Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Putting on cover and walking roof of 196bhxl

I am getting ready to put my cover on my 196bhxl and I am not a small person. I am over 300 lbs and I am wondering if it is going to hold my weight. Am I going to have any issues with my weight on the roof while I walk all over it? This is my first TT and I just want to see if maybe I should have someone lighter get up there.
Kevhel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

I just looked up your model online. I run about 250 + or - 10# and I get on my roof of my hybrid dual axle SHamrock 183. HOWEVER, I can do most of the work I need to do up there from a 12 foot stepladder propped against the side... whichever side I need to be on. If I do get on the roof, I generally am kneeling (with kneeling pads on).

I park under a canopy cover, but I don't think I need to caution you to soften all the sharp edges before putting on the cover. I would use large diameter pipe insulation, split open and some Gorilla tape to hold it on those sharp edges on the roof and corners of the RV to lessen the chance of tearing in snow loads and wind.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #3

I was going to try and do it just with a ladder on the sides, but most videos show someone getting up on the roof. Seems to make it easier. Planned on cutting up a "noodle" and using it on the down spouts.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
but most videos show someone getting up on the roof.
take it from me... 95% of roof maintenance does NOT require getting on the roof, especially if you are as big or bigger than me...

last time I washed the roof, which I do twice a year, I did it from the ladder... If I get a smaller helper, then let them get on the roof... but NOT necessary much of the time... and like I said before, I crawl on hands and knees when I do need to be up there...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevhel1 View Post
I was going to try and do it just with a ladder on the sides, but most videos show someone getting up on the roof. Seems to make it easier. Planned on cutting up a "noodle" and using it on the down spouts.
Instead of putting "noodles" on all the sharp points. Mark them all with a piece of chalk or soap and bring the cover into a canvas shop and have them sew on vinyl reinforcements. That's how it's done with boat covers all the time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

Gonna try to put it on without getting anyone on top. I am 6'4" so it probably won't be much of an issue. That is a great suggestion about getting add ons sewed on. Probably won't spend the extra money to get add ons made in the cover. Might just cut a towel. That way I can tape them in place. The noodle might slide off during the instal.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

On our water spouts, I use tennis balls with a X cut into one spot for the spout. Ball stays in place and protects the cover well.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
2017 Ford F250 XLT 4x2 6.2L 3.73
alarge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #8

Like the tennis ball idea as well !
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevhel1 View Post
This is a dangerous undertaking. It would be very difficult to put a cover on using a ladder. There are multiple obstructions such as the roof air, plumbing vents and ventilation vents. For one, ladders have a weight rating. They can be very unstable when reaching out and leaning over which you will have to do a lot of. You also have to consider that you may have some wind movement and these covers can easily kite (a hazard in itself).

If walking a camper roof, there a lot of obstructions that can be trip hazards, especially if you are unstable on your feet. I was on the roof trying to cover a 28 ft class C. With two knee replacements, I was totally uncomfortable. Aside from personal weight, you also have the weight of the cover which is initially in the same area as the body. Personally, I would enlist someone with agility to walk the roof or not put it on at all. It is not worth the gamble.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #10

Yes be very careful when putting the cover on the roof. Our 25 foot class c was a challenge the first time. Watch for those vents and do not step on your solar panel. I put my foot through the sky light over the bath room. Nice job for this spring to replace it. Take the anti bellowing devices off of the slides( we have 3 of them) and cover those sharp drain eves troughs on the corners.

Brandon 2
2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roo, roof