Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #1

Salem Grand Villa 42DL Review and Information

Hoping to create forum for people to review and discuss their 42DL experience. We just ordered and took delivery of a new 2019 42 DL. Options we added: Extreme Weather, Outdoor Shower, Power Awning, Fiberglass Siding, and Double Insulation. In addition, this is what I would call a 2019 version 2.0 because they just recently updated the 2019 to include many new upgrades. For example, the flooring is now a lighter color, there are USB outlets added to both lofts and the main bedroom areas, the kitchen backsplash is now a tile look, etc... I have attached the brochure for the updates to this model... which we personally think are great. Thankfully buying a car is not as confusing as a new RV as the information out there is all over the board. An example is trying to figure out the additional insulation options. We added both the extreme weather and double insulation options as this will keep things warm/cold and with the kids sleeping so close to the ceiling we wanted them comfortable also. So far we Love the design and so glad we waited until this design was created and updates were made. Hope to have years of memories with the family. Hope to hear your experiences and questions. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	184888Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	184889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	184890Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	184891Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	184892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	184893Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	184894Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	184895Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	184896
Love2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

You might want to add the WILDWOOD GRAND LODGE 42DL to your review as it is exactly the same trailer just different exterior colors and decals.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #3

Great Idea!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #4

42DL

Thanks for creating this.

We just took possession of a 2019 Salem 42DL. We are seasonal campers from March 1-October 31. I wanted to get one off-season so I could find any bugs that need fixing and have remedied prior to moving to our lot in early March.
We have it in storage, but I'm able to bring out the generator and power up to test everything.
So far, it seems to be in good shape.

Besides some of the minor cosmetic issues that I can fix myself. I do have a couple of problems not noticed during the inspection:

1) the bedroom A/C has an intermittent run issue. Sometimes, the blower fan will run and sometimes it will not. I've downloaded the coleman mach troubleshooting guide and will test the relays and voltages next time I'm out. (Of course, it ran fine at the dealer)
2) with slides pulled in, I can see daylight in the corners of the slides. Each slide has the dense closed foam corner piece, I think a rubber seal is turned but it is hard to get to some of those edges. Looking from beneath, I can't see any issues. I'm going to take a helper with me next trip to shine a light from above. (We didn't do a huge look at it with slides in at dealer, just cycled through sliding in and out a few times.)
3) the front dinette/theater seat wiper seals do not touch the side wall when extended. I'm not really sure what I can do here besides replacing the wiper seals. I can see the white padding that seals the enclosure. I'll get some photos next time I'm out if this doesn't make sense. (I missed this at dealer)

Other than this, some sawdust and mis-fired staples, the unit seems pretty solid. I've ran all appliances except the water heater multiple times. I did reapply vapor barrier on bottom gray/black tank piping as I could stick my hand into the openings into the insulation. I also shortened up the fresh water pex hose as both the water pump and coming out of the tank had kinks.

I plan to add a cover to the fantastic fan, and some spring-loaded cabinet door supports to hold the vertical cabinet doors open.

We got the power awning, the gel-coat and the extreme weather.
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #5

Screen Door for 42DL?

Hello! We are in the process of deciding to purchase a 2019 42DL (2.0) . When we walked through the unit, we didn't notice that there was a screen door for the patio door. Could anyone weigh in on that?

Also, any input on how you enjoy your 42DL after having it for a while would be appreciated! How does your unit look next to other 5th wheels and TTs? I'm afraid it's going to look obnoxiously large in our seasonal RV park, even though I love it! We saw our unit in an enclosed climate controlled building which made it look even larger.
Iowagirl2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

The screen for the sliding door is usually stored behind the sofa on the new models.

We have a 4092bfl both are about 42 ft in length only ours has a single loft. Where we go it fits right in with the other campers and motorhomes. Our does not stay on a permanent site. We like the 42DL very similar layout to ours other the the 2nd loft and lower ceilings for that reason.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #7

My screen door is under the bed mattress. I've heard others were located behind the couch.

As far as looks, it is kind of boxy, but no different than a Class A. At our seasonal campground, this may the only destination trailer, so I'm sure I'll get comments. My site is between one with a 40+ foot Class A and a ~32 foot travel trailer.

We are going to add a deck under the awning and trying to decide whether to extend in front of the slideout or not. I think that slide is about 42" deep.
Stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #8

I've had the trailer on the lot since March 1. We are currently spending spring break in the unit. Initial Observations in no particular order:

1) The kitchen table is way too small for 4 people.
2) The single loft is great area for storage, we moved the mattress to the front loft. Yes, one of the boys gets a double mattress but we haven't witness any jealousy.
3) Found a busted pipe under kitchen sink, glad we were doing a week long camp so soon or this could have been missed and a major problem. It was in the seams of the stab right past the trap and leaking behind the panel they mounted to hide the plumbing.
4) I'm not sure where the bedroom thermostat is measuring. It has been cold this spring break and we are using space heaters. The thermostat on the outside wall reads up to 10 degrees different than the space heater in the bedroom. ( For those wondering, electricity is included with the rent, LP is on our dime!! )
5) My Dish automatic satellite antennae is sensitive to long cable runs. If I use a 6 foot cable to the connector on back side of camper, the receiver has trouble finding the satellites. But if I use my regular 50 foot cable through a window, the receiver works fine. Need to look at this further.
6) I've found one nail pop up in the flooring, punched it down using a wood block covered with a towel, but expect it to pop back up.
7) Bought 8 spring loaded cabinet door supports for the vertical cabinet doors. I thought that was cheap of them not hold our doors open for us.
8) Haven't figured it out yet, but the master bed rearward side seems to lean to center of bed. The forward side seems to be level. Only looked at cursory, so not much more to submit.
9) Lot of sawdust in my heat vents, but mostly cleaned out now.
10) Central vac is cool! and works too!!
11) We miss our outdoor kitchen more than we thought we would. Lots of "stuff" that made sense to be out there but not "in here". Where does it go now??

I'll fill in more as I learn. We still love it.

As far as neighbors, they all want to tour it. So we are busy trying to keep it presentable. Everyone loves the floor plan and the large windows with their views.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the updates on your 42DL experience! I really appreciate hearing everything you’re encountering. Nice to hear you’re enjoying it! Please keep the updates coming. We’re on vacation now and when we get back next week, we’re going to be getting serious about choosing our 42DL. Anxious to hear how the cooling system works for you! Happy Camping!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Shower Drain Leaking

I've had my new unit for 1 month and the bathroom floor floods when water goes down the show drain. It's leaking from the 1 inch space between the shower and the vanity. It's not the waterline because if i put the showerhead in the sink, there is no leak. I'm having a hard time finding someone who will come onsite to look at it. I have tried to figure out how to access the plumbing under the shower, but I have no idea where that would be. Any advice would be appreciated, this is so aggravating. I am concerned what this water is doing to the floor and the guts of my camper.
chageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

If you have the three flat glass panel shower door there is an access panel on the front of the shower pan under the middle glass door.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

The sink and shower drain into a gray water tank directly beneath them. It could be the drain on shower. I would have to look at how to access, probably from beneath the trailer.

Or they may have missed caulking around the faucet or top of the shower stall.

I won't be back to my trailer for two weeks, but isn't there a riser from the floor to stepping in the shower? Are there any screws on that riser?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

I don't think the newer models have that access panel at front of pan.

I went to the 360 degree view on Forest River's website and verified.

Hopefully, this link works for you.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=aBXPDAFQ7jj
Old 08-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #14

42DL Reviews

We've had our 2019 42DL since April. We love it! The only problem we have is the air conditioners are not draining properly. The "gutters" are not sloping correctly and the water drips off the entrance side of the trailer. The dealership has been out to adjust once already but it's not working. Both air units are draining to the front, nothing to the rear. The trailer is completely level.

That problem aside, we have had no issues inside. We're loving the space and our daughter loves the loft. She's 14 and can easily sit up without hitting her head. I even crawl up there with our granddaughter for naps.

The 42DL was the best decision for our family in our seasonal camping adventure.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl2018 View Post
We've had our 2019 42DL since April. We love it! The only problem we have is the air conditioners are not draining properly. The "gutters" are not sloping correctly and the water drips off the entrance side of the trailer. The dealership has been out to adjust once already but it's not working. Both air units are draining to the front, nothing to the rear. The trailer is completely level.

That problem aside, we have had no issues inside. We're loving the space and our daughter loves the loft. She's 14 and can easily sit up without hitting her head. I even crawl up there with our granddaughter for naps.

The 42DL was the best decision for our family in our seasonal camping adventure.
That does not sound like a warranty issue as much as a set up of the trailer issue. Nice of your dealer to look at it.

Enjoy.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #16

Here is video of a guy reviewing the aluminum-side 42DL.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #17

Owner Update: I just brought to the attention of the production team that my 42DL microwave stove vent Does Not vent to the outside even though there is an exhaust vent outside. Surprisingly, the production floor has never caught this and now that I have brought it to their attention they are correcting the issue, free of charge. As I notified my dealership they are already in the process of correcting the stock units until they are corrected at the factory. Just passing along to everyone else as I assume yours does not vent outside properly either. WOW,,,
Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #18

Thanks for posting, I'll take a look when I get back out to my trailer next weekend.
What is involved in rectifying?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
Thanks for posting, I'll take a look when I get back out to my trailer next weekend.

What is involved in rectifying?

I am not 100% sure on the fix. It is my understanding that once the problem was confirmed, Forest River asked my dealership to fix the one on their lot to determine the solution and labor time needed to fix. Forest River then paid them to fix that one and then paid to fix mine also. If I am correct, the microwave vent from the factory is set to not externally vent. However, if it is to be vented outside a part must be removed, allowing it to vent externally. Obviously, if a buyer saw an external vent on a RV they would assume it would vent outside. It appears they forgot to remove and adjusted the microwave vent to actually vent to the outside... not sure if this will be a “recall” or if they will only repair the ones for people that complain. I believe all owners should be proactively notified. When you cook, especially on an RV, it creates moisture from frying. All owners know moisture is not desirable and would prefer it to be exhausted outside instead of building up inside.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #20

That is one thing that I never checked. I pulled the little flap when I got the trailer to my site, but never turned the fan on and verified flow out the vent.

My over the range microwave in my house is NOT vented outside, we use charcoal filters that are supposed to take all the nasty stuff out but it does blow back air into the living space.

I do not remember feeling any air blowing back into the trailer space when I've turned on the fan at the trailer. But I do know that there is no ducting in the cabinet above the microwave. I assumed they had the duct in the framework.

I'm curious how you found this out, because I totally missed it. Probably first thing I'm going to do next Saturday is pull that outdoor vent and see if anything is connected, well maybe first thing after turning on the fan and seeing where the air is going!

Tags
salem