Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
New fifth wheel question

My new Salem fifth wheel model 246RBLS has two black tank dump valves, one is located about mid way under trailer near front axle and other is in normal location next to gray tank valve. Does anyone know why it has two black tank valves and can I leave the mid way under the trailer one open all the time as I will have to crawl under the trailer to open it.

Elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #2

I have the same setup with my 2006 Salem 296RLSS. It is a pain when I am dumping the black tank because I am always forget to open the spare valve.

2005 Chev Silverado 2500
2006 Salem 296RLSS Fiver
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I take it the 'way under' valve leads to another knife valve at the side of the trailer. If so, you can leave it open (providing it doesn't catch on anything while on the road) if you want to. My theory on the 'two valves' system is to keep the weight off the pipes. By closing the one closest to the tank, the outlet pipes are empty. But in a campground, there's no reason to worry about the pipes having weight in them.

If on the other hand you're talking about the only knive valve in that run, you shouldn't leave it open. A black water tank has to have an accumulation of water/liquid to operate. Leaving a black water valve open all the time allows the liquid to drain off and leaves solids (you know what they are) to accumulate and harden. One does not want those solids to harden.
  • Salem 401-2b; 31" Sony Trinitron and two channels on the antenna.
  • Smokin' hot wife... 2 boys, 25 and 10.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
I close my while we are traveling, the handle is low and could catch on something.
2005 Chev Silverado 2500
2006 Salem 296RLSS Fiver
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote