Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Pulling with Tacoma double cab 4.0 tips

Hello all. Been pulling our new Salem Cruise Lite 196 for a couple of short camping trips over the past couple of weeks. There has been no sway to speak of. We even had a very windy day. Would you all still Consider an anti-sway kit ? I've noticed a lot of "bounce" when pulling it with my Tacoma. Will stiffer"stronger" shocks help with this ? Or would a weight distribution hitch work ? Also any tips on things I can do to upgrade my truck for better pulling will be gladly accepted. My truck definantly doesn't like the hills. We are wanting to take a much longer trip where there is going to be a lot of uphill / downhill driving. I am getting a trailer brake system before we go on a longer trip but wanted to know of any other ideas to help the truck. It says it has a 6000 pound toe limit, but I am one who thinks 1/2 of that, or slightly over , is as much as I will ever go with the 4.0 engine.
Kevhel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

Although your Salem Cruise Lite 196 is only around 3400 empty/4000 loaded, IMO it still needs a WDH, especially when towed by lighter trucks... It's still a full-size TT which creates a lot of wind resistance and can be pushed-around by crosswinds, passing trucks, etc. The single axle can get bouncy and a flat has the potential to pull you left/right of center.

#1) A WDH will increase your stability when you need it most. I like the Equalizer 4 series for good bang/buck performance.

#2) Make sure you have about 15%, or 600 lbs., on the TT tongue. If you don't have enough tongue weight, the TT can sway back & forth, even with a WDH installed.

#3) What tires does your Tacoma have? If you don't already have them, LT C/D tires will improve your towing experience. Fill them to max rated pressure when towing & then let some out when you are commuting for a smoother ride... LT tires handle a wider pressure range without ruining the tread wear like passenger tires...

The Toyota V6 4.0L only has about 236 HP & 266 Torque so it's going to struggle the closer you get to max GCVW of combined TV & TT. It's better at towing boats, flatbed landscaping trailers, etc. that have less wind resistance... It's definitely one truck I would not push past max payload, max GCVW, etc.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Thanks Rhino. I will be getting a WDH for next year. This is the first travel trailer I've ever owned and don't want a larger truck (for space in the garage purposes). I would rather upgrade my Tacoma to make it as safe as possible. It seems to be VERY well on the highway.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevhel1 View Post
Hello all. Been pulling our new Salem Cruise Lite 196 for a couple of short camping trips over the past couple of weeks. There has been no sway to speak of. We even had a very windy day. Would you all still Consider an anti-sway kit ? I've noticed a lot of "bounce" when pulling it with my Tacoma. Will stiffer"stronger" shocks help with this ? Or would a weight distribution hitch work ? Also any tips on things I can do to upgrade my truck for better pulling will be gladly accepted. My truck definantly doesn't like the hills. We are wanting to take a much longer trip where there is going to be a lot of uphill / downhill driving. I am getting a trailer brake system before we go on a longer trip but wanted to know of any other ideas to help the truck. It says it has a 6000 pound toe limit, but I am one who thinks 1/2 of that, or slightly over , is as much as I will ever go with the 4.0 engine.
I have a tacoma 4.0 L pulling a Salem 171RBXL. I believe it is heavier than yours. I have a weight distribution hitch w sway bar. My front end still felt like it was "walking". I installed the Timbren suspension system and now all is fine. Haven't done any mountains but the truck handles it well. I am a firm believer in Timbren now.
OLDNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks. I will look into the timbren suspension system as well. Oldnavy What is furthest distance you have pulled it, how is your gas mileage ?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #6

The longest trip was about 300 miles 1 way. Texas Hill country
OLDNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #7

I have the same truck, doesn't the owner's manual state that trailor brakes are required for anything over 1000 lbs! I can feel mine 'fighting back" when towing my boat and trying to stop quickly! The boat is around 1500lbs. If your pulling twice that much, without brakes and something happens, you could be in alot of trouble!
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Yep. Brake controller is already on order. Luckily where I have taken it is a VERY short distance from my home and only a couple of bills to battle. Won't be taking it on a long trip till we get everything we need for it.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Canadian Member

Anything over 3500# should have a WDH. When towing a tall trailer like a travel trailer you should have sway control unless you have a 3/4 ton or bigger tow vehicle. If you're towing a flat bed trailer, sway won't be as big of an issue since it doesn't catch as much wind and the center of gravity is much lower. Pulling a travel trailer, even a small one, is like pulling a kite down the road. Think about holding a 4x8 sheet of plywood vertically in the wind and you'll understand the forces at work.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Scoundrel

If you're going to stay with the Tacoma consider beefing up the trucks suspension with Bilstein shocks and a new Old Man Emu leaf stacks in the back (Google Old Man Emu). You'll increase the trucks payload capacity (still limited by the Gross Axle Weight Rating) and combined with a proper WDH set up will tow much better.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #11

I've been pulling my TT with a Tacoma for 3 years. Definitely get a WDH and upgrade your shocks to Bilstein or better. I'd avoid long trips until you get a bigger truck. We tend to stick to 2 hours or less on the road between home and whatever campsite we are going to. We did take a longer trip last year (6 hours or more) but won't be doing that again until I upgrade.

Good luck!
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #12

Consider adding a transmission oil cooler if you don't already have one. Also a temp gauge for the transmission. Excessive heat in the tranny will leave you on the side of the road and an empty wallet. Also check radiator hoses, they break down from heat when towing. If you haven't changed them yet, dont wait.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glindz233s View Post
I've been pulling my TT with a Tacoma for 3 years. Definitely get a WDH and upgrade your shocks to Bilstein or better. I'd avoid long trips until you get a bigger truck. We tend to stick to 2 hours or less on the road between home and whatever campsite we are going to. We did take a longer trip last year (6 hours or more) but won't be doing that again until I upgrade.

Good luck!
With 2 adults and 2 kids in your Tacoma pulling a 233S you'll be over your GVWR. Sounds like you're aware of that though.

The OP is pulling a much lighter trailer.

My 2008 Tacoma TRD 4-dr. was rated for 6500# and max. tongue weight of 650#. With myself and a 100# teenager in the cab we were right at its GVWR pulling our 5200# (loaded) Roo 23SS. It lacked pulling power for that much weight. We had to take a second vehicle to compensate. Did that until we upgraded to a F-150.

I loved my Tacoma but it was a gas guzzler for its size and wasn't built for towing much. It's a great off road truck though.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

I have a 2008 Tacoma double cab and pull my Clipper 17 RD I have the sway bars and break controller / electric breaks. Living in OK it seems to always be windy. No troubles in two years with the Tacoma. I did install an oil cooler purchased on e-trailer.com. There is a recall on the Tacoma leaf springs you might want to see if your year Tacoma has a recall. The Clipper empty wt is about 3800 lbs
Scottdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #15

When I bought my TT I had a 2007 Tacoma V6 6-speed manual. I loved my Tacoma -- I used it for extensive off-roading in both the Utah mountains and desert, and it was paid for. Even though my TT was within the rated 6,500 lb. towing capacity I was dangerously close to that (and the GVCR) when fully loaded. Frankly, I didn't have enough power for Utah mountains and I was accordingly beating up the truck too much.

I ended up trading it in for a 2014 Tundra -- one of the smartest things I've done even though I absolutely adored both my Taco and the lack of a truck payment. When I walked into the Toyota dealer to see the Tundra, my first words to the salesman were, "I'm here to see a truck that I don't really want."

And I wouldn't think of towing anything like a TT with a Taco without a WDH and trailer brakes. It's not just about the ability to pull, it's also about the ability to stop. On our very first trip, even though I had a brake controller in the Tacoma I was traveling down I-15 during rush hour. Now, keep in mind this is a flat stretch of road. Traffic had been moving at 50-60 mph, but it suddenly came to a stop. I was deliberately keeping excessive distance behind the vehicle in front of me, which at that moment was a semi. Probably about 150-200 feet. When I noticed traffic coming to a sudden stop, I stomped on the brakes. The trailer brakes locked up even, but the Tacoma wasn't stopping. There was no way I was halting this freight train in time. I was fortunately so far back that I had time to check my mirrors, verify that there was no one in the lane to my right, and move into that lane. Had I not been able to do that, I would have assuredly rear-ended the semi. It scared the living crap out of me.

After test driving the Tundra and sleeping on it for a few days, I called the salesman to tell him that I was going to modify the Tacoma instead of buying the Tundra. He slyly let me take the Tundra for a weekend to allow me to try towing my TT with it. That was all it took -- I finally understood the difference.

Moral of the story: even with a 6,500 lb. towing capacity and a brake controller installed, a Tacoma simply doesn't have the stopping ability to operate safely towing a loaded TT. And I say this as a devoted Tacoma fan.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #16

Unfortunately I won't have the ability to get another truck. So I am going to have to make the most out of what I have. I am extremely lucky to have a couple of campsites that are just a hop skip and a jump from my home. Won't be making any long trips pulling my TT. Definitely won't be going on a 2.5 hour journey till I get the WDH. I'm like the all you other Tacoma lovers. So I will doing the best I can to improve my Tacoma. Where we camp is so close to home that we don't have to load up too much. And if we needed something, we can just go home and get it. On a long trip, more than likely we will be taking two vehicles. Man all of this advice impresses me. You all are so knowledgeable and i appreciate all of the advice. It's incredible. I am one who listens to advice and uses every bit I can.

Thanks all !!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #17

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2017 4 door tacoma with a 4100lbs camper. I have a WDH and brake controller. I have also done extensive research on the towing with a Tacoma. If you search the Tacoma forums there are literally 1000s of posts about people's experiences. It basically comes down to your comfort level as long as you stay under the weight limits. My first time out I towed my camper up 9% grades in WV. It works hard getting up mountains. I take it slow coming down. The truck handles it though. My only gripe is the gas mileage.

-I have not looked into upgrading the suspension, but it doesn't seem necessary IMO.
-Reading tacoma forums, people out in Colorado complain about things getting too hot and needing a transmission temperature gauge. Out in PA I don't really have that issue.
-The tacoma manual recommends a WDH for towing anything over 3000 lbs...

In summary, I am happy with the Tacoma's towing ability.
asim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #18

WDH= yes
Sway control = yes
Good shocks =yes
Brake contoller = yes

If your back end is sagging really bad after the WDH then consider better springs or a air bag set up . As for the power just dont be in a hurry the 4 liter in those trucks is pretty stout and durable . Heck I pulled my Malibu boat for a few years with my 1985 Toyota 4X4 when I first bought my house and was tight on money . I wasnt a power house but It wasnt horrible either . I actually preferred the winding roads better and it was easier to find a good lower gear that would keep up with traffic and keep me in the torque curve . Enjoy your trailer happy camping

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #19

Thanks again. I think I will do just fine. I am one of those who think about what can go wrong and do things I can do to keep as safe as possible. So far the hills are the only issue I have. I just like to hear from other people and their experiences. Once again GREAT FORUM AND ADVICE. WDH and beefier shocks are next. Want my Tacoma to last and give us great camping trips. Won't be going far, but will still be out in nature.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #20

I get it, I really do. I would've loved to have kept my Tacoma, and your trailer is somewhat lighter than mine so it's much further within the truck's towing parameters. I'm also very fortunate in that although I was sweating taking on another truck payment, a month after purchase I managed to fall into some money (had I known that would happen I would've kept the Tacoma, too). And yes, I read the entire Tacoma Towing Bible in the TacomaWorld forums many times over before purchasing my TT -- it's an excellent resource.

Seriously, though, use a brake controller. They're cheap -- I paid around $300 installed just because I didn't trust myself to install it properly as the truck wasn't pre-wired. I could've saved half that had I installed it myself. However, in addition to the brake controller, also give some serious consideration to upgrading the stock brakes in the Taco to something with more stopping power. There are numerous heavy-duty aftermarket brake systems out there that are a huge improvement over the stock brakes in the Tacoma.

Some years ago, a friend of mine who owns a well-respected auto repair shop here tried using his Tacoma to pull his first TT, a 19-footer. When he saw my new TT on Facebook he tried to tell me about his inability to safely stop his rig, and I gave him all the reasons why I thought that I'd have no problem -- weight limits, engine braking with a manual transmission, etc. I had to swallow my pride later and go back to tell him that he was right. Crow has a nasty aftertaste.

The ability to stop is just as (more important than?) the truck's ability to pull. God forbid you have one e-stop situation and you'll understand like I did, hopefully without any negative consequences. I can still see the back end of that semi in my mind, and feel that pit in my stomach that instantly materialized when I realized that I couldn't stop in time.

With that said, enjoy your new TT! This is our first summer with ours, and we've been out nearly every weekend with it and loving it. I'm certain that you will, too.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote