Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

salem hemisphere 356qbq

We bought our new fifth wheel in April and quickly found out two air conditioners wouldnt keep our fifth wheel cool so we had a third one installed in the back bedroom for the price of $2,000!! Does a great job now as we usually just dump all three ac's and dont use the ductwork much. My question is does anyone else own this unit and r u having trouble keeping it cool with just two ac's? Was just wondering if maybe some of our ductwork was loose or not connected and we are loosing air above the ceiling. Before we got our third ac if it was above 85 degrees and the sun was on us it was hot inside.
RV maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #2

Did you ever find out why you need three air conditioners. Where do you camp? I am buy one and they say one is fine in Wisconsin.
Fifth Wheel Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheel Joy View Post
Did you ever find out why you need three air conditioners. Where do you camp? I am buy one and they say one is fine in Wisconsin.

I only have the one AC unit, works fine in Ohio. We have had it out in the 80-90's and no issues. Heat works really good too, some may never need that though. If I were in the southern USA, is spring for at minimum 2.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

What else can you tell about the 356 qbq. What problems did you have with it We are very excited about getting it.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

I only had a few minor complaints. If you look in the Wildwood section in this forum you can find the 356qbq threads. The Dometic 300 toilets were replaced within the first week due to one of them failing and holding water. Replaced with no issue from Dometic and upgraded to the 310 model (both bathrooms) and no problems since. The front sewer handles were backwards, labeled right on exterior but handles were mixed up, found out quickly, lol. Dealer fixed that. The only other issue mine had was the left taillight was screwy. Turns out someone forced the bulb in backwards and was drawing weird current and dimming all lights when brakes applied. I bought and replaced the whole housing with LED because I wanted them. So that was fixed. Other than that, if highly suggest using BAL lock-arms or JT strong arms to reduce front sway when landing gear is down. I use the BAL and what a difference in the reduction of movement while setup. It's a great trailer, purchased mine in 6/2013. We have 2 kids, 3/6 year old. They love the bedrooms and the separate bath is really nice. Plenty of space with the opposing slides. We had several trips last summer with 8 people, 4 kids and 4 adults total and wasn't bad at all. Kids are already itching to go this year if winter decides to stop. Just do a thorough PDI, check on those minor issues before you take it home. Every HG 356qbq I've found had the same except the taillight issue. Enjoy the new 5er. Sorry this was a long post.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

The upgrades I've done have been: roof vent covers, some LED lighting, Bauer keyless door locks on both doors. XM satellite radio. Some other minor odds and ends.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Since we got the third ac we've been very pleased with how cool the camper stays. We camp in Oklahoma and it can b in the low 100's and it still does a good job but we r dumping all three and not using the duct work. Would like to have the dealer check my ducts so see if one is loose, maybe thats why not much air comes thru the vents.
On our first trip out one of the hot water lines came off of the fitting and water leaked everywhere but luckily it was in the pass thru storage area. When the put the hose clamp on they didnt put it far enough on the fitting. One of the outdoor speakers didnt work when we got it. Right now the main control panel wont work to operate the slides or awning. Everyone says its a blown fuse but I cant find it. Still works with the remote though. Weve had a few problems like that and at first it was frustrating but we have really enjoyed the camper so far. Cant wait for spring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RV maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Chewie do you have pictures of your locks on your doors that you can show me. Plus I ask my dealer about the toilets and they never heard about it. Can I tell them to replace them. Please let me know.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

I will try to get a pic today, another snow storm right now. Most dealers probably didn't know about the toilets as most owners contacted Dometic themselves and Dometic had shipped right to the owner, I did this and installed mine. Took maybe 10 minutes per toilet. Easier than hauling back to the dealer 45 min away. There is a huge sticky thread in plumbing in regards to the Dometic 300, there is also supposed to be an updated model. Not sure. An upgrade to the porcelain is definitely worth it over the entire plastic toilets.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #10

Are fifth is been built and will be ready at the dealer in April first week may I wonder if I call the rep he can make sure the toilets are the right one before it comes to us. What do you think?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #11

if nothing else, id make sure they are a 310 or 320 model Dometic. Dometic is well aware of these issues with the model 300, very good customer service. If the dealer wont upgrade, at least if you have an issue with odor, Dometic will take care of you promptly.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #12

I also see in your threads that you have the pictures of the remote that controls lights, and slides what else does that control? Do you use it a lot because we ate getting that as well it came with the show specials .
Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #13

Yes the Linc wireless is nice. The screen can be touchy, but it sure makes you lazy. Lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393792002.094949.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	47067

You can change some of the settings, mine controls: awning, exterior lighting, landing gear, all slides. Just make sure if you use the slides on remote all interior doors are shut. Otherwise it could rip them off. I like using it to assure clearance on slide while extending. I use it a lot when hitching and unhitching to set the height just right. Here are the other pics of the Bauer EM handle and keyless entry. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393792194.876605.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	47068Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393792214.897012.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	47069
Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #14

So that remote control controls the leveling jacks too?. I have a lot to learn with this fifth compare to our keystone Springdale
Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #15

Yes It will scroll through I think 2 screens and you can set some different features depending on options installed.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #16

I am sorry to ask so many question but what was the cost of the door lock?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #17

No problem with questions. I got the one from the cleveland rv show on special for $149. They were around $50 off. I originally bought one, but then both doors would be keyed differently and when I picked it the lock up from the dealer, they honored the show price so both doors are keyed alike. Factory door locks were not the same brand and the deadbolt and latch were different keys. The Bauer uses the same key for both latch and deadbolt.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #18
Texas Proud

My 327res is having the same ac issue. The ducts are leaking internally in ceiling. I pulled the puck lights and can feel cold air coming out of hole. Dealer doesn't know how to fix.

2014 Salem 327RES
2015 Ford F250 Platinum
2013 nights camped (43)
2014 nights camped (26)
2015 nights camped (02)
boggesss is offline   Reply With Quote