to deal with. I think I'm going to have a dual heating (LP & elec) hot water unit installed and take the original one out. I'd have hot water tonight if I had one like yours.

I hope this helps. Please post your results. Hope things go better. I don't have any help for the water pump. Sounds like lots of air in the lines. Do you have water in your fresh water tank? If not, it would sound like this.

I had leaks at all water drains where the drain pipes connect. You might check and tighten like I did. Otherwise you might have leaks like I did.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:04 AM   #3

If you are not getting water inside the unit do not fire up the WH. Check at the water pump and see if the valve to winterize the unit in in the proper location. If the pump is running and no water the valve is most likely in the wrong position or the fresh water tank in empty.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you are not getting water inside the unit do not fire up the WH. Check at the water pump and see if the valve to winterize the unit in in the proper location. If the pump is running and no water the valve is most likely in the wrong position or the fresh water tank in empty.
I finally just turned the pump off. We would get water in the coach, but it would sputter and sputter and sputter, never a constant stream.

I filled the fresh water tank until it came out of the overflow and my meter says full. There is water in there.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #5

Stop! but it may be to Late! Do NOT turn on any thing to/for the W/H untill it is FULL of WATER! It takes a while to Fill! When all of the "Sputtering" stops at your H & C outlets,then you can try your W/H on Gas or Elect.! You MAY have already done Damage to the Heat el? Youroo!!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Stop! but it may be to Late! Do NOT turn on any thing to/for the W/H untill it is FULL of WATER! It takes a while to Fill! When all of the "Sputtering" stops at your H & C outlets,then you can try your W/H on Gas or Elect.! You MAY have already done Damage to the Heat el? Youroo!!

The W/H should have been full. It was hooked up to city water first. Then I filled the fresh tank then turned the W/H on.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
The W/H should have been full. It was hooked up to city water first. Then I filled the fresh tank then turned the W/H on.
You didnt say about the City Water in your 1st Post! So did all outlets run smooth and you had Hot water while you were on City? if so and now on pump your Winter Valve is still on Anti-freeze. Turn to FWTank and it should work! Youroo!!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #8

Quote:
You didnt say about the City Water in your 1st Post! So did all outlets run smooth and you had Hot water while you were on City? if so and now on pump your Winter Valve is still on Anti-freeze. Turn to FWTank and it should work! Youroo!!
New coach for us. How do I get to my pump?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
This is your problem. Such a simple fix for something that seems so drastic.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This is your problem. Such a simple fix for something that seems so drastic.

Bruce
??? - Bruce - I am not following.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

If you know where the pump is located it will be behind a false panel or door. There should be a valve at the pump this will be the valve and hose to add antifreeze to the unit. This should have been shown to you during your PDI walk through.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #12

My process for starting up is open pressure relief valve on water heater until water flows out and then shut. Then go to each facet and run hot and cold sides until each run smooth. This clears lines of air and everything runs smooth. This assumes pump is in the normal operating position not antifreeze fill position. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #13

There should be 2 valves in the front drivers side compartment next to your water connections. One is a small white valve and the other is the red hot water bypass valve. Make sure the white valve is on to pull water from the fresh water tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458937739.529510.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	102816

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
??? - Bruce - I am not following.
I guess i could have used a better word than "drastic." All I was meaning to say was for something that seems like it's going to take extreme measures to repair, it really is a simple fix.

Bruce
Old 03-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #15
Chief tinkerer

G'mornin camplight. Curious, did you figger it out?
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

Good morning all. Thank you for the comments pictures and help. First thing yesterday morning, I dug into this. Yes, I got it figured out. Here is what I learned from my setup.

Found the pump and the vacuum side does not have a valve. Vacuum side has a line to pull in antifreeze and a line to draw from the tank all in a "T" connection. The cap plug needs to be in the line that you suck up antifreeze from. I have a direct fill line to fill fresh tank, no valve there either. There is however the white valve that need to be open to draw water from the tank (not labeled).

It was all much clearer once I could see the pump and lines. This is my first 5er and much different than my previous TT.

Thanks for the help! Happy camping!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
There should be 2 valves in the front drivers side compartment next to your water connections. One is a small white valve and the other is the red hot water bypass valve. Make sure the white valve is on to pull water from the fresh water tank. Attachment 102816

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
I did not know what the white valve was for until I took the panel off to get to the pump. Thank you for the picture. I also learned I needed to cap off the antifreeze suction line.