Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Tom48;941663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Florida is a big state...

If nobody is around, then getting a bottle jack to jack up the frame (not the axle between the sides of the tires) will bring up the low side so you can then put the boards under the tires.

Why would you jack the frame rather than the axle? First my frame is a LITE and only reinforced where there are load points so jacking the frame is limited, but I lift the axle and the bottle jack only has to lift about half inch to take the tire off the ground, then what ever more is needed to block as high as I need to block it. Seems that the travel to lift on the frame would have to include 4 to 6 inched of lifting and decompressing the springs. Isn't easier to lift at the Axle.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Tom
From what I understand that makes sense. But I have read that there are certain points that you want to put the jack. Putting it straight on the axle could cause damage from what I know. And maybe you would want to put it on both axles. It's a shame that someone with a truck couldn't pull it forward 3 feet, put in the blocks, drive it back 3 feet and done.

EDIT: Oops! I posted same time original poster was posting with the resolve to the problem. Disregard this post!
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacipi View Post
Thank you all for your input. Another long day, but I drove over to the dealership this morning, ran into one of the salesman who came to help them set it yesterday and decided to take the nice approach and just say, hey, guess what WE forgot to do? Long story short, he is coming to move it level himself. I really wish it didn't turn out to be such a fiasco. I bought it a month ahead of time, called them to make sure we were all set for the date, etc. Bought everything I needed, couldn't have been much more prepared. As for naming the dealership, I don't want to do that just yet. If you are local it's not hard to figure out, there's only one really big one around here. Hopefully everything will be fixed up and ready to start on the outside so we can move in. This is a whole new life for us and I just want it to be as homey and comfortable as is possible in one of these. Thanks for all your help folks, much appreciated. I did have to run off in the middle of the night, after you guys started posting and shut the slides and turn off the appliances. Newbie mistake.
That sounds like it's going to work out.

What you will probably find once it's all level and you have the stabilizers down is that it won't be completely stable. Even though you have the stabilizers down the axle area will provide a little bounce. there are many methods for better stabilization including stabilizer bars http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...stabilizer.htm, jacks Ultra Stacker Jacks, Set of 4 - Ultra-Fab 48-979004 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World, etc. I find the jacks to be easy to use since no modification needed. In your case you put them in front of the front wheel and just behind the back wheel, on patio blocks. Screw up the thread until it just touches the frame. Be sure not to screw then up any higher., Just touches the frame.

And a thought. Not to put water on your fire but I question the longevity of the trailer sitting on the tires, not being moved, for 3 years. For sure you will want to cover the tires from sun damage and maybe check the air pressure every 3 months or so. Just a thought.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #23

Thank you. I have the covers and good idea to check the air pressure routinely.

Also, thank you for the links to the stabilizers. Didn't realize it was something you need near the tires. Very helpful info.
Wacipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Thank you. I have the covers and good idea to check the air pressure routinely.

Also, thank you for the links to the stabilizers. Didn't realize it was something you need near the tires. Very helpful info.
You might not need the stabilizers depending on several factors so if you get it all set up and walk around and it's OK to you, then good. But if it feels 'loose' then look for more stabilization.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #25

probably best just to get them, a steardier feel couldnt' hurt
Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

One thing to do also is use some blocking under the stabilization jacks. This makes the jacks stay more spread out and will help the stabilization also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #27

Maybe you slide out guys can help with the procedure to level. I think I heard some of you agree that leveling a tiny bit high on the slide side will be taken up and level when the slide goes out. Or I think you said, if you start level then put the slides out you may tilt toward them a bit. Help her with detail as we will not be there to help and evidently she has no truck so RE LEVELING may be out of her reach after the sales man comes out once to help. Cudo's to the salesman if he follows through and handles this.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #28

As crazy as your situation sounds and as mad as I would be at the dealer, you need these.

BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler - $64.88
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #29
Site Team

Many times the owners/managers of RV parks have an HD truck with hitch to move units in and out of storage on site. You might also check with the owner manager and see if they can assist. If you can get an 8 ft 2x4 that is fairly straight, you can sit one end on high side in front of tires and the other end on the low side in front of the tires. Try various combos of height of pavers etc under the low side under the 2 x 4 to get the 2 x 4 level. This is the combo of blocks that should be a good starting place.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
As crazy as your situation sounds and as mad as I would be at the dealer, you need these.

BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler - $64.88
Those are a great concept but only for single axle trailers.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #31

Thanks everyone. He came out as promised and we got it all level with the slides out as well. He left. 15 minutes later the darn thing was on a tilt again, the ground is just too soft I think. I saw those BAL levelers and got all excited too, until I saw the lite trailer part.

Here's a question as this is probably going to be an on going issue, after all it's just dirt and at this point no matter what I put between the tires and the ground is going to sink to some degree. Quite frankly, the whole system of leveling is archaic. Having to level and relevel with a truck to roll it just seems ridiculous to me.

What if I had a flat tire? You can't just jack it up like a car to change it? If you can, then I can just keep adding height using a quick jack up of the one side and letting it down again. Just need to get enough height to stick something more under the tires until it quits sinking.

I wonder if that BAL leveler would work just long enough for me to prop more height under the tire.

My other issue is that the frame is like 30" off the ground, most of the jacks I've seen do 24" tops.

Of all the problems I've anticipated with this venture, this wasn't one of them, LOL
Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #32

The big picture problem is that you are using a travel trailer for long term and in a place that is not built for long term, or even short term for that matter. Campgrounds have specially prepared areas for the camper and it is either concrete, asphalt, gravel, sand or any combination of the above. The trailer is on the site for a few days to a few weeks. A few maybe longer but even then it is on a prepared site. There is nothing where you are putting your trailer that says 'long term', actually not even short term. There is a lot of engineering you will need to do before it is all over. Nothing insurmountable just things that need to be done starting with putting really wide surface blocks under everything that touches the ground.

Quote, "My other issue is that the frame is like 30" off the ground, most of the jacks I've seen do 24" tops." You should be jacking up the trailer by the axle area not the frame. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do on where exactly to jack will chime in here soon.

We are here to help, just keep on updating us.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #33

Thank you so much
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #34

I have seen people using two Bals on dual axle trailers, but one guy told me it said they are not made for that.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #35

I've got water, 30 amp service, all the amenities of pools etc., paved roads, the woods, propane delivery, tv and close to work and 50% of the place is fulltimers. Not sure what you mean by not long term where I am putting it? Just not a concrete or asphalt surface or what?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #36

No, they aren't madmax, but if I could use something just to make that small tire adjustment when needed, it would save me a lot of trouble in hunting people down with a hitch. Once it's set I and the rains stop I intend to sure up the area so that rain will not be an issue in the future as I think that is the big prob now. 18 inches in 2 weeks
Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #37

Get a "bottle jack". And assming that you do not have torsion type sudpension, you should be able to get about an 8 ton rated one right on the axle. Put it under the axle centered front to rear and as close to the tire as you can. There are big u bolts clamping the axle to the spring. If the soil is soft be sure you put the jack on a stable block. Lift one wheel at a time and change the paver thickness as needed. Be careful under there.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:18 AM   #38
Plain Old Member

When we full timed in our previous fifth wheel, even though we had the 6 point level up system, it wasn't stable and would shift on occasion. We always added 6 Camco 48860 screw jacks evenly spaced on the frame. Put them on a decent pad and they make a world of difference in stabilizing the thing. You can tighten / loosen as needed. These go to 30". We had the high frame as well, thus needing the taller jacks. Here's just a couple of links to those. Yes, a little pricey but once you have them you have them. We still have ours, but use them for other things now that we're typical RVers again.
Camco Telescoping 6,000lb Stabilizer Jack - 2 Pack - Telescoping - Stabilizer & Leveling Jacks - Jacks & Levelers
Camco 48860 Telescopic Stabilizing Jack Camper Trailer RV

Personally, if I were doing what your doing, I'd be blocking the thing up more like a mobile home with cinder blocks. Then it won't matter if you have a flat or tire pressures go down.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Venice, FL, yes permanent. I have those plastic blocks, about 10000 of them, I thought these guys were using them while I was busy hooking up the water. I am going to go pick up some concrete pavers in the morning. I'm not real impressed with these plastic things and since it will be permanently parked, wood is not the best idea down here with all the rain we've been getting. Took them 6 hours just to get the unit into the site, apparently there were some trees in their way and they wanted me to go find another spot. I wasn't about to give it up. They eventually hauled in a little jacky thing and slipped it right in. I think my crying had something to do with that, LOL. I am really attached to this site location. Been a long day.
In addition to leveling, most likely you will be required (Florida ordinances and insurance) to have tie-downs. You don't want high winds to move your new trailer somewhere you don't want it. Check with your park management for both storm tie-down requirements and for help in positioning.

Also, not far from you is Moble Home Depot: 14940 N Cleveland Ave. N. Ft. Myers, FL 33903 (239) 543-3300 Check with them for services you may need.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #40

After Charlie I'm not staying in a tin can if a hurricane is coming, but I don't want it blowing away either. 8k isn't all that heavy really. I asked about tie downs, um, at the dealership, they said I didn't need them. ack

I couldn't find those higher jacks to save my life. Thank you BigJ.

Tom, what's a bottle jack?

I once tried to use a hydraulic jack to rip out a 100 year old cast iron tub... yeah, it went through the floor. I needed to change 2 rear tires on my work van once (I was young) and didn't think through the logistics of lifting the entire back off the ground... yeah, it twisted and fell off the jack which went through the back door. Even stacked a whole bunch of socket wrenches once to reach down to a bolt near the engine I couldn't reach. Yeah, it fell apart and I punched myself in the nose and broke it. So, I tend to try to think these through now.

Apparently, I have asked all the right questions. Just am not getting all the right answers.

Is there a fancy name for tie downs, because I can't find them either or instructions to make them.

I just wanted a few years not taking care of a house for once in my life, just coming off of fighting 5 years for our child with 2 different really bad cancers and a bone marrow transplant, I need a break and a huge change of scenery. I love to work, so the work involved at a campsite is no big deal compared to what we've been doing until now. After 1500 nights and days in the hospital I have become claustrophobic and spend all my time outside in my lanai now. So this whole idea just seemed to make a lot of sense to me for the next few years. If weren't for work and the need for insurance I'd be on the road right now.

Tags