Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

Question Newbie here!

I just registered last night. Just wanted you all to know we own a 27BHBS
Salem we bought last year. I would like to ask any of you that own this model to let me know something. We were new to camping and rv's, so the only regret I have is we have three inside cable hookups for tvs and no outside hookup for cable, another thing I regret is we have to go outside to light the water heater which is only gas. Is there a way to add an inside thing to light the gas water heater? I really like our camper but wish I would have been alert to these issues, especially the water heater.
Even the people were we bought the rv couldn't beleive it didn't have the cable hookup outside. I guess it's our own fault for not looking into moreso.
Thanks for your input.....and nice to meet you all!
luv2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #2

Welcome to FRF! I am sure someone can help you with your problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #3

What year is your rig? I hate to say this, but...are you sure there is no cable-In on the super-slide side, near the rear? Also...as you look at the kitchen sink, what is under the info panel (tank levels/battery/etc)? Is there a water pump and/or water heater switch there?

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #4

Welcome to FRF, If you have more question by all means ask away. Nice people and alot of info here.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
If you have cable inside...I bet there is a hookup somewhere. I suppose it's possible it was omitted for some reason? Nah. If there isn't one, it shouldn't be too hard to add one yourself.

How old is this unit??? New units usually come with the same type water heaters. DSI electric/gas are pretty much the norm these days. (6 or 10 gallon)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #6

Outside, behind the water heater access panel, there is a rocker switch in there that might be switched off. Also, be sure the breaker in the converter box isn't tripped, or turned off. There should also be a rocker switch on the interior wall somewhere, usually near the holding tank indicators and thermostat controls. That switch only needs to be on for 12v (battery) operation. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #7

Wink

We just got our 27 BHBS model last year it is an '07 model, that is what bothers me. I checked the panel at the sink but there is no place there that would be a gas igniter all the other panel for the water panel and gallery, is there. And the water pump.
Thanks so much for all of your help. I felt like calling Forest River to ask why this model came that way. I just wish I knew others that had this same model to compare theirs with mine.
There is someone I thought on here that has about the same model, really like to ask them. IF anyone can help me there on who it is I'd appreciate it.
luv2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #8

If your hot water heater is not a DSI, it will have a pilot light control on the front of the heater. You would have to open the outside door to the hot water heater and then you should see the control with off/on/pilot knob and a thermocouple to light with a lighter. A few years back this was pretty standard and then the DSA became an option, which today is pretty well standard, even though it may be listed as an option.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #9

we have a 2008 LE 29bhbs. i dont see outside cable outlets, it has several inside. only outsidecable is the input source.

ours is dsi and has the igniter on/off below sink on front. it also has a breaker outside within the water heater housing.

i have a hybrid that has a manual water heater, the pilot has to be rotated and a manual lighting of the burner tube, this sounds like what you may have.

sorry , i dont know what can be modified, hopefully a dealer or FR can help.

heres one FR tele number: 5745332165--give him your VIN , year , and model

hope they can help
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #10

Hello Welcome to the campfire!!

Last year we bought our 2007 Salem LA 272BHSS. I seen your post and then started going though my paper work, I found the 2007 Salem brochure and it list that the standard package has a 6 gal. LP Water Heater (you have to light from outside) and a TV Antenna with Booster, which is what all your TV hook-ups run off of.

It shows the 6 gal. Gas/Electric DSI Water Heater and the Cable TV hook-up as Options. Your unit must not have these options, but I think the dealer could up grade your unit for you.............and I am sure it wont be cheap.

Good luck and happy camping!!

2007 Salem LA 272BHSS
2006 Silverado LT2 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 5.3L/3.23
2003 Yukon XL SLT AWD 5.3L/3.73
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Big Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #11

I have the same unit no out side cable hook up we use the antenna boost buton in the center cabinet works great in my neck of the woods .The water heater is an outside only lite but we put ares on pilot when we leave so propane use is not a issue. On other thing you will find with this rig is four tanks under neath the trailer one for drinking water one for galley water one for gray water on black water .When emptying the gray water and gally there is a small tube between the two and take along time to drain JMO.
hail chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #12

We do not spend much time in side so tv is not a big deal the outside speakers get most of the use. we cook mostly on a weber grill out side mostley and have good showers at the campground the only hot water is used for dishes. We are very happy with the unit so far it holds four people well.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #13

I am in the process of putting 30LB tanks on it as I type! less chasing.

Tags
salem