Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Retract slide-outs when not at the trailer?

Greetings,
I have a 2017 36BHBS that is permanently located in a trailer park. We try to get there most weekends during the summer season, but occasionally it's vacant for 2-3 weeks at a time. I want to stay on top of the maintenance on this trailer, particularly the slide-outs since they seem to be the primary weak spot for leaks. To that end I was thinking that it would be prudent to retract them when we're leaving and slide them back out when we next visit, but literally no one else at the park does this, so I have to ask, am I out to lunch on this? It seems to me that exercising the motors and moving the rails is good for them, also, I think the seals need to be flexed occasionally and not constantly exposed to the elements. Lastly, the primary leak location on the slide-outs seems to be the seam at the bottom on the outer walls, so wouldn't it be best to keep that inside as often as possible?

All thoughts on this are welcome.

Cheers
Johnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Personal preference.
Some do, some don't.
If I were seasonal and had slide toppers, I would not bring them in.
No toppers, I probably would.

I would agree with your assessment that keeping them in would help save the seals/leaks to a degree.

Moving them on a weekly basis, may/may not put more wear and tear on the slide mechanism/motor (depending on slide mfg.) and require cleaning them before retracting if no toppers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Good point about cleaning before retracting. I could do that, but it would be a bit of a pain and my trailer has no attached ladder. I don't have toppers, I didn't think they'd be needed on a trailer that's only 2 years old. I did consider removing the rails that seal the seam on the outer walls of the slide-outs and re-sealing them with a nice thick bead of proper sealant, but in order to reach the whole thing I'd need to extend the slides out further than they normally go, so I thoughts I'd wait until it looked like there may be a problem before I tried that.

What's funny is that literally no one retracts when they leave the park. We walk around a lot, and are often there during the week when the park is usually pretty empty, and I have yet to see a single trailer with the slide-outs retracted. Normally I wouldn't really be guided by the habits of others, but seriously, no one??

Cheers.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
Good point about cleaning before retracting. I could do that, but it would be a bit of a pain and my trailer has no attached ladder. I don't have toppers, I didn't think they'd be needed on a trailer that's only 2 years old. I did consider removing the rails that seal the seam on the outer walls of the slide-outs and re-sealing them with a nice thick bead of proper sealant, but in order to reach the whole thing I'd need to extend the slides out further than they normally go, so I thoughts I'd wait until it looked like there may be a problem before I tried that.

What's funny is that literally no one retracts when they leave the park. We walk around a lot, and are often there during the week when the park is usually pretty empty, and I have yet to see a single trailer with the slide-outs retracted. Normally I wouldn't really be guided by the habits of others, but seriously, no one??

Cheers.
Slide toppers are also a personal choice and really have nothing to do with the age of the R/V but rather whether you want some protection for your slide outs from the elements.

Toppers keep off the weather (sun's damaging UV rays/rain/etc.) and debris (leaves/sticks/pine needles/cones) that can create leaking issues.

Many don't like them because they 'can' create some flapping noise in higher wind situations, especially if not adjusted properly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Personal preference.
Some do, some don't.
If I were seasonal and had slide toppers, I would not bring them in.
No toppers, I probably would.

I would agree with your assessment that keeping them in would help save the seals/leaks to a degree.

Moving them on a weekly basis, may/may not put more wear and tear on the slide mechanism/motor (depending on slide mfg.) and require cleaning them before retracting if no toppers.
THIS^^^^^^^
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
CGK
Camping with Labs

We have always had slide toppers for our TTs that have slides (we have been camping long enough that neither of our pop-ups had them, nor did our first TT). Ironically, it's partially because we have the toppers that we typically retract the slides if we are leaving the TT in a campground for several days with us not in it. I have always been concerned about strong winds (think severe "thunderstorms") catching them or flying debris damaging them. By retracting the slides, we present a smaller target for Mother Nature, although there can obviously still be considerable damage in the wrong weather conditions (still haunted by the picture posted on this forum of the TT that was blown over the side of a hill in the Dakotas). Your analysis of the mechanical arguments for retracting the slides make sense, as well. Guess the location, normal weather conditions, time away from the rig, etc. could also play a part in the decision - but we'll continue to retract our slides as we have been doing.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

We seem to always think about the tops and side seals of our slides. Mice, snakes and other small 'things' can easily get passed the under side sweep and into the unit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

We don't ever retract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post

Cheers.
We bought the 2008 trailer in 2012. It was located on the site it still currently occupies. The prior owner had stabilizer jacks on the slideout and they remain. We don't even know if the slide mechanisms work. The Living Room/Dinette slide has two skylights. We don't really care to add toppers because we like the medium sunlight that comes in--trailer is shaded by tall pines and sweet gums all around.

I've just replaced those two skylights. One fell victim to an errant pine branch missile. The other had begun leaking.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

I have a 2020 QBQ wildwood it replaced out 2005 wildwood same site same park. I only put slides in in the fall . We had leaks in the 05 in out side corner bottom of the slide. We bought it used on the same lot. Point is I asked the dealer and they said . And sold me slide rubber seal spray. And slide lube for putting it in in the fall. We support the slides loosely with Jack's. And I will take them out in the fall . And put the slides in. I usually clean the tops off in the fall. And the park winterized it and slide them in . I had one slide on the 05 and 4 on the new one. I was told the slides are ok left out on the summer. That's my two bits. I will be putting the roll out covers over them next spring. 4 slides are expensive. Most of our friends do the same.
Madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

This is all good stuff, thanks for responding everyone.

We're currently on the fence as to whether or not to move up to a true Park Model in the next couple of years, so I'm not going to make any changes to the trailer until we do. If we decide to keep it i'll likely put the toppers on, and retract the slides if we're going to be away for longer than a week. I think exercising the slides and motors occasionally is a good thing. I keep the rails lubed and I treat the rubber seals twice a year with good quality seal treatment, hopefully we can keep the leaks at bay as that's my single biggest worry with these things, and the absolute last thing I want is for our trailer to become "work".

Cheers all.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

We no longer "seasonal", but if we did, I would put the slides out in the spring and then bring them in partially a couple of times during the summer to re-lube the slides. At the end of the season, I would clean the seals with some soapy water, rinse and then bring the slides in for the winter.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

My TT spends a lot of time sitting on the pad in my back yard with the slide out. When not out camping that is.

I retract my slide every other week so the landscaper can mow the grass that would be covered with the slide out. Then it's just a matter of my mood as to whether I extend until next lawn mowing day or not.

Personal view, slide mechanisms were designed to be used. If there were to be a problem with the slide moving in or out I'd just as soon find out about it as soon as possible so I could deal with it. Keeping seals and slide sides clean, keeping batteries "up", lubricating mechanism(s) with a good dry lube, and paying close attention to strange noises that might indicate a problem developing is just good business. Whether the unit is stored-slides in or slides out- is up to each person to decide.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Site Team

We've been seasonal for quite a few years and you're right, nobody does this.

Treat the rubber seals a couple of times a year with some sealant, lubricate the mechanisms with a dry lube spray, check the roof every so often and you're good to go.

Mine go out in April and don't come in until October.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We've been seasonal for quite a few years and you're right, nobody does this.

Treat the rubber seals a couple of times a year with some sealant, lubricate the mechanisms with a dry lube spray, check the roof every so often and you're good to go.

Mine go out in April and don't come in until October.

Especially important to keep sides of slides clean. Not a bad idea to give them a good wipe down before retracting after sitting a while. Whatever might be on the side of the slide will get wiped off by the seals and if it's abrasive dust/dirt or sticky sap it will eventually lead to unpleasant issues. Obviously slide roof should be clean too-----same problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
We bought the 2008 trailer in 2012. It was located on the site it still currently occupies. The prior owner had stabilizer jacks on the slideout and they remain. We don't even know if the slide mechanisms work.
There was a trailer like that at our CG. The owners literally left their one slide out 24/7/365 for years. This is in Northern Illinois too.

When they finally got a new trailer they tried to push the slide back in so they could move the trailer and it basically fell out and disintegrated.

I wish I would've taken pictures of it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, trailer