Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
carl.net

Now that you have the rubber on it looks very nice! Great job.

Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net
Now that you have the rubber on it looks very nice! Great job.
Thanks Carl. Funny how this project started out to be a minor modification to the trailer, and how it has turned into a complete rebuild. Seems to be the norm for my projects.

EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
carl.net

I have been thinking about your floor plan design (you have a great start because you are thinking out of the box) and have a suggestion for you. Well first I have a comment then a suggestion. When you look at the interior designs of campers and compare them to the interior designs of boats it becomes obvious that the "professionals" that design the campers were the ones who flunked out of design school. With that said I propose you go to a boat show that has a bunch of cabin cruisers in the 26 to 40 foot range to get some ideas. You will be amazed at how much boat designers can fit into a small space versus the retards at the camper companies.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #34

FEMA Forest River Salem Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
I have been thinking about your floor plan design (you have a great start because you are thinking out of the box) and have a suggestion for you. Well first I have a comment then a suggestion. When you look at the interior designs of campers and compare them to the interior designs of boats it becomes obvious that the "professionals" that design the campers were the ones who flunked out of design school.
With my former pop up camper I couldn’t believe how much space was wasted. I also don’t understand the idea of building and advertising that a 10’ pop up camper can sleep 8. OK, fine, but the refrigerator and storage will only support those 8 for about a day with luck. Plus there was no shower or hot water. How about using some of that sleeping space for oh, a shower and hot water heater? The RV center I purchased the pop up from said I couldn’t do that, there wasn’t enough room. When I sold it to my cousin, it had a shower, hot water heater and a port-a-potty, and still would sleep 5. I found the same issues with the Salem. Under the rear lower bunk bed there was enough room to stuff 3 bodies, yet no access other than pulling the bedding off the bed, removing the mattress, lifting the plywood mattress support and then dropping into the available space anything that might fit between the plywood supports. Why no door was placed on the side to access this space easily is simply stupid design work. I found other issues to. Such as the furnace pulled its intake air from the lower side of the counter, right where people and pets walk. No filter, so the dirt and animal hair is pulled across the top of all the pots and pans below the sink and in the lower cabinets. Wonderful! I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know though. These designs can be so much more efficient and still have plenty of open space.
Quote:
With that said I propose you go to a boat show that has a bunch of cabin cruisers in the 26 to 40 foot range to get some ideas. You will be amazed at how much boat designers can fit into a small space versus the retards at the camper companies.
Great idea. I didn't think about that but we have plenty of boat shows here in Dallas that I can attend. The current design I have posted is the second version. My aunt made some suggested changes because of where I had the stove/oven and sink originally placed, so I moved them. I’m still considering adding a counter to the back of the front couch and placing the sink there. That’ll add a lot of storage and use some of that open space, while still leaving the area open enough for my tastes. I’ll be using ceiling rail curtains to section off the front area right behind the couch, around the master bed with some space at the bottom end of the bed for changing/dressing, and then across the back of the master bed clear to the shower to isolate that area. That way if I have guests, both they and I can have privacy. I like the idea of the half height walls so when the curtains are pulled back, the entire interior can be seen, giving it a very open look and feel. The only full size wall will be the one in front of the shower (containing plumbing and for rigidity for the shower). Next steps are to finish ripping out the ceiling, remove all the nails, screws and other things sticking out of the wall and ceiling wood supports, then install the insulation. I’ll post pictures again at that time. Then the ceiling and walls go in – finally, it’ll start looking like a travel trailer again. Thanks for the suggestions and complements.

EPDM Rubber Roof Installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbraK...hannel&list=UL Pulled by a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 496cid Rat motor, 12k Lb. tow package, leveling hitch, dual sway controls & electric brakes.
xf021209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem