Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #1

Picked up our 2013 30KQBSS

We picked up our trailer on Friday and spent a night at a campground in Lebanon, Ohio. Needless to say, it was an adventure.

The campground where we stayed was an older camp with a lot of what looked to be homesteaders....fifth wheels with insulation under them. None of the sites were level, so it was a good training exercise in leveling the trailer.

When we went to turn on the water, I went inside and I could hear water running, but nothing in the kitchen or the bathroom was running water. Since we're newbies, just didn't know if that was "normal". I went outside and saw water leaking out the back of the trailer! Someone at the dealership had left the faucet on in the outside kitchen.....AAAAAHHH!! Lifted the door to the outside kitchen..WHOOSH! Got a bunch of towels and cleaned up the mess. We took it back to the dealer to have them look for water damage....there was also leaking around the toilet.

Hitching up the next day was an adventure as well. Lined it up perfectly very quickly with my wife spotting me, but took half an hour and a campground employee's help to get the dang thing to lock on the ball.

Don't get me wrong...we had fun and we love our new trailer. But it was an adventure the 1st time out. At least I have a couple things that happened to us that we can learn from. I'll NEVER hook up water without the outdoor kitchen door being open!
turleybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 30KQBSS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Welcome ,Who was the dealer,T/R? Yes that C/G can be a challenge. Look at the Rally section of this Forum,(Tadpole Rally South) level long sites. Would welcome you to join us. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

The dealer was Jeff Couch's RV in Hamilton, Ohio. They were very helpful, but the water being left on in that outdoor kitchen was a killer for a newbie. I mean there must be a checklist on those things. Hopefully if there was any damage, they'll fix it rather than cover it up. It's back in for repairs now.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

Congrats on your new TT. We have the same unit and picked it up from the dealer last Saturday.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Welcome! Congrats on the new trailer! I was actually planning to go to that same dealer soon. How is it there? Did you get a good deal? I'm coming from the Detroit area. Is it worth the trip for me?

John N.
Madison Heights, Mi.
2009 Salem LE 27RBEC
2013 F250 Lariat 6.2L
Leathergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

Congrats on you Salem and welcome to the Forum. I have the 2012 30kqbss we love it and yes we bought ours from the same place. We will be going to Tadpole Rally South also should be a great time. For your check list do a search for RV Check List and you can find an app for you phone if you have a smart phone. Best of luck on your new camper.
I also did something like you did. I just topped off my fresh water tank. Went to the flying field which has not water hook up.Unloaded the tt from tv set the tt up ready for a good weekend of camping. I opened up the kitchen door to wash my hands turned the water on. Dang it I forgot to turn the water pump on. Went to turn the pump came back to wash my hands and some friends stop by for a visit. Well by the time they left I dumped 20 gal. water in my gray tank.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turleybe View Post
The dealer was Jeff Couch's RV in Hamilton, Ohio. They were very helpful, but the water being left on in that outdoor kitchen was a killer for a newbie. I mean there must be a checklist on those things. Hopefully if there was any damage, they'll fix it rather than cover it up. It's back in for repairs now.
Hate to admit it, but i did the same thing with the water a week ago....had dealer fill fw tank. Then once at our campsite, i turned on the pump....realized the hw tank would take a bit to fill (12 gal!) But never built pressure. Our plan was to head to town for basic groceries or take out and as we left i thought to check the outside kitchen. No mess thankfully, but the grey tank for that kitchen was about full and we had no water....lesson learned and memory made.
I'm sure damage is/was Minimal and you'll be camping in no time!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathergypsy, How is it there? Did you get a good deal? I'm coming from the Detroit area. Is it worth the trip for me?
We bought ours at the Dayton RV Show. The deal was $19,300 out the door with tax, title and we got the Blue Ox weight distribution sway bars. The were very accomodating and I'd say it would be tough to get a better deal. I don't know what the deals are like in Michigan, but after doing a bit of internet research, I believe we got a good deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

The ball needs to be in the front of the coupler to get the pawl down. Next time instead of perfectly lining up the ball and coupler, line it up so the coupler will hit the ball a little bit and slide over it. The ball should have some grease on it.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote