Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

New salem 282rk

Have not been out in my new Hemisphere 282rk. Any ideas as to what I need to look for on the first trip? Can't wait to get camping.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Do Camp Driveway before you actually head out to camp.
that way you can make sure everything works.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Do Camp Driveway before you actually head out to camp.
that way you can make sure everything works.
Good plan.
We have been camping for many years, off and on. Always older units. This is our first new trailer. We have not run thru the water systems yet, because of the weather here in MI
Old 03-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWeR View Post
Have not been out in my new Hemisphere 282rk. Any ideas as to what I need to look for on the first trip? Can't wait to get camping.
We have the 282RK and owned now for a little over a year. The DW and I have really enjoyed it so far and is everything we expected. I guess the only thing I could even complain about is the 30 amp service, only 1 AC which is quite noisy, and the 2 gray tanks. Be sure you have a good WDH for this rear heavy and length of trailer. Hope you will be as happy with yours as we are.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
We have the 282RK and owned now for a little over a year. The DW and I have really enjoyed it so far and is everything we expected. I guess the only thing I could even complain about is the 30 amp service, only 1 AC which is quite noisy, and the 2 gray tanks. Be sure you have a good WDH for this rear heavy and length of trailer. Hope you will be as happy with yours as we are.
I hear what you are saying about the 30amp. We will work with it the best we can. We are excited to get it out soon. Like you, we will enjoy. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Just saw your thread, and was wondering if you got out in your 282 yet? We've had ours for four seasons it's the perfect trailer for the two of us plus scout. I actually use mine as a small one bedroom apartment as I work remotely away from home .

My only wish is that there was a little bit more maneuvering room in the bedroom. But otherwise we think it's a fantastic layout and I really happy with it
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

Good morning.
May 5th is our first trip with the 282rk. Can't wait to see what the future holds for us and our new unit. We have always bought used. Some good and some ....
Old 04-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Tom

Quote:
Good morning.
May 5th is our first trip with the 282rk. Can't wait to see what the future holds for us and our new unit. We have always bought used. Some good and some ....
If you don't mind me asking, what tow vehicle are you guys using? One season under my belt with my 16 F-150, I have a Propride hitch on order for season two. Love the 286RK and looking forward to using it again this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Just saw your thread, and was wondering if you got out in your 282 yet? We've had ours for four seasons it's the perfect trailer for the two of us plus scout. I actually use mine as a small one bedroom apartment as I work remotely away from home .

My only wish is that there was a little bit more maneuvering room in the bedroom. But otherwise we think it's a fantastic layout and I really happy with it
Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

08 F150. Full stock except for an K&S air cleaner for some added hp.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Tom

Quote:
08 F150. Full stock except for an K&S air cleaner for some added hp.
Tow safe, enjoy and take your time, that is alot of camper back there.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

You bet. Safe and easy.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy 2500 crew cab, short bed. 6.0 L Vortec.
Had a Ford F250 but it had the 5.3 L and couldn't pull a rope uphill to save its life.
A 1/2 ton should pull it just fine, though.
WDH is a must.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

I tow the Salem Hemi 282 RK in Newfoundland which is very hilly with a 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with a Reese weight distributing hitch.
I did also added Air Ride air bags to the rear springs & a Reese Dual Cam sway controller system.
I am pleased with the trailer / truck package.
BTW: Go with a solar charging system for boondocking off the grid. I have a 123 watt panel on the roof, with 2 - 6 Volt golf cart batteries & interior LED bulbs. Fabulous system.
I run the fridge on propane.
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #14

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what tow vehicle are you guys using? One season under my belt with my 16 F-150, I have a Propride hitch on order for season two. Love the 286RK and looking forward to using it again this season.
I have the 2016 Vlite 30WIKSS and tow with 2016 F150. Had the Equalizer now have the Propride 3P 1400. Night and day
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
I have the 2016 Vlite 30WIKSS and tow with 2016 F150. Had the Equalizer now have the Propride 3P 1400. Night and day
Zak1, I've noticed your multiple comments about the Propride on this forum. You must be really sold on it in comparison to your previous setup. I used a Eaz-Lift with 2 friction sway controls and let me say it was just too inconsistent for my liking. When I pulled into my driveway after a camping trip it was a sigh of relief that we made it home safely. I just hope my new Propride​ will be everything I expect it to be considering the cost. If it is and I am towing comfortably and safer then it will be worth every penny. I guess next steps will be getting it delivered, installed, test driven, and off to camping with my new Propride.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Zak1, I've noticed your multiple comments about the Propride on this forum. You must be really sold on it in comparison to your previous setup. I used a Eaz-Lift with 2 friction sway controls and let me say it was just too inconsistent for my liking. When I pulled into my driveway after a camping trip it was a sigh of relief that we made it home safely. I just hope my new Propride​ will be everything I expect it to be considering the cost. If it is and I am towing comfortably and safer then it will be worth every penny. I guess next steps will be getting it delivered, installed, test driven, and off to camping with my new Propride.
Hello again Seachaser,
If you've seen all my posts you may have found the ones where I state how much I prided myself on doing well over a year of research on both the TV and TT but never gave a thought to what connects the two. I trusted by TT dealer. Well, after uncomfortable ( white knuckle in any wind or over 55 mph) towing. I finally started researching my issue on this (Airstream, F150 ect forums) forum. I was amazed all the real world reviews on the Propride! It took me about two more months of research (including talking with Sean at Propride) to pull the trigger.

Set up right, it truly is a completely comfortable, one handed towing experience. My 2016 F150 will be getting heavier walled tires when they need replaced but other than that, I'm not planing on putting any other modifications on my truck due to the performance of the propride 3P 1400.

I even went back to my dealer (who resold my Equalizer for me to someone else) to ask why would he not have educated me on ALL my hitch options? Bottom line is three stated reasons.
1) the cost of the hitch would put them over the total costs of other tt dealers
2) Propride really doesn't sell through dealers, they sell direct
3) the way the hitch is designed, if I dropped it off for service, it would be a real pain for them to move it around their lot (which is true).
Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
Tom

Quote:
Hello again Seachaser,
If you've seen all my posts you may have found the ones where I state how much I prided myself on doing well over a year of research on both the TV and TT but never gave a thought to what connects the two. I trusted by TT dealer. Well, after uncomfortable ( white knuckle in any wind or over 55 mph) towing. I finally started researching my issue on this (Airstream, F150 ect forums) forum. I was amazed all the real world reviews on the Propride! It took me about two more months of research (including talking with Sean at Propride) to pull the trigger.

Set up right, it truly is a completely comfortable, one handed towing experience. My 2016 F150 will be getting heavier walled tires when they need replaced but other than that, I'm not planing on putting any other modifications on my truck due to the performance of the propride 3P 1400.

I even went back to my dealer (who resold my Equalizer for me to someone else) to ask why would he not have educated me on ALL my hitch options? Bottom line is three stated reasons.
1) the cost of the hitch would put them over the total costs of other tt dealers
2) Propride really doesn't sell through dealers, they sell direct
3) the way the hitch is designed, if I dropped it off for service, it would be a real pain for them to move it around their lot (which is true).
Zak1, Yep very similar story, a 2016 F-150 and long TT. Plenty of power with the 3.5 EB but the towing was more white knuckle than I cared for. I too started doing my research and personally talked with Sean at Propride and Terry at Hensley and I am convinced this hitch concept, although costly, is right for me. I did the preorder where they knock 200.00 off so it will probably be a couple more weeks before I get it. The one thing I am not looking forward to is having to install it but am looking forward to towing with it.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Zak1, Yep very similar story, a 2016 F-150 and long TT. Plenty of power with the 3.5 EB but the towing was more white knuckle than I cared for. I too started doing my research and personally talked with Sean at Propride and Terry at Hensley and I am convinced this hitch concept, although costly, is right for me. I did the preorder where they knock 200.00 off so it will probably be a couple more weeks before I get it. The one thing I am not looking forward to is having to install it but am looking forward to towing with it.
If you need any of my assistance (beyond Sean/Propride) i'd be happy to help wherever possible....
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Tom

Quote:
If you need any of my assistance (beyond Sean/Propride) i'd be happy to help wherever possible....
Thanks you also mentioned tires, I also have the OE P-tires and was planning on switching out to the E-loads. Terry at Hensley had mentioned to try my existing tires with the new hitch first before swapping. Even with the P-tires, mine being 116T load rated, you would exceed all your other limits first. Like you I will upgrade to E-loads when I need tires or maybe sooner depending on the tow.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #20
Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170502_182303555_HDR.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	136626
New home for the Hemi. Delivered and installed yesterday, parked it underneath today.

Tags
salem