Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Salem Hemisphere

We are just starting our search for an Rv.We intend to live in full time.How is the quality of the Hemisphere and any pointers on what to look for?We are looking at travel trailer and fifth wheel.
Thks!
Kmdjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

We just took possession of our Hemisphere travel trailer the first of April. So far so good. We like the quality of it and the finishes. The curved shower is roomy and we like the doors that slide open from the middle, rather than the neo angle showers we saw in other units. We have the 263RL, which gives us two recliners, a couch, and dining table and chairs. There is a laundry hatch in the bedroom and the storage seems pretty good. Of course, we are nowhere near full timers, so that is not a big issue at this time for us. Get out there and look at them to see what you think. The recliners are the same as those found in the Vibe and we had the factory rep order them for us. We also like the bathroom in between the living and bedroom areas because it provides more privacy when you get up and go to bed at different times. With both doors closed I cannot hear the TV. I would get a better mattress for full timing.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Rodney & Patty

Lots of traveling and doing it full time, I can't think of a travel trailer large enough or with enough storage space to keep you comfortable long term. The 5er we have is plenty large and comfortable for full timing, that's what we are preparing for too. Underbelly storage space is still limited however. The huge pass through is great but requires forethought and organization to hold the road life necessities. The tow vehicle is as much a concern as the trailer . Personally I can't image not having a well equipped 1 ton diesel to tow my wares wherever I want to go. Make a list of must haves and don't comprise or you will want to change up too soon. Good luck.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.I am leaning more to the 5er from what I'm reading about towing and control.What model do you have if you don't mind my asking?
Kmdjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Rodney & Patty

Ours is a 15 salem hemisphere 337bar. We haven had it long but really like it already.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
Tyler & Connie Foxx

We have the Salem Hemisphere light BH300, bunkhouse, 37 1/2 foot Travel Trailer. We love it! It's large, roomy, well appointed interior, makes it very comfortable to live in full time. The only problem we have had so far is that the furnace does a poor job of keeping the interior warm in weather as cool as 40 degrees, and we have an on demand hot water heater, and after many adjustments be the dealer, still only gets the water warm but never hot! Huge disappointment!!!
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenslow View Post
Ours is a 15 salem hemisphere 337bar. We haven had it long but really like it already.
Just purchased a 337 BAR this last Friday> We love it.
rfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have the hemi 282RK and love it. The Hemi is the top of the salem line, but it doesn't compare, fit and finish wise, to say a Cedar Creek. The hardware is not residential cabinet quality, etc., but we are satisfied with ours. No real problems. I think it is good $$$ value and you won't be dissatisfied.

If you intend to full time it, know that the Hemi, or for that matter most all FR products are not 4 season units. They claim to have heated underbellies however that means the furnace duct runs through the same space as the water lines. The Hemispheres do not have heated tank pads, valves, or as good insulation as other units. They are very good 3 season units, but not 4.
If you're looking at 4 season units, I would suggest Redwoods, Cardinals, Rushmores, Alpine, or Grand Design to name a few which would be better 4 season units. However $$$ goes up exponentially.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

We love our Salem Hemisphere 337 BAR
rfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #10
Tyler & Connie Foxx

Follow up to our heat and hot water issues: the dealer fixed the heater and we resolved the hot water issue with a new shower head. Less restriction on water flow cleared up the hot water issue. Takes a few minutes to cycle from the tankless heater to the shower, but it works fine now. 🚿😄
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #11

I am a little hesitant to post any negatives--have had our Hemisphere 272 RLIS for 3 months. We do love the trailer and it's very nice. However.......there has been a substantial creaking noise when walking above the steps (area outside our bathroom and small "hall" to enter bedroom which the steps are under--- while in coach. It subsides once walked over about 5 times......but as soon as one enters/exits coach on stairs it "resets" the creak again. Dealer says steps are fastened tightly. The stove/oven was installed with the left side about 1/4 inch lower than the right which is problematic when closing the glass cover---it won't sit flush. Dealer says doesn't know if a fix for it......there has been some lino lifting/waving in a 2X2 area around a floor vent. On the 2016 model a fireplace mantel with a sharp corner was installed. If you open the fridge door too far it will make contact with the sharp point and dent your fridge---we've avoided so far but I fear it's bound to happen. Also had booth table--when set up- make contact with island when slides in.......it chipped a bit of the wood finish and required some touch up color pen action. So factory installed the pole holders under the table about an inch out of place.
happycamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

Sorry you have probs with your Hemi. We have a 2014 Hemi 346QBUD; love it. Only prob we had was emptying tanks. The valve sometimes doesn't close completely. Still trying to figure if it's DH or the valve. Hope you get your probs solved quickly with little expense to you. Safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Ahhhh- it's the Salem Ghost!
What you're hearing is "normal" as even with stabilizer jacks, the weight of the trailer is borne by the axles and springs. You're hearing them creak as weight is transferred by walking. Our Hemi 282 has the same ghost!
There are 2 things which will help.
1. Cross chock the wheels to prevent front to back movement,
2. Scissor or bottle jacks under the frame just in front of thw wheels. We did both and now our hemi is solid as a rock. We put one jack under the frame just in front of the side door and another just in front of the slide on the opposite side. Bingo! No more wobble, creaks or groans (except from me when I get up in the morning!)
Hope this helps you out .
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #14

We bought a 232IS (a shorty, 26') but for two people and coming from Hi-Lo seems like the Taj Mahal right now. Unfortunately have yet to get out in it between rain and heat!
Plan is a next week-end shakedown and then a bit later, a week in CO. Have had water hooked up and done about everything except sleep in it. But seem fairly impressed so far.
Had an issue with the outside shower that we had installed by the dealer ("oh, we've installed thousands of them") not a FR thing. Not use to this kind of fridge, had a 3-way in the Hi-Lo. But we're hoping, thinking it'll all work out and it will be a good RV.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

Recommend you purchase an extended warranty and insist the repairs are made. We've owned our 272 for 18 months and have a list of major things going bad and the dealer service dept is telling us tough luck.
Steve Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #16

We just picked up our new 286RLT Hemisphere 5th wheel. Loving it so far - one camping trip to the lake for a few days. The fit & finish is very nice, good counter space and cabinets in the kitchen, and we love the angled entertainment center in front of the dining table & chairs.
Made one mod on the bathroom door - changed it from opening toward the living area to opening toward the bedroom. Works better that way. Check the bed - they come with a king size mattress, but ours had a queen size base. Waiting on the dealer to fix that, and a few other things.
Good luck hunting!
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #17

So how did you like having the Hi-Lo? We looked and looked at them, but never took the plunge. Figured we would be happier with the standard RV trailer.
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #18

If you can get into where your heater is notice the duct is glorified dryer vent with no insulation you could possibly get quality flex duct that's insulated and pull it thru if you take your vents out up into the camper the only insulation in your floor is 2 inch foam wedged between half inch plywood..... that black underbelly wrap is to hide the fact that the floor has limited insulation there would be nothing in your way to pull that duct through to the new location..i may explore under mine later to see if its posible to add rigid foam panels that would be a benefit... not sure if it would be but I can't bring myself to put a batt type insulation under there. If you have an outside kitchen just look beside the drain area that two inch thick wrapped black square is the floor system flat on the frame. Also all the water lines lay on to the black plastic under belly so they also are not in the insulation area....I tore mine all apart to see this that's why I can offer this information. Hope this helps maybe if you insulate a few things it will get a lot warmer.
RaystownRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Number one thing to consider: bathroom size. Go into bathroom, sit on toilet to feel the room. Stand in shower, to experience the space.
We bought a 2011 Salem Hemisphere new and were so impressed with the living area with picture window that barely checked out bathroom. Going to remodel it next spring. Our black water tank is so shallow that we have chronic dumping problems, also. Might want to research that also.
GOOFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #20

We liked the Hi-Lo, even though it was 25', (our Salem is 26') seemed tight at times. Ok for week-ends or a week, but wanted something with a "bedroom". We were out for 2 weeks once and decided we were going to need a little more room if we were going to continue to do this. It was well put together (has to be with the up/down mechanics) and maybe more of a custom made feel (didn't mfg. as many) than our forest river product. But of course it towed great and that's when I really miss it!

Tags
salem