Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #11

Salem Hemisphere 282RK

Mine is a 2015. If they haven't changed anything on the axles it is
13 3/4 center to center of tires.

I believe you will need the extended version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2A...yaL&ref=plSrch

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

Tim, do you mean 13 inches from inside tire to inside tire?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire057 View Post
I have ordered a 282rk and am looking forward to getting it.
To stabilize it further, I would like to buy an X chock. Has anyone used one of these? Also, can anyone tell me what the distance is between the tandem wheels on your 282rk?
Yes, we have them, and they work great. 17" I believe so you need to get the extended ones. Got ours from Amazon , extended Fit from BAL. model # 28014.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #14

Salem Hemisphere 282RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire057 View Post
Tim, do you mean 13 inches from inside tire to inside tire?

Yeah. Sorry I didn't explain it better. And center of the tread pattern also. Just like where the chocks wedge to each tire.
Here is the companies site. Watch the video.
http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...s/chocks.shtml

Like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442962627.183192.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	89612

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We've been in our 282RK for 2 seasons now. We're seasonal and I use it when I am at my off site office. So I usually spend 2 1/2 - 3 weeks a month for 5 - 6 months in it.
We really like this layout, just the 2 of us, it is a solid trailer. I do whish there was a slide in the bedroom as getting dressed for work every morning needs a little more floor space.
No major issues and very few minor ones.
Yes the pantry door doesn't open to a full 90 degrees. Some folks think that's a deal breaker or a major issue. Try it and see if you can live with it. We certainly can.
The other issue with the pantry doors is sometimes they will pop open in transit. Always crawl in and make sure they are closed before extending the slide -- door replacements have been known to be required if they are open.

Like all TTs, they will have some bounce when you're walking around in them. The stabilizer jacks are just that -- stabilizers, they are not designed to bear the weight of the trailer to level or prevent significant movement. For added rigidity, add a scissors or bottle jack on each side in the middle.

I would buy and recommend this TT to anyone. I also have not (perhaps I am in the less than 1%) had anything but help, support, and good relations with both my dealer (Avalon, Medina, OH) and Forest River themselves.

We have have experienced the same thing except no support from our dealer in north Ala. I should have checked with reviews on dealers if there were any. Do this before you buy. They damaged my rear tail light and would not do anything about it. The dealership was near Dodge City Ala.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #16

Hello
We just ordered a 282rb at the Hershey show, this forum was helpful in making our decision and I would like to thank all who post here. I am kicking around cover vs keeping the unit well waxed. I will buy solar covers for the tires. Thanks in advance for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #17

Answer to the rear kitchen question: TTs bounce and the place that gets the most bounce seems to be the rear. Mine's an RK type and we have had some problems... but we caused them. You don't want to leave a bottle of dish soap in the sink, because if you hit a rough spot, you may crack it... unless it's a stainless steel sink. I had to replace mine, but it's now stainless and not plastic. Packing in the cabinets can be dicey, but it's not that bad. Just don't take a bunch of breakable stuff. I bubble wrap a few things, but for the most part, stuff stays where it is put. I don't load the fridge with cold drinks until we get to our spot. Mostly it's just common sense and if you keep the first statement in mind, about the bouncy part, you'll be fine with a rear kitchen. That being said, my next one will have the kitchen in the middle. Have fun.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #18

We love our 2014! No issues and perfect for two people.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
We have have experienced the same thing except no support from our dealer in north Ala. I should have checked with reviews on dealers if there were any. Do this before you buy. They damaged my rear tail light and would not do anything about it. The dealership was near Dodge City Ala.
The dealer in Huntsville has done a pretty good job for us. Not very fast, but they got it done.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 PM   #20

Have a 2015 282rk which took across Canada and northern US this summer. 5 week trip at close to 5000km return pulling with a F150 1/2 ton. Layout is great and main reason we bought. No huge problem with the rear kitchen, as long as dishes were stowed with packing and holders. Items do move on the rougher interstates and highways, but not huge problem. Need to be sure you always check cabinet door beside fridge is closed before extending slide.

Main issue experienced was sway when in windy conditions as 35' length acts like a big sail and is "rear heavy" with rear kitchen + spare on bumper and outside kitchen. Added Reese dual cam sway control which helped a lot, but recommend stay at 50-55mph in wind. Also recommend adding a battery disconnect switch, as we had the battery drain when in storage from tablet, antenna and carbon monoxide detector. Several fender extender brackets broke from rough roads, but fixed by our dealer in Calgary.
Note as not obvious...Hot water tank bypass is accessed by removing drawer in bedroom chest of drawers. To winterize, water pump is accessed from under the kitchen sink (bit of a pain, but is accessable).

Would prefer the power and cable TV connections were in the middle of the trailer instead of at rear. Would also prefer a single grey and black water connection to simplify dumping, but is common on 35'trailer.

All in all ...a well built trailer and we are happy with it.
Hope the above comments are of help. Happy travels!!

Tags
salem