Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Posts: 69
Salem Hemisphere 282 RK Tire Pressure

I see a lot of comments on-line regarding the proper tire pressure for my trailer. The inside spec sheet lists 65 PSI as does the Westlake tire side wall for full load. The 2014 282RK arrived with 55 PSI of nitrogen & I have not changed the pressure. Many posts recommend 55 PSI that more may blow out the sidewalls.
I do get some swaying while towing (no sway controller) & am considering adding AIR to bring the pressure to 65 lbs.
Have any Salem Hemi owners experimented with this?
__________________

__________________
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Happy Camper
 
Tonylmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 124
The BEST thing for a tire carrying a heavy load or running at high speed (or both) is to inflate the tire to maximum air pressure. Lower air pressure allows for more flexing of the sidewall, which generates heat and can destroy a tire. Inflate your tires to 65 psig cold immediately and keep them there, if that is what the sidewall says.

I used to be a Tire Construction Engineer for Dunlop.
__________________

__________________
2015 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
Towed with 2015 Chevy Silverado
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
The BEST thing for a tire carrying a heavy load or running at high speed (or both) is to inflate the tire to maximum air pressure. Lower air pressure allows for more flexing of the sidewall, which generates heat and can destroy a tire. Inflate your tires to 65 psig cold immediately and keep them there, if that is what the sidewall says.
This^^^ In addition do not exceed the speed rating which has typically been 65 mph for an ST tire. Some are now rated to 80 mph, but there is no reason to tow that fast IMHO.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Posts: 69
Thanks for your real expertise on this matter. I would appreciate your opinion on bumping the tire pressure to 65 PSI by adding air vs nitrogen as the tires are currently inflated with.
__________________
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrieri View Post
Thanks for your real expertise on this matter. I would appreciate your opinion on bumping the tire pressure to 65 PSI by adding air vs nitrogen as the tires are currently inflated with.
Air is about 78% nitrogen, so I wouldn't worry about using air to bring the pressures up. In fact, I have raced cars for years, and we even quit using nitrogen. The thought is that pure nitrogen expands less with heat compared to air, therefore keeping tire pressures, and subsequently the circumference of the tire, from growing when heated. Others will claim, somewhat justifiably, that pure nitrogen in tires reduces oxidation on the inner wheel. The 282RK has aluminum rims so no advantage there. Finally, some of the oxygen in regular air will permeate the rubber over time causing a slight loss of pressure. We should be checking pressures often so no advantage for nitrogen there either.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Happy Camper
 
Tonylmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Air is about 78% nitrogen, so I wouldn't worry about using air to bring the pressures up. In fact, I have raced cars for years, and we even quit using nitrogen. The thought is that pure nitrogen expands less with heat compared to air, therefore keeping tire pressures, and subsequently the circumference of the tire, from growing when heated. Others will claim, somewhat justifiably, that pure nitrogen in tires reduces oxidation on the inner wheel. The 282RK has aluminum rims so no advantage there. Finally, some of the oxygen in regular air will permeate the rubber over time causing a slight loss of pressure. We should be checking pressures often so no advantage for nitrogen there either.
I concur. Nitrogen is a gimmick if you are pulling a camper. Maybe there is a very slight advantage if you are racing, but pulling a camper it is negligible.
__________________

__________________
2015 Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL
Towed with 2015 Chevy Silverado
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, salem, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.