Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Salem Hemisphere 282RK new owner

Hello all, not only are we new Hemisphere 282RK owners (on order, not delivered yet) we are also newbies to RVing. Having spent almost 40 years as serious backpackers and tent campers, our 60+ year old bones just cant sleep on the ground any longer! I would love to hear from other 282RK owners, or Hemisphere owners on the pluses and minuses on this model or line of travel trailers. We plan on both long term campground use as well as moving around on vacations. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Mark & Vicki

Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Hemisphere 282RK. Hope you enjoy all the amenities it has to offer. You're going to love being up off the ground .

Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Welcome from Michigan. I think you'll love the line and yes it's a big change from back packing. We love our 286RLT 5er.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum.

Jim and I have a 2013 Salem Hemisphere Lite 286RLT. We love it. Only major problem we had was the toilet. It was defective and Dometic replaced as soon as I brought it to their attention and there was a leak by the Super Flush but that was an easy fix. Jim had to tighten all of the clamps and fittings.

We upgrade from a 24' TT we loved the interior space but the underbelly storage was not so good. So needless to say we bought a 5th wheel off of the showroom floor and have not looked bad.

Have Fun Camping,
Marigold
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

We just took our 2014 282rk out on its first trip last weekend. Good luck
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #6

Hello from Newfoundland. We look delivery of our Hemisphere 282RK last Aug. Great trailer, very satisfied. I suggest you remove the bottom panel under the bathroom sink. We found one of the flex water lines to the exterior shower was kinked. It is to be replaced this Spring.
Filling the fresh water tank without a pressure hose is different. There is no open spout to add water from a plastic can. I had to made a fitting for my water can so a hose can be attached & run to the filler fitting. I have to then elevate the water can to get some gravity pressure so the can will drain into the trailer through the hose.
Have a great camping season.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

I have the same trailer, there is one big problem, the pantry doors next to the frig. when the slide is in & you pull into the campground there is no way you can check the pantry doors to see if they are closed, if they are open & you open the slide you will tear off the door or the slide trim, you have to check to make sure the door is closed on the entertainment ctr. I placed a bungee cord from top to bottom in case the door pops open

Rich
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #8

I'm new here, but not new to camping with a TT. We currently ( since last August ) have the 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK, and love it. Love the floor plan, but also don't like the fresh water fill situation. Also don't like that this unit doesn't have an on-board water filter system like the Flagstaff units had. The only thing that has needed to be replaced is the seals top and bottom of the shower door. They were plastic and broke the first time out with the trailer. Minor issue, and over all we Love this unit.

Gary.

2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK
2015 2500HD Silverado LTZ 4WD
GreenZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Thanks rich1902. I forget the mention the biggest issue that you said of the pantry door opening while towing. I unfortunately had this happen so when I opened the slide "CRACK" there goes the lower pantry door. The doors do not close securely enough. I will add addition magnetic closers for the new door. I will consider your great idea of the bungee cords.
Following this incident, I now always climb over the table to check the pantry doors before opening the slide.
It is unfortunate that we have to rig our owner fixes for a lovely trailer.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZR View Post
I'm new here, but not new to camping with a TT. We currently ( since last August ) have the 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK, and love it. Love the floor plan, but also don't like the fresh water fill situation. Also don't like that this unit doesn't have an on-board water filter system like the Flagstaff units had. The only thing that has needed to be replaced is the seals top and bottom of the shower door. They were plastic and broke the first time out with the trailer. Minor issue, and over all we Love this unit.

Gary.

Could you expand on what you don't like about the fill situation?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem