Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

New Salem Lite 19ft plus

Didn't come with front jacks to stabilize, one night in bed. it felt like a non ending earthquake,
sitting up it was on the tongue jack only

So tips on making it stable. Some reading on here mentions jacks just in front of axel so I'm assuming scissor jacks in front an 2 near axle. Is that correct.

Next issue any caution needed on mounting on cross frame. So as not to have a problem on underside when tearing into the the black plastic, (paper like plastic) barrier. Thanks
Rickhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #2

we added two front scissor jacks that were the same as the rear jacks. we added them on the same frame rail as the rear ones. we placed the right next to the stairs between the tounge and stairs and mounted the left one directly across from the right one. now the trailer is stable and walking into the trailer is very stable now too, can take some pics if u want me too
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
we added two front scissor jacks that were the same as the rear jacks. we added them on the same frame rail as the rear ones. we placed the right next to the stairs between the tounge and stairs and mounted the left one directly across from the right one. now the trailer is stable and walking into the trailer is very stable now too, can take some pics if u want me too
Thanks Jaw,

Perhaps this smaller unit adding 2 jacks will work fine.
I decided a nights sleep is worth the expense an effort an even a little over kill.
I tend to cut Connors sometimes but this won't be one of those area s
Comfort is key, if anyone is reading with the front jacks in use do you recommend the tongue jack be used at all?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

we still use the front jack even with all four jacks down
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
Site Team

I had 4 corner jacks installed on my trailer which helps a lot. I do lower my tongue jack when setting up camp before lowering the stab jacks.

Is the front jack mentioned the tongue jack? Just wondering if I am talking about the same thing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

Tongue jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I had 4 corner jacks installed on my trailer which helps a lot. I do lower my tongue jack when setting up camp before lowering the stab jacks.

Is the front jack mentioned the tongue jack? Just wondering if I am talking about the same thing.
Yes you are correct
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

I did a cheaper solution on mine by getting these two jacks for the front corners. My intention was for a quick cheap fix and I would install scissor jacks later. This worked so well I'm still using them and spending money on other things. I found these at Camping World for $20. http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...m-2-pack/68055
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

I looked at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
I did a cheaper solution on mine by getting these two jacks for the front corners. My intention was for a quick cheap fix and I would install scissor jacks later. This worked so well I'm still using them and spending money on other things. I found these at Camping World for $20. Husky Stack Jack Aluminum - 2 Pack - Husky 70044 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Thanks that looks doable and more durable, my cheap side is over ruled by
The convince of not having to pack a unpack an take up space, I like the idea of building a better mouse trap. I'll look forward to any other suggestions. You come up with
Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
We got our Salem Lite 174bh last October and I had two scissor jacks installed on the front corners and believe me, it made a difference ;-) The total cost was only $158 total for parts and labor and was worth it for us. I level it front and back using the tongue jack and put the front ones down to keep it from wobbling around. They told us the jacks were for stabilizing, not for lifting the trailer.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralspace View Post
We got our Salem Lite 174bh last October and I had two scissor jacks installed on the front corners and believe me, it made a difference ;-) The total cost was only $158 total for parts and labor and was worth it for us. I level it front and back using the tongue jack and put the front ones down to keep it from wobbling around. They told us the jacks were for stabilizing, not for lifting the trailer.
That's exactly right you can bend a frame If you use em incorrectly. An lifting isn't correct
Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #11

I also put two up front. Super stable now. Money well spent.

2014 Wildwood X-lite 195bh......Happy camping.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem