Old 09-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Salem Hemisphere 282RK

This past weekend while doing a deeper look over some Flagstaffs at the dealer my DW noticed a 282RK. After she went through this unit it seems that now the top of the heap has changed.

Is there anyone who would like to share impressions, recommendations for a Hemisphere 282RK? Would you purchase again?

Secondly I have read a number of posts that complain about the Rear Kitchen, but nothing concrete as to what the real issue is. If it is just simply a matter of proper storage and taking precautions to ensure cabinets remain closed and adequate storage aids to ensure things don't get jumbled up that is not a deal breaker. But on the other hand if it is an almost herculean task to keep things in the cabinets and somewhat reasonably arranged then that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

No I would not purchase a fr trailer
No support at all
Top pantry door does not open all the way. Our first two campers were StarCraft. Wish we would have stuck to that brand or jayco

Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd absolutely buy a fr product again.

Matter of fact I am!
Looking @ my third fr unit.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks TURBS. mguymon why do you say no support at all?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #5

The dealer did not care and fr said to live with it
Old 09-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And on the flip side I had an issue fixed out of warranty, no questions asked "free"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

mguymon,

If I read you correctly the main issue is a door on the pantry that will not fully open. If it is the same issue I saw it only opens about 85 degrees not a full 90 or more. Although I understand your frustration at an issue you were not able to resolve to your satisfaction if that is the only issue with a TT over 30 feet long with many moving parts, components and sub assemblies I would declare for me that would not be a reason to hold off purchase.

I am of the opinion that we can live with the 85 degree open and just reach in and get what we want.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We've been in our 282RK for 2 seasons now. We're seasonal and I use it when I am at my off site office. So I usually spend 2 1/2 - 3 weeks a month for 5 - 6 months in it.
We really like this layout, just the 2 of us, it is a solid trailer. I do whish there was a slide in the bedroom as getting dressed for work every morning needs a little more floor space.
No major issues and very few minor ones.
Yes the pantry door doesn't open to a full 90 degrees. Some folks think that's a deal breaker or a major issue. Try it and see if you can live with it. We certainly can.
The other issue with the pantry doors is sometimes they will pop open in transit. Always crawl in and make sure they are closed before extending the slide -- door replacements have been known to be required if they are open.

Like all TTs, they will have some bounce when you're walking around in them. The stabilizer jacks are just that -- stabilizers, they are not designed to bear the weight of the trailer to level or prevent significant movement. For added rigidity, add a scissors or bottle jack on each side in the middle.

I would buy and recommend this TT to anyone. I also have not (perhaps I am in the less than 1%) had anything but help, support, and good relations with both my dealer (Avalon, Medina, OH) and Forest River themselves.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Smile

We have had our 282RK since Dec 2013 and love it. No problems with the rear kitchen. Everything in the cabinets stay in place and the cabinet doors stay closed while traveling. The two stacked pantries gives us plenty of storage for food and cooking pots/pans. With the slide in, it covers the pantries and fridge doors. This would prevent the fridge door to open while traveling and spilling everything out of it onto the floor. Have to be cautious and make sure the pantry doors are closed when letting out the slide or else they will get ripped off the pantry. Have not experienced this but it is a possibility. The kitchen has the most counter space of all the tt's that we looked at. Ours has stacked linen cabinets in the bathroom that most other tt's did not have. FR is a great product and I would buy another one.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

I have ordered a 282rk and am looking forward to getting it.
To stabilize it further, I would like to buy an X chock. Has anyone used one of these? Also, can anyone tell me what the distance is between the tandem wheels on your 282rk?

Tags
salem