Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Salem Cruise Lite Disaster

We recently purchased a Cruise Lite 272QB. On our first trip we compiled a punch list consisting of 42 separate issues. Many were benign, but several were pretty significant, including what appeared to me to be significant issues with the axles and tires.

I know the Vail Sport tires have the nick name "China Bombs". Does anyone have any advise about getting FR to install a reliable tire? After 1,500 miles, it is obvious that all 4 tires are ruined. The inboard tread on all of them is gone.

As for the axles, I now have discovered (from this forum and others) that FR is pretty notorious for undersizing their axles. A few question that I have is first, is it possible to have ~4,500 lb axles retrofitted onto a camper that comes with 3,500 lb axles.

Assuming the answer to that is NO, then any advise about what to specifically ask FR Warranty Department to do so their axle design does not suck as much? I suspect that they will try to claim overloading of the trailer as the problem, which is bull, but that is what I expect.

Overall, the quality of the unit was a train wreck and certain design decisions on multiple systems leave me scratching my head. I am hoping that there is some way for them to actually replace the unit out right. (Yeah, y'all can stop laughing now, I suspect they are not big on doing such things). Short of that, any bright ideas on how to take a very marginal rig and getting FR to get it to a reasonably operational level.

Thanks for any advise.
phippap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

They will not replace the unit outright, that won't happen. You can contact them directly with your concerns. People have had wonderful experiences with them taking the unit and fixing everything at the factory.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks Toddupton. I hope to have a positive experience, as the unit is already at the factory. Been there for a week and waiting for at least a phone call to acknowledge they have received it. We shall see.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

They can put bigger axles on no problem. I had the same type of issue with my Salem burning up the inside inch of my first set of tires in 2 years. I should have tried warranty but didn't. I took the trailer to a semi trailer repair place and they looked at the axles. Although not particularly cheap... They were able to get them straightened out and said it was a common problem for campers to come from the factory out of alignment.
Kdz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #5

I talked to the factory today. It seems part of the problem is that the tires were bias tires. They are replacing them with radials. Still need to get the final read on the axles -- I am going to be very specific about them checking the alignment before they send it back.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

Our Salem 27RKSS had very similar tire problems. The guys in warrantee, after seeing pictures at 1500 and 2000 miles told us that "it was normal". At 8,000 miles we blew a wheel bearing so badly that the entire axle had to be replaced. Again, the Warrantee Dept. wasn't much help. They passed us to Lippert. Lippert told us that the warranty was void as we had had the wheel bearing serviced by our dealer and that the dealer was clearly was clearly responsible. I took pictures of all, made copies of all receipts and records and sent the package, as a certified letter, to Pet Leigel, the Pres. of FR. Five days later he called and conferenced in the head of the Salem Div. FR paid for all work that had been done including new tires.

However, the 3500 lb. axles were really too light. On a 12,000 trip to Alaska, we fried two wheel bearing/axle combinations and broke two springs, also too light. We replaced the springs with four new 2500 Lbs. and replaced both axles with Dexter 5200 Lbs., new larger axle shackles and heavier six bolt wheels to match the axles. at one point in the trip, we had one 5200 lb axle and one 3500 lber. Changing the second axle and the springs was done in Anchorage. The guys there did the work in four hours and had every part on hand. The only problem was waiting a week for the appointment. The under seized running gear is common to all manufacturers.

When all was done, the Anchorage Service Manager said, "You can haul a baby elephant now!". The trailer rides better and with heavier parts all around we have had zero problems since.

Take a look at the specifications on most trailers. The "cargo" weight is generally about the same as the stated "hitch weight". That translates to axles and springs don't have any room to absorb extra weight.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

After I had my issue I switched to radials also. Too early to really tell but there is way more rubber on the road that those bias tires. They were junk in my opinion
Kdz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

I might have got 1500 miles out of my first set of tires. They were the cheapest they could put on the trailer. Best just replace and go on.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

I suspect that I too may be having a conference call with Mr. Leigel before this is all done. We will see how they address all of the concerns.

Tags
salem