Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Optimal Brake Controller settings?

Hi guys,
I thought I'd post this question as it was on my mind yesterday while pulling my TT.
I use a time delayed brake controller and was wondering what the optimal setting feels like when pulling.
I have my own settings, but I don't know if they are correct.
Currently, when I apply the brakes under normal situations, the truck slows as normal, but upon brake release seems to be pushed by the trailer. This is the same at very slow speeds as well as highway speeds. I don't feel like the truck is doing all the stopping alone, but the pushing was concerning.
Do I adjust more brake power to the trailer or less under this situation?
What's it supposed to feel like when all is "properly setup"?
Thanks for your input on this one..
Rhime

1999 F-150
2011 Cruise Lite 26BH
1,000,000mi of open road!
Rhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

"Currently, when I apply the brakes under normal situations, the truck slows as normal, but upon brake release seems to be pushed by the trailer."
=========================================
That is impossible, so I wouldn't worry about that feeling.
As long as the trailer seems to be doing its share of the stopping, and you don't have to use excessive force on the brake pedal, I'd say you were doing ok.
With the old style controllers, I liked to feel the trailer brakes come on before the truck. But with the newer units that doesn't work, so its a bit tougher to get them set just right.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Jack of All Trades

First off, do yourself a favor and invest in a good inertia type brake controller. They are much-much better than the time delay brake controller.

With that said, 15 years ago when I last had a time delay brake controller I set it that the trailer brakes would come on to cause a slight drag before the tow vehicle brakes activated. Set the power level to provide a firm braking action to slow the whole vehicle train down without locking up the trailer wheels.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That "pushing" feeling you are getting is when the brakes on the travel are applied the trailer is pulling DOWN on your hitch and when you release the brakes it is bouncing back up and giving you the feeling of it "pushing" you .
I have an inertia brake controller and I have it set at 6.5 volts which works well for my tow vehicle and 5th wheel . You may have to have more or less to get the feel you want.
do a search on brake controllers and or brake on this forum there was a post not to long ago about how to adjust your controller .
most quality controllers have setup instructions and or web site instructions to guide you through .
whats right for my vehicle or your neighbors may not be right for you .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I set one up so the combination, trailer and tow vehicle, at 50 mph takes the same pedal pressure to slow down the same amount as if the tow vehicle had no trailer. I feel this gives me the longest brake life, in other words, not overworking the trailer brakes, or the tow vehicle brakes. Of course, as with most opinions on here, your mileage may vary.

One last thing for the first couple of posters on this thread, and others reading, don't use bold for your entire post.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the help...
Sorry about using bold, but I didn't choose that option. It just showed up.

1999 F-150
2011 Cruise Lite 26BH
1,000,000mi of open road!
Rhime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes