Old 03-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Organizing in travel trailer

Would love to hear any tips on how you stay organized in your trailer, specifically those with the mid size to smaller units. As far as storing food, clothes, supplies, etc.
We have the 195bh and it seems we struggle on longer trips and end up with items falling out of cabinets and dirty clothes/shoes all over.

I don't feel like we are maximizing space well and looking for mods or tips that could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
We have the 261Bhxl but similar storage. We purchased some expanding wire shelves at Walmart and put them in all of the cupboards. That doubles the storage space. We have the bunk model so we purchased a standup 3 drawer plastic unit and put it in the small closet instead of hanging clothes there. It made the space much more usable. We have the queen bed with the full length shelf above, so we purchased cloth covered boxes (Bed Bath & Beyond) and it held 6 nicely end to end. Used the space much more efficiently. We put stick on hooks in the toilet/shower for wet towels. We have the unit with the sofa with the open space under one end of it for shoes etc. The other end of it is the furnace. Hope this helps.

"It is what it is!

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
This works well to keep shoes in place plus can also be used to store bath items (shampoo, deodorant, shaving items).
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
This type of thing can be hung in closets, even narrow ones, to create a lot of shelf space. They come in a variety of sizes and number of "shelves".

These things can go under the bed, couch, dinette, or in floor-level compartments. They also come in a variety of sizes, shapes and divider spacing. They can be used for shoes, clothes, food items, miscellaneous gear or whatever.

These can go in cupboards (also in "under" spaces) to make more of the room accessible. They come in 11" and 13" - used to come in a larger size but if needed you can add two. (I just installed three of these today!):
2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
I keep everything in containers. That way I do not have to worry about things falling out\over while towing. I use file boxes under the bed. They fold up when not in use and can be easily assembled for those things you need to store away while under way.
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
There is a lot of info on these forums on storage and there are lots of tips/tricks on Pinterest. This is a FaceBook forum I follow and it's pretty good. If the link doesn't work, you can search for RV Storage Ideas and request to be a member. Lots of great ideas there.
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 360 IBL
2014 Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel 6.7 4wd Crew Cab Dually
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
As previously stated, plastic storage totes keep items under control. Measure the openings on your cabinets and get the largest storage container that will fit in the opening (or a container that is half the height and get two of them). All of our wash cloths, dish rags, hand towels are in one tote. Two totes hold non perishable food items. Plastic cups and Rubbermaid storage containers go in another. When packing totes try different ways of arranging items to maximize use of the space.

We use eBags packing cubes for clothing storage. They are collapsible mesh containers. They come in a variety of sizes. Dirty clothes go in a mesh laundry bag with a drawstring.

The space behind our sofa is used for storing outdoor chairs, space heater, solar panels, and pillows.

Anything that does not get used inside of the trailer is stored in the pass thru basement. I have an aluminum tool box in the bed of the truck for life jackets, kayak paddles, etc.
2015 Solaire 201SS
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax
PSU Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Bought some containers like these at TJ Maxx. I use them in the fridge and in my cabinets for small things like spices, fruit, etc. My cabinet doors flip up so I can't use the inside of the doors.

Bought a shower caddie, the kind that hangs over the shower nozzle. I pull that out when we park. I set it on the counter against the wall with a couple of command hooks so it doesn't fall down. I use that for onions, potatoes, bananas.....

We have two storage ottomans that we use instead of the table in front of the sofa. Extra storage and we can put our feet up if we're watching TV. We don't bring the table so that leaves a lot of storage room behind the sofa. They are this style.

tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Dirty clothes and getting organized

For dirty clothes we take a plastic clothes basket and put it in the shower. This gives everyone one place and can be moved for showering.

If you have a couch we take long rectangular bins under the couch and use them for the infrequently used clothes. This will give extra space for daily use.
SweetOleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Our previous SOB fifth wheel had a laundry chute from the bedroom closet to a basket in the pass through storage area. Our current mh has an opening from one bedroom closet to an outside storage area that was easily adapted for the same use. At laundry time it's already in the basket.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer