Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Happy Camper

After doing a bit of reading, I'm thinking that OSB might just be better than plywood for this application. I would think a 5/8" OSB board would be VERY strong.

More expensive doesn't always mean better for a particular application.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #12
Aging member

I agree that OSB can be strong. My experience with this wood is that it soaks up water much more quickly than plywood. So avoiding leaks is very important on this trailer. No wonder they have stickers all over the trailer to check all weather seals every 90 days.
If the seals are kept in good order, the trailer should hold up I think. For the roof I would much rather have plywood. But I have OSB and will just watch the seals closely. I still love the layout and decor of the trailer and am happy to have it.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
Happy Camper

There are different grades of OSB, too. Hopefully they used one that is relatively waterproof. I'm sure I'll never know. For now, it seems fine. I have said all along that it is a nice camper at a great price. The only question is how long it will hold up.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #14

There are indead different grades of OSB and the other thing about OSB is that it is DIRECTIONALY strong along the 8' side. In other words,it is designed to be loaded along the 8' length,and supporting frame work should be across the 4' end.Just drive around any construction site,look at the roof sheeting and you will see what I mean.Plywood is the same way but to a far lesser extent,mostly because the wood used is in long pieces instead of chips.For this same reason, plywood will exhibit probably a 5 to one better resistance to water absorbtion.
All the RV's that I have ever seen have the sheets oriented accross the frame as opposed to along the frame.This would suggest that the supporting floor joist SHOULD be closer,16",not 24" as is industry standard for RV's.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Aging member

This is good information on OSB strength

I have seen OSB after it had been wet for a minimal amount of time...but enough to absorb the water. The board swelled, separated and never lost its swelling...it stayed bloated even when dry. So this is why I was so concerned...now I find that the general strength is poor too. What I wonder is why every rv and travel trailer does not come with a build sheet with all of the building specs. It should be law. We need to know what it is that we are spending our money on. But sometimes that information is more like hearsay than a build sheet. Thanks for continuing the thread.

Tags
salem