Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Newbie, Please help me

Dealership set up my new 2015 29' FKBS Salem TT in the park today. They parked it, chocked it with my chocks and left!!! Never leveled it. Here's the great part, I have no means of hitching and moving this thing to put something under the tires (they are on the ground). It is tilting to the slide out side something awful. And even with the slides in it is tilting, so the tires on one side must be way lower than the tires on the other. Is there any way to lift those tires up enough and fast enough to get some blocks under them without hiring someone to hitch me up and drive over leveler blocks? Seriously afraid it is just gong to tip over. I have no idea what to do in this case. I have searched all over the net to try and figure out a solution to no avail. I could really use some help here even if all you have to say is to find someone with a truck and a hitch which might be difficult. I seriously could not be newer at this. Thank you.
Wacipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Where are you?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Florida
Old 07-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

All you have to do is ask around for someone to hook on to it to help level it. People will be more than happy to help you get situated.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

Thank you
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacipi View Post
Florida
Florida is a big state... Where exactly in FL? Someone here may be close by.

Do you have anything to level this trailer, like 8 inch wide by 5 foot long 1.5 inch thick lumber that you can put under the tires? Or plastic leveling blocks? Do you have a bubble level to do any measuring? or an iphone? Iphone app under Extras then compass, then page 2 has an electronic level that works good.

This sounds like you are parked there permanently. Everyone pulling a big trailer uses the same sized ball, so just ask someone to hitch up to you and push or pull you onto some leveling blocks. If you have the necessary things, it should be accomplished in a few minutes.

If nobody is around, then getting a bottle jack to jack up the frame (not the axle between the sides of the tires) will bring up the low side so you can then put the boards under the tires.

I seriously doubt your trailer will tip over, but your fridge will not work until you are level.

hope this helps some

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #7

Venice, FL, yes permanent. I have those plastic blocks, about 10000 of them, I thought these guys were using them while I was busy hooking up the water. I am going to go pick up some concrete pavers in the morning. I'm not real impressed with these plastic things and since it will be permanently parked, wood is not the best idea down here with all the rain we've been getting. Took them 6 hours just to get the unit into the site, apparently there were some trees in their way and they wanted me to go find another spot. I wasn't about to give it up. They eventually hauled in a little jacky thing and slipped it right in. I think my crying had something to do with that, LOL. I am really attached to this site location. Been a long day.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #8

Not sure how to jack up and level a park model. Yes get some pavers...
here is something to read
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...del-10567.html

and another

Leveling 40' Park Model for Permanent Setup

from reading these I would think that due to uneven ground you may need a few pieces thinner than pavers, like maybe the plastic things or pressure treated 5/4 deck lumber which would measure about 1 inch in thickness. If you get someone to help it should not take too long to get it level.

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
You need a 8-10 ton jack

You will need a 8-10 ton bottle jack to assist in the leveling of your set up.
Go to your local "Northern tools" or Harbor Freight" to get you a jack. You will need some 2"X8" X 12"L blocks of wood, cement blocks (LOTS) a 24" or 36" level to set up your unit permanent. You may also need some wood wedges. First you start by level front to rear. When you get a "ROUGH" level front to rear, then you can get the side by side level. Home depot or Lowes will cut you some wood blocks from a 2"X8"x8' board. Just ask for assistance from someone in the lumber department. Your unit may have be anchored and blocked to Florida/ county code if permanent parked. Where you purchased it should level & block it to code with anchors!!!!!!
To get them (where you purchased it) to level & block it may be an additional cost. Before I purchased any blocking material, I would go back to where you purchased it, talk to them about the blocking & level.

Good luck on your set up.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

This is listed as a (TT) BUT it is going to be used as a (PARK Model)! Did you (Pay) to( deliver )it or (Set it Up)? Sounds like they (Worked) to (Get it in That Site)! You are going to need (Additional Help) and (Cribbing/Blocking/Jacks) and Maybe Permits to (Level and Secure) your unit for (Permanent Location)? You mention (Trees) will the slides clear them in your present location? (6 hrs) to locate unit on a Site!! Can you Post a Few Pics? Must be a (Real Doozy of a Site)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #11

I'm annual and I'll stay for about 3 years, so it will be at the resort/park year round allowing me to save a slew of money for retirement (I have a big house) over and above my initials costs for this. At the end of 3 years I want a very small RV and intend to just take off and travel till I can't anymore. So this will be a good learning ground for me. it's just a 29 ft. unit and Half of the park is annual full timers.

The first guy looked at it and said no way, I do this for a living every day. I begged him to try. Turns out he was just lazy and unsure of himself. 2 other guys showed up with a machine from the dealership and it was in in less than 10 minutes by utilizing the 2 sites next to it and coming in sideways then turning it. But they chocked it and left. The original man, still there, connected the sewer line, said it didn't need to be leveled and then left. I connected the water line and electric. Held my breath and pushed the buttons.

Yes, I paid for full site install and full set up on the site. Part of the arrangement as without it I knew I couldn't do this on my own and have no truck, I knew squat at the time of purchase. They were quite eager to take all my cash (probably my first mistake), but after that the customer service really sucked. Thank god the teaching session was really good and I video taped it all.

Once set, the slides cleared the tree beautifully.

As for the site, it's not a doozy of a site but it is nice. The guy was just very unsure of himself. The 6 hours was mostly wait time on the other 2 guys. In the meantime, 2 other campers came by and said they got their rigs in there, longer than mine with little difficulty, just patience. The manager of the park came over and told him how they get rigs in there and the guy just bawked and told me to go find another site. That was out of the question for several reasons... one, it's too late to find a decent one and secondly I have plans for this site which is 35' by 90' and in the shade (which I have to have) as I work in my lanai presently and spend all day and evening outside as it is. Hence the tears of frustration and panic.

When all was said and done I looked at the unit and couldn't believe the tilt or how unsteady it feels inside. I tried using the leveling jacks to no avail.

I'll post some pics.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #12

This is where they brought the unit through to get it in place. Looked like plenty of room to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150730_144334_resized_2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	84720  
Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

They got it in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150731_174423_resized_1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	84721  
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #14

Those are (NOT) leveling Jacks! You ( Will/Can) Damage them! If you Paid for (Set Up) Demand what you paid for! If it is that far off level you should (NOT) even use your Refer or Have put you slides Out! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #15

Assume you've been on the phone to the dealer demanding they finish the job you've already paid for?
If they refuse one of your campground neighbors with a truck should be able to help - doesn't look like too big a job.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #16

This is the plan if I ever get this thing leveled
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer rv final reworked (1024x462).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	84722  
Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

This is crazy! Anyone with even a little experience could have knocked this out in an hour. Amazing the incompetence in the world today masquerading as skilled. I wish I was close to you and would just get this done. Can't believe what's wrong with everyone these days. Call the dealer and demand they finish the job. Post the dealer's name here so we can all call and complain. What gives? I wish you the best of luck and feel eventually it will get done right. As was said before me, you may not want to run the refrigerator until level but it may be Ok for that. hard to tell from pics just how un-level it is. Don't try to use the stabilizers for leveling.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #18

That is not a park model TT so it shouldn't be any problem moving it to get it level. I would suggest you put pavers under both sides of the TT since you are on sandy soil (?) and it will most certainly settle in a 3 year period. Pavers would give it a larger footprint. Someone in the park should be able to help or give a specific location and I'm sure someone on this forum will help.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #19

[QUOTE=rsdata;941237]Florida is a big state...

If nobody is around, then getting a bottle jack to jack up the frame (not the axle between the sides of the tires) will bring up the low side so you can then put the boards under the tires.

Why would you jack the frame rather than the axle? First my frame is a LITE and only reinforced where there are load points so jacking the frame is limited, but I lift the axle and the bottle jack only has to lift about half inch to take the tire off the ground, then what ever more is needed to block as high as I need to block it. Seems that the travel to lift on the frame would have to include 4 to 6 inched of lifting and decompressing the springs. Isn't easier to lift at the Axle.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #20

Thank you all for your input. Another long day, but I drove over to the dealership this morning, ran into one of the salesman who came to help them set it yesterday and decided to take the nice approach and just say, hey, guess what WE forgot to do? Long story short, he is coming to move it level himself. I really wish it didn't turn out to be such a fiasco. I bought it a month ahead of time, called them to make sure we were all set for the date, etc. Bought everything I needed, couldn't have been much more prepared. As for naming the dealership, I don't want to do that just yet. If you are local it's not hard to figure out, there's only one really big one around here. Hopefully everything will be fixed up and ready to start on the outside so we can move in. This is a whole new life for us and I just want it to be as homey and comfortable as is possible in one of these. Thanks for all your help folks, much appreciated. I did have to run off in the middle of the night, after you guys started posting and shut the slides and turn off the appliances. Newbie mistake.

Tags