Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

New to RVing

Hello, we are new to RVing and are purchasing a 2003 Salem 26BH. The unit is used but looks well cared for. I found your forum and was reading the messages which I found very helpful for a newbie and wanted to thank you all! Everyone on the forum seems so willing to give helpful suggestions, I find this wonderful. I posted some pictures of our 2009 tent camping adventures. We are really looking forward to not having to pitch a tent ... being 2 years from full retirement age ... tent camping is sort of hard! We have an adopted eleven year old, Eric (with us since age 3 months) ... so we are sort of a non-typical family (thus the name "mission impossible"). But we all love camping including our two dogs and hopefully our new cat will too. Any advice and help will always be much appreciated!
mission impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums,

We can relate to the "done with the tents" statement. Us too. Our last trip out to the ocean we were sitting in our "living room" with our fireplace going, watching our satellite TV and enjoying dinner while the nearby tenters were cowering in the cars because of an all night torrential downpour. No thanks.

Congratulations on the new to you rig, have fun with it. There will be a learning curve but as you have found there are a lot of people here willing to help.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Congrats on your new Salem....Welcome to the campfire...have a seat and relax......

2007 Salem LA 272BHSS
2006 Silverado LT2 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 5.3L/3.23
2003 Yukon XL SLT AWD 5.3L/3.73
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Big Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

to the forum and congratulations on the new to you rig. Don't hesitate to ask anything you want to here because chances are someone will have the answer. Remember, the only dumb questions are the one you don't ask.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! We are ready to try it out this weekend (Memorial day weekend). We have to get the weight distribution/sway hitch put on then we are ready to try it out ... can't wait! Will be nice not to have to pitch the tent, unload & reload!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know what size air conditioner the 2003 Salem 27BH has? I think its 13,500 ... but the manual doesn't say. It just tells you that you have an AC unit ... not much help. We are thinking of getting a kipor 3000ie inverter generator ... I read it was quiet and reliable. Can anyone offer advice ... it will be much appreciated!

Thanks ever so much for your help and the great welcome! Really glad to be part of your forum! Happy RVing!!!!!!!!!!

Joyce
mission impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #6

Hello Joyce, and welcome to the forum! The 13,500 btu A/C is the standard A/C unit that comes with most campers when you order A/C, unless you specifically opt for the bigger 15k unit. I have a 30 foot camper with the 13,5 unit, and have no complaints at all, and we live in Florida. Nice looking Salem! Happy Camping! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Joyce,
Welcome to the forum and hope you and your family have many fun, memorable, and trouble free trips.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #8

A lot of posts on rv.net forum about the various generators, including kipor. I don't have one, but it is considered good and fairly quiet by many, although most posters have spent the extra moola to get a honda and highly recommend that too. I believe you need a 3-3.5k to power your ac. Enjoy your new rig. You will appreciate having those solid walls around you.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Welcome to the Forum and injoy your New Adventure.
1970 Restored Cushman Trackster
Olratlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new TT. Rving is much nicer than tenting. I can remember being out tenting outside Calgary Alberta when a huge prarie storm came through one night. It blew so hard the ten laid right down on top of us and with all the lightning and rain well it was not fun. As to generators we have a Honda EU3000is and it powers everything in our trailer no problem at all so I would think the Kipor should do fine for you..

Happy trails.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem