Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #1

New to forum with questions.....

This is awsome, I never thought there would be any type of online resource for my TT!!!!! I have a ton of questions as I have encountered a few problems so here goes!!!!

I have a '07 T26BH. The following is what I need help with....

1. I recently had a water heater leak caused by a faulty nylon fitting. This leak permeated the floor and FILLED the insulation areas underneath with over 30 gallons of water in the front 10 ft. of the trailer. I have cut open the "tarp" material and removed the wet insulation as to let the underneath areas dry. Where can I get the replacement tarp material? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

2. I recieved my trailer new from "your rv wizard" in Tucson AZ. As you can imagine due to the name of the dealer, they weren't the most educated bunch of people in my eyes and really didn't show me anything when it came to operating some of the systems in the TT. My Water heater is, I assume, dual propane and electric. There is a rocker switch under the outside panel of the water heater. Is this the "on" switch for the electric portion? I also have a plug under my kitchen cabinets connected to the water heater that is not plugged into the wall and have an outlet near the water heater under the cabinet??? Is this the electric portion that has been essentially "disabled" by the rv dealer?

3. At all four corners on the exterior, there is trim with a rubber strip that runs from the bottom to the top of the trailer basically covering the corners of the corrugated aluminum siding. There is some black "sealing" material that has been squeezed out and most has fallen out completely. What can/should I use to re-seal these areas?

4. My trailer is roughly two years old now. What do I need to re-seal the rubber roof? Any type of special sealant? Where can I get it?

5. My black water tank always shows full, even when empty. I assume there is something wrapped around the sensor. What is the best what to go about fixing this?

6. I have the duo-therm A/C unit. Once a year, when in use in humid climates, it will freeze and not produce cold air. I turn it off for awhile and start it up again and everything seems fine. Is this normal?

7. My heater stinks when it's on. Smells like burning rubber. Is this normal of a "new" trailer?

8. Is there some type of alternative water filter bowl that I can use aside from the factory installed one? I have had nothing but trouble with this thing. Besides it being near impossible to break the bowl loose to change the filter, most of the time, it takes petrolatum jelly to seal the bowl to the adapter to keep it from leaking. (this is like my "pet peeve" when it comes to this trailer)

9. My slide sounds horrible and moves in and out unevenly. How can I get into the rail system to lube/repair the slide system?

10. The propane line (rubbber) running from the tank switch to the front part of the frame has a very sharp bend in it near the fitting. It looks as if it could leak given the right amount of angle. The hose contacts the battery tray area. I have tried numerous types of elbows just to have them leak. what can I do? This is the third hose in a year.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I am looking forward to chattin it up with you all!

Jesse
eightrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum Jesse. You have quite a few questions and it may take a little time to get all of them answered. I should be able to help you with a few once I have read them over and thought about them. In the meantime, continue to read the threads here on the forum for other information. Some of the other members will also be able to help you once they log in and read your post.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightrac View Post
This is awsome, I never thought there would be any type of online resource for my TT!!!!! I have a ton of questions as I have encountered a few problems so here goes!!!!

I have a '07 T26BH. The following is what I need help with....

1. I recently had a water heater leak caused by a faulty nylon fitting. This leak permeated the floor and FILLED the insulation areas underneath with over 30 gallons of water in the front 10 ft. of the trailer. I have cut open the "tarp" material and removed the wet insulation as to let the underneath areas dry. Where can I get the replacement tarp material? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
If it's what I'm thinking about it's called coroplast. You can find it on the net. If you didn't wreck it you can patch it with aluminum strips. Some people even buy gorilla tape and patch it.

Quote:
2. My Water heater is, I assume, dual propane and electric. There is a rocker switch under the outside panel of the water heater. Is this the "on" switch for the electric portion? I also have a plug under my kitchen cabinets connected to the water heater that is not plugged into the wall and have an outlet near the water heater under the cabinet??? Is this the electric portion that has been essentially "disabled" by the rv dealer?
Yes the rocker switch outside is for the electric element. It certainly appears to have been unpluged. Plug it in and try it out. There should be a breaker designated for it.

Quote:
3. At all four corners on the exterior, there is trim with a rubber strip that runs from the bottom to the top of the trailer basically covering the corners of the corrugated aluminum siding. There is some black "sealing" material that has been squeezed out and most has fallen out completely. What can/should I use to re-seal these areas?
I can't picture what you're talking about. Most RV''s have a metal corner strip screwed down with a piece of vinyl trim in an insert. Give us a photo and we'll have a better idea of how to seal it.

Quote:
4. My trailer is roughly two years old now. What do I need to re-seal the rubber roof? Any type of special sealant? Where can I get it?
You may not need to reseal the entire roof. You definitely need to inspect all the places where there are penetrations and reseal any that show signs of cracking. The proper sealant is Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Some people swear by Eternabond and it's a permanent fix.

Quote:
5. My black water tank always shows full, even when empty. I assume there is something wrapped around the sensor. What is the best what to go about fixing this?
The sensors are notoriously wrong. You can buy a wand and try and spray it clean enough to work a little while. You can pour in about a cup of dishwashing liquid and fill the tank about half full of water and take a ride. That helps sometimes. The biggest helpful thing you can do is use plenty of water and fill the tank before dumping.

Quote:
6. I have the duo-therm A/C unit. Once a year, when in use in humid climates, it will freeze and not produce cold air. I turn it off for awhile and start it up again and everything seems fine. Is this normal?
Not normal but common. Make sure the filter is clean. If you remove the filter grill and filter and take a flashight there should be a control box about 4" square right above the grill. Look above it against the coils and there should be a small round freeze coil. It's about hte size of a stack of quarters. It should be directly touching the fins at bottom center. Mine was hanging loose and it wouuld freeze up in humid weather.

Quote:
7. My heater stinks when it's on. Smells like burning rubber. Is this normal of a "new" trailer?
How long have you ran the furnace? Most of them "stink" till they have a few hours run time on them. Ours has an odor the first time of the season we use it but is fine after a few minutes

Quote:
8. Is there some type of alternative water filter bowl that I can use aside from the factory installed one? I have had nothing but trouble with this thing. Besides it being near impossible to break the bowl loose to change the filter, most of the time, it takes petrolatum jelly to seal the bowl to the adapter to keep it from leaking. (this is like my "pet peeve" when it comes to this trailer)
I removed the cartridge from mine and use one of the blue canisters that attach outside the RV. IIRC KyDan removed his whole filter housing.

Quote:
9. My slide sounds horrible and moves in and out unevenly. How can I get into the rail system to lube/repair the slide system?
If your is a "sofa" slide like mine it tilts and swivels some while extending and retracting. You can lube the track and rollers with dry lube. I use the spray teflon.

Quote:
10. The propane line (rubbber) running from the tank switch to the front part of the frame has a very sharp bend in it near the fitting. It looks as if it could leak given the right amount of angle. The hose contacts the battery tray area. I have tried numerous types of elbows just to have them leak. what can I do? This is the third hose in a year.
I just replaced both my hoses with longer ones so they didn't have the sharp bend. I got them long enoughso I could put a loop in hem and keep them out of the way.

Quote:
Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I am looking forward to chattin it up with you all!

Jesse
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

If it's what I'm thinking about it's called coroplast. You can find it on the net. If you didn't wreck it you can patch it with aluminum strips. Some people even buy gorilla tape and patch it.

Well, I tried the gorilla tape but it continually comes down. I was thinking about buying a large tarp and cutting it into pieces in the shapes of the areas between the large wooden beams, re-insulating and stapling/sealing the tarp material up. You think that will work?

Yes the rocker switch outside is for the electric element. It certainly appears to have been unpluged. Plug it in and try it out. There should be a breaker designated for it. Tried, works quite well. Funny thing is that we've been using it on just propane for two years and have never enjoyed water THIS HOT!!!!! Thank YOU!

I can't picture what you're talking about. Most RV''s have a metal corner strip screwed down with a piece of vinyl trim in an insert. Give us a photo and we'll have a better idea of how to seal it.That is the strip I'm talking about. It has a black "goo" in all the low areas where the siding fits into it and the "goo" is falling out.

You may not need to reseal the entire roof. You definitely need to inspect all the places where there are penetrations and reseal any that show signs of cracking. The proper sealant is Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Some people swear by Eternabond and it's a permanent fix.
It looks good but I just wanted to go over some thin areas. Thanks for the dicor reccommendation. I purchased 6 tubes......

The sensors are notoriously wrong. You can buy a wand and try and spray it clean enough to work a little while. You can pour in about a cup of dishwashing liquid and fill the tank about half full of water and take a ride. That helps sometimes. The biggest helpful thing you can do is use plenty of water and fill the tank before dumping. I usually let the tank fill with fresh water when rinsing. I guess I'll have to try the dishwashing liquid.

Not normal but common. Make sure the filter is clean. If you remove the filter grill and filter and take a flashight there should be a control box about 4" square right above the grill. Look above it against the coils and there should be a small round freeze coil. It's about hte size of a stack of quarters. It should be directly touching the fins at bottom center. Mine was hanging loose and it wouuld freeze up in humid weather.
Same here. Fixed. Thank you.

How long have you ran the furnace? Most of them "stink" till they have a few hours run time on them. Ours has an odor the first time of the season we use it but is fine after a few minutesI've ran it quite a few times. I ahev actually lived in it over one winter and it still stinks.

I removed the cartridge from mine and use one of the blue canisters that attach outside the RV. IIRC KyDan removed his whole filter housing.I think I'm going the way you did.

If your is a "sofa" slide like mine it tilts and swivels some while extending and retracting. You can lube the track and rollers with dry lube. I use the spray teflon. I tried dry-lube to no avail. I think there might be a manufacturing defect. Its always been like this.

I just replaced both my hoses with longer ones so they didn't have the sharp bend. I got them long enoughso I could put a loop in hem and keep them out of the way.I did the same but the fitting stack-up puts the hose right up next to the battery tray. I'll have to do more research...

Thank you very much.

'07 Salem T26BH
If you want to buy one of these just take the cash, wad it up and throw it into the garbage.
eightrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Well, I tried the gorilla tape but it continually comes down. I was thinking about buying a large tarp and cutting it into pieces in the shapes of the areas between the large wooden beams, re-insulating and stapling/sealing the tarp material up. You think that will work?

The stuff I'm talking about looks like plastic cardboard. Apparently yours' looks like tarp material. If so then taking a good quality tarp, hemming the sides and stapling it well should work. What type insulation was under it?

That is the strip I'm talking about. It has a black "goo" in all the low areas where the siding fits into it and the "goo" is falling out.

The "goo" ins't supposed to be black. It's Butyl Putty Tape. I'd remove the molding, clean it well and replace the putty then put the molding back on. If you break the plastic trim strip you can buy relpacements.

I usually let the tank fill with fresh water when rinsing. I guess I'll have to try the dishwashing liquid.

You could install a tank rinser (Tornado or Quickee Flush) and that might help. That will be my next project. It's kind of a pain for me because of the enclosed underbelly.

I've ran it quite a few times. I have actually lived in it over one winter and it still stinks.

You might need to remove it and take it apart and have it inspected. It could be something in the duct work too.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

All sounds good. on the water heater, make sure you have water in it before ever turning on the heating element. even a few seconds on with no water in it will burn out the element. on it being unplugged, our 1st Cherokee was the same way. I think they just forget to plug then in.

I`m surprised you`re having a problem with the water filter. I haven`t had a problem with mine, other than the expensive cartridges.

While this site is great, have you checked out RV.net? they have open roads forum. http://www.rv.net/forum/. it is very detailed. check it out.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem