Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Need some help with 27RKSS

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. If not, please direct me to the right forum.

Suffice to say, we bought our Salem 27RKSS March 14, 2014 and the extent of the walk-through or PDI consisted of the owner/salesperson saying he had to pick up his son from football practice and get him home for dinner and then tossing the trailer keys in our direction. This was our first experience with purchasing an RV so we didn't realize how bad that was until later.
After making a list of missing components and broken items, (missing hot water heater circuit board, broken rocking chairs, drawers, and a/c vent cover to name few) we dropped our trailer off at the dealership. The owner assured us that the missing hot water heater circuit board was a common issue because they had taken it off of our trailer to use on another warranty job that had come into the service department and they would just order another for us. We were told all of the repairs would be completed in 2 weeks.
Six weeks later, after numerous phone calls and dealership visits, we were able to pick up our trailer. Our first big trip was scheduled for 4 days later. I was packing the trailer and my husband asked me to fill up the fresh water tank so we could wash counters and scrub the toilet (someone at the dealership had used it and didn't flush). A few minutes after attaching the hose to the outside of the trailer, there was water all over the floor of the trailer. I called the dealership and the owner said he would drive out and fix it. We live over an hour away from the dealership so this impressed me. After he "fixed" it, he told me I should have taken the paneling off of the counter and checked to see if the hole in the tank was attached to the wall of the outside of the trailer before trying to fill it. Also, the hot water heater circuit board was laying on the floor, wires not attached, but because the water was about 2 inches deep in the cupboard, it had shorted out. The dealer said he would order a new one and I could pick it up in town in two days.
Our trip to the Grand Canyon was only about 6 hours old when we stopped for restroom break and noticed that the diamond plate cover on the nose of the trailer had fallen off and was only attached with one screw. Also the insulation was falling out everywhere. My husband screwed the cover back on and off we went.
During the whole trip, we didn't have hot water so we used the showers in the campgrounds.
In Las Vegas, the temperatures were above 100* and we decided to run our a/c. It stopped working sometime during the night. We dropped our trailer off at a service facility in the morning and were told to come back in a couple of hours and it would be fixed. When we came back, we were told that our trailer was not fixed because it was showing in the computer as stolen! The dealership had not paid for our trailer nor had they reported it as sold. We showed them our paperwork and called the factory manager at Forest River. After all that, our trailer was worked on. The a/c had supposedly overheated and started working after a few hours of being turned off. The hot water heater circuit board was the wrong one for our trailer so that was replaced. We continued on our way home. The refrigerator vent cover and weatherstripping along the sides of the trailer all blew off while we were driving down the freeway.
When we got home, my husband called the factory manager and reported all of our problems. The only thing that the dealer had fixed during the 6 weeks of having our trailer was ordering the plastic wands that open and close the window blinds. Just these few notes should explain why we will not go back to the original dealership where we bought the trailer.
The manager at Forest River arranged to have our trailer brought back to the factory and fixed most of the items on our list. He also added electronic stabilizer jacks because one was missing when we bought it. They also had our trailer for more than 6 weeks. Unfortunately, our problems continue.
In November 2014, we arranged to drop off our trailer at Camping World in Anderson CA with a list of items that still needed to be fixed. The steps going in to our trailer were broke on one side, the a/c blows cold air whenever you turn the heater on unless you unhook the wires in the a/c, one side of our stabilizer jacks bent in half the first time we used them, the bathroom door wouldn't shut all the way, leaking around the slide, the windows, and the main door frame, also the outside storage looked like someone just poured water in it.
The service writer, Tim, assured us that he could open a service order, get the warranty work okayed, and then call us to bring our trailer to them and the work could be completed in 2 weeks. We agreed and made arrangements to drop our trailer off Dec. 27,2014. My husband's mom ended up in the hospital the day after Christmas, so my husband called and said we would bring it in a couple of weeks later. We took it back to CW during the third week of January. There was no record of anything we had talked to Tim about. In fact, Tim had been fired! Instead service writer Beth was assigned to us. We went through the entire list process again. For 3 weeks, we called and were told by Beth that each item on the list was progressing and the warranty items had been ordered and delivered. On a Friday, my husband called and talked to Beth and she told him our trailer was finished being worked on and would be ready to pick up on Monday morning. He told her we would be there Monday afternoon. She asked us to call Monday so she could clear her schedule and make sure we were happy with our trailer. My husband called her all day Monday, the receptionist said she was in meetings, on her lunch, on another call, on a break, and we never talked to Beth on Monday. We showed up around 3pm and our trailer was nowhere to be seen, although we had been told it was in the front parking lot. We asked to talk to Beth, she finally came out apologizing for our trailer not being ready. Not only was it not ready, not a single thing had been done to the trailer, not a single item ordered. When I asked why Beth had been lying to us for at least two weeks, she said she was sorry and didn't know what to tell us. She started crying and saying she was going to be fired and had two little kids to support. No explanation for the lying ever. We had a meeting with one of her managers, who said that all the parts had been ordered from Forest River but they had not shipped them. He was very surprised when my husband whipped out his phone and called the manager of the factory where the parts were supposedly ordered. After talking to the FR manager, Beth's manager apologized and blamed Beth for lying about ordering the parts. A few minutes later, another manager Rick met with us to try to make us feel better about the awful service we were receiving. We took our trailer home (4.5 hour drive one way) and made arrangements to have Rick pick it up when the parts arrived and he would transport our trailer at CW's expense to get it fixed. A couple weeks later, he picked up our trailer and we went to pick it up 2 weeks after that. More lies! And shoddy workmanship!
Our a/c has not been touched. The outdoor steps were replaced but now the bottom step is now at my knee level, which the original steps were not. When my husband pointed that out to Beth, she said, "sorry, you will have to get her a stool or something". The bent jack was replaced and so far we have had no problems with it. The bathroom wall was cut about an inch short of the frame so that the door will close now but the wall doesn't touch the door frame. And our glass shower enclosure is broke on one side (it was not broke when we took it to CW) there are gouges in the wall above the bathroom sink, the leaking areas have not been fixed, the a/c wires are still unplugged and the monitor panel for all the holding tanks is still not hooked up to the tanks.
Is this normal for Forest River products? Is there anyone who can give us some advice or help?
We are so upset with the horrible service, lies, and blaming at Camping World in Anderson CA. My husband says we will never take anything to any CW again. But I think we should at least make them fix the broken shower enclosure. We have tried calling CW but only get transferred to voicemail.
We have had our trailer since March 14,2014 and it has spent more than 4 months in being worked on. Is this normal? Is our experience at Camping World in Anderson CA, indicative of most service facilities?
Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions. We live in a remote area so our choices for fixing our trailer are hours away. Any good recommendations for the southern Oregon area would be appreciated.

scrapnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
This is not my first post. I have been lurking on these forums for about a year. I just wanted to make sure that was known. Thanks for any comments or help.

scrapnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
" the a/c blows cold air whenever you turn the heater on unless you unhook the wires in the a/c"

Mine did the same thing when I turned it on. Went to camping world in Tallahassee, fl and asked the service tech about it and was told to turn the fan on to auto or the ac will also come on due to the heat strips. Went out this morning and put the fan on auto and turned the furnace on and low and behold it worked. The ac did not turn on.

Hope you get the TT fixed and working to you expectations. We are very happy with ours and love the layout,

2014 Ford Super Crew
2014 Salem 27RKSS
Archg38r is offline   Reply With Quote