Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

New 30KQBSS owner with questions

We took delivery on Wednesday of last week, and tried to do a thorough inspection but there are still a few small issue. The young guy that went over the trailer with us really did not seem at all qualified and then we found out he put in his 2 week notice while we were at lunch. He was nice to us but just not what we expected in a service person showing us all we needed to know. We spend over 3 hours going over things but still came out with a few issue.

I cannot find anything in my literature about the antenna that is on the trailer. We purchases a new TV, hooked it up and only were able to get 3 channels (actually 1, but just different broadcast from that station). We were able to get those same stations with no antenna at all. We hooked up to our neighbors antenna and were able to get 12 stations, he has the kind that you raise from the inside of the trailer. From reading on this forum, I have learned that many are not pleased with the antenna but at least get a few channels, also that it could be a missing connection somewhere. Can anyone tell me what brand the antenna is that they are using now? Or any other info on it would be greatly appreciated. We will be contacting our rv dealership with the issue but being an educated consumer is always a good thing.

We also had issues with our hot water heater and eventually I remembered the roadside assist, they were very helpful and we got it going although, I ran our of water during a short shower, also after reading the good info here I am wondering if maybe the cold water valve is open along with the by-pass valves.
We have had an older model camper for years so I am accustom to using hot water sparsely but this was way too sparse. Any other suggestions on what it might be.

This site seems to have a wealth of information, thanks

Old 01-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

Make sure the antenna power is on. Depending on the switch plate it should be a little black button you push in\out. Not sure if you have a crank up and rotating antenna, but repositioning helps. Fyi... my 2013 tv antenna was stuck to the roof in the down position due to the sealant used to waterproof the on the roof.

Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

We did have the booster on. It is not a cracking kind. I am not sure if it moves at all. I have scanned the internet looking for one like it but have not really found it yet. it is a disc with a couple wings on the side.

Also curious, is it normal to not get any documentation about the antenna or is this something that I am just missing in my packet.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

I have a 30 QBSS. I know the antenna is fixed to the roof. It doesn't move. Reception does suck!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman005 View Post
I have a 30 QBSS. I know the antenna is fixed to the roof. It doesn't move. Reception does suck!
I had heard it was bad. Our is non-existent. Hopefully there is a loose connection, and then from there we will start looking for modifications.
srkmrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Did you re-scan for channels after hooking up the tv?

The water situation sounds like the usual cause. The bypass valves aren't in the right position as you mentioned. If yours has all 3 valves, the top and bottom valves should be turned parallel to the pipe and the middle one should be perpendicular (off).
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
Did you re-scan for channels after hooking up the tv?

The water situation sounds like the usual cause. The bypass valves aren't in the right position as you mentioned. If yours has all 3 valves, the top and bottom valves should be turned parallel to the pipe and the middle one should be perpendicular (off).
We actually did multiple scans. The very odd thing that I did not mention is our neighbors had brought there tv over and hooked to our antenna so we could watch/listen to the game while mounting our tv. When it was mounted we hooked our tv to the antenna and scanned channels, only 1 showed up, the same one we get with no antenna. So we hooked back to the neighbors tv and they then could not get any channels so they did a new scan, same thing, only the one channel. We took there tv and ours to their antenna and scanned, we got 12 channels. Brought our back to our hookup and still received the notice or no connection or re-scan channels.
srkmrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #8

I had the same issue on a Silverback and I found that the cable connections were not screw on completely and one coax wire did not have enough length on the main wire to connect. I am sure the tv system is never checked at the factory

We usually get good reception without ever raising or aiming the antenna.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

We had to set the tv selection to antenna not cable. On the water heater you should have the bypass off and the other 2 valves on. Was you using gas or electric. Check tomake sure your getting power and the element is good. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we like ours.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote