Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Aging member

Salem Cruise Lite build materials

Hello, I am new to the Forum and new to Forest River, though we have had camping and travel trailers for 35 years or so. After an exhaustive search online for particulars on what materials are used in the building of Cruise Lite Western version trailers, I have found nothing. Does anyone know where I could get this information? I also wrote to the factory, with no answer. I want to know what the floor and ceiling are made from, hopefully plywood and not pressed wood. How thick is the material? And what is the wall framed from, material and size? I know that the Cruise Lite is considered a mid-level entry trailer so it won't be built like a Northwood trailer, but we all should know what materials have gone into the making of our sizeable investment.

I hope someone has the answers for me. Thanks in advance.
2017 Salem 241qbxl towed with a Silverado 1500 Heavy Half Ton
E.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a good place to get your questions answered and share your experience. regrettably I cannot provide the answers to your questions
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Salem is an entry-level line with standard stick and tin construction.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Explore

Welcome to forum.

Robby Olson is a Salem Cruise Lite West factory rep who may be able to answer your questions or refer you to the right person who can. Robby's contact information is below: (Good Luck)

Robby Olson
Service/Parts Manager
Forest River Manufacturing, LLC #19
255 South Pepper Ave
Rialto, CA 92376
909-873-3777 - ext 52
rolson@forestriverinc.com

Camp4two
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Aging member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Salem is an entry-level line with standard stick and tin construction.
Yes, true; but there are different sticks, some much better than others. But thanks for your input!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Aging member

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Welcome to forum.

Robby Olson is a Salem Cruise Lite West factory rep who may be able to answer your questions or refer you to the right person who can. Robby's contact information is below: (Good Luck)

Robby Olson
Service/Parts Manager
Forest River Manufacturing, LLC #19
255 South Pepper Ave
Rialto, CA 92376
909-873-3777 - ext 52
rolson@forestriverinc.com

Camp4two
This is very good and if you do not think he would mind, I will email him for sure. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Happy Camper

The brochure says "5/8” Tongue and Groove Plywood Floor Decking". Have you looked at the info on the Forest River site?
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Aging member

2017 Western version brochure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
The brochure says "5/8” Tongue and Groove Plywood Floor Decking". Have you looked at the info on the Forest River site?
It is strange, but the 2017 brochure out of California does not include the statement about the tongue and groove plywood, or self adjusting brakes or even full walk on roof. With the new brochure there is almost nothing about the build. Is this because they changed the Western version of the trailer, or because they made a brochure which focused on external features? I did look on Forest Rivers web site...and even tried the Contact Us feature there, with as yet, no reply. Maybe I will make a drive to Hemet, California where they make the Western version of the trailer and go on a tour of the factory. They have a Frog gathering there in May of each year since opening in 2015 and a tour of the new factory is part of the itinerary. They have been building this trailer at a closed down Skyline factory site and given much needed employment to former Skyline workers...so I am very happy with Forest River for doing this. Their main offices are in Rialto, CA for the Western version.

Thanks so much for your input.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
Happy Camper

Yes, I have no idea of "East" vs "West" versions, but I think you can walk on just about any roof. I'm sure that some are more sturdy than others. Just in case, I get my wife to go up there. She weighs half of my weight. YMMV.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
Aging member

Heard from Forest River

There have been changes to the construction of the Cruise Lite, at least the Western version. Yes...the older brochure reports plywood floors and etc. But I have heard from Forest River. Here are the current facts of construction per my inquiry:
The floor is 5/8 OSB board – not plywood. The floor frame is 2”x2” pine framed
The wall studs are 2”x 2’” pine wood. We have 2”x 3” in some areas over large openings
Roof has pre-manufacture 2”x 2” trusses – parameter is 2” x 2” pine.
Top sheeting under roof material is 3/8” OSB board.
Ceiling and interior wall panels are 5/32” luan panels with vinyl covering.

So I guess this thread can be closed. Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
Happy Camper

After doing a bit of reading, I'm thinking that OSB might just be better than plywood for this application. I would think a 5/8" OSB board would be VERY strong.

More expensive doesn't always mean better for a particular application.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
Aging member

I agree that OSB can be strong. My experience with this wood is that it soaks up water much more quickly than plywood. So avoiding leaks is very important on this trailer. No wonder they have stickers all over the trailer to check all weather seals every 90 days.
If the seals are kept in good order, the trailer should hold up I think. For the roof I would much rather have plywood. But I have OSB and will just watch the seals closely. I still love the layout and decor of the trailer and am happy to have it.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
Happy Camper

There are different grades of OSB, too. Hopefully they used one that is relatively waterproof. I'm sure I'll never know. For now, it seems fine. I have said all along that it is a nice camper at a great price. The only question is how long it will hold up.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

There are indead different grades of OSB and the other thing about OSB is that it is DIRECTIONALY strong along the 8' side. In other words,it is designed to be loaded along the 8' length,and supporting frame work should be across the 4' end.Just drive around any construction site,look at the roof sheeting and you will see what I mean.Plywood is the same way but to a far lesser extent,mostly because the wood used is in long pieces instead of chips.For this same reason, plywood will exhibit probably a 5 to one better resistance to water absorbtion.
All the RV's that I have ever seen have the sheets oriented accross the frame as opposed to along the frame.This would suggest that the supporting floor joist SHOULD be closer,16",not 24" as is industry standard for RV's.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
Aging member

This is good information on OSB strength

I have seen OSB after it had been wet for a minimal amount of time...but enough to absorb the water. The board swelled, separated and never lost its swelling...it stayed bloated even when dry. So this is why I was so concerned...now I find that the general strength is poor too. What I wonder is why every rv and travel trailer does not come with a build sheet with all of the building specs. It should be law. We need to know what it is that we are spending our money on. But sometimes that information is more like hearsay than a build sheet. Thanks for continuing the thread.

Tags
salem