Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I have EZ Lube fittings on my boat trailer for 12 years and camping trailer for 4 years. I pump in grease until the old grease comes to front. I have never had grease go out the rear seal.
boat trailer bearing buddies are a different type. There is a spring behind the outer plate where the zerk is mounted. By pumping grease in you compress that spring some and it causes the inside of the hub to be pressurized, keeping water out of the hub, water in the bearings are the leading cause of boat trailer failure.

back before bearing buddies we had a boat trailer that had rubber covers over the spindles and no spindle caps. Before launching you used a little squeeze bulb to pump up these covers or bladders, that kept the water out.

And on a boat its best to let the hubs cool down before launching if possible.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
^^^^ Jack up with Floor jack and put jack stands under axle.
Axles can and will bend.... and you will be very unhappy when you have to replace tires... and then the axle. Be careful where you put the floor jack and jack stands.... must be under the leafsprings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
boat trailer bearing buddies are a different type. There is a spring behind the outer plate where the zerk is mounted. By pumping grease in you compress that spring some and it causes the inside of the hub to be pressurized, keeping water out of the hub, water in the bearings are the leading cause of boat trailer failure.

back before bearing buddies we had a boat trailer that had rubber covers over the spindles and no spindle caps. Before launching you used a little squeeze bulb to pump up these covers or bladders, that kept the water out.

And on a boat its best to let the hubs cool down before launching if possible.
Not true on the Bearing Buddies. My boat trailer has EZ Lube axles just like on my Fifth Wheel. I pull the rubber cap off before towing to see if I've had any water infiltration. I had a small amount of grease leaking out the rear seal when pulling so replaced the rear seals. (Trailer does not have brakes). You are correct regarding cool down in any situation. Suddenly dunking hot hubs creates a vacuum situation inside the hubs that can pull water into them.
Grease seal maintenance is the key to successfully using EZ Lube systems.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Not true on the Bearing Buddies. My boat trailer has EZ Lube axles just like on my Fifth Wheel. I pull the rubber cap off before towing to see if I've had any water infiltration. I had a small amount of grease leaking out the rear seal when pulling so replaced the rear seals. (Trailer does not have brakes). You are correct regarding cool down in any situation. Suddenly dunking hot hubs creates a vacuum situation inside the hubs that can pull water into them.
Grease seal maintenance is the key to successfully using EZ Lube systems.
You missed my point. The primary purpose of Bearing Buddies (not EZ lube) is to prevent water from getting into the hubs, hence the spring, I don't think EZ lube axles have the spring. Are you sure they are the same design, not seen that before.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
You missed my point. The primary purpose of Bearing Buddies (not EZ lube) is to prevent water from getting into the hubs, hence the spring, I don't think EZ lube axles have the spring. Are you sure they are the same design, not seen that before.
I didn't miss your point. I've had bearing buddies on several boat trailers over the years and I understand how they are spring loaded to keep pressure on the grease. The EZ Lube type are not spring loaded, but the idea is to keep the void full of grease so that there is no place for water to infiltrate into the bearing area. Again the key is rear grease seals, (which additionally are just as important on Bearing Buddy systems). Without correctly installed, good condition seals, water can get in when immersed. The big difference between the Bearing Buddies, and EZ Lube, is that BB's force grease from the front to the back, through the outside bearing onto the inside bearing, allowing for air pockets to form, and EZ Lube which pumps grease through a passage that comes out behind the inside bearing, between the seal and the bearing, which forces grease through from the back of the bearings through to the front and all air will be displaced. We could argue all day as to which is better in a marine application, but the agreement would always come down to maintaining the seals and bearings for optimum performance and maintaining adequate grease on a regular basis.
PS I wasn't aware of EZ Lube in marine applications until recently myself.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle