Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

Salem travel trailer ladder

We were wondering if we could have a ladder attached to the back of out TT like you see on 5ers. We have a 27rkss Salem travel trailer. We want to use the ladder to access the roof. Dealer said it was possible, camping world says no. Any factory reps that can help? Oh btw we own a 2014-2015 model. Bought last September. Thanks for any help.
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Possible as long as manufacturer put blocking in the rear. Will have to get blueprint of back wall from FR. Dealer can get this for you
dolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

That's a composite wall Salem right? There's a good chance you might not be able to add a ladder. FR figured out taking a step back and doing a "hung" rear wall was a better design idea. So a lot of composite models have pressure laminated side walls, but a hung rear and that seems to have started in later production 2014 Salem and Wildwoods. Conversely, if a model had an option for factory ladder and ordered with the ladder, it was built with a laminated rear wall with ladder blocking.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

The outside is aluminum or looks like aluminum (ribbed). The rear wall has cabinets and stove on it so am not sure what you mean composite or how to find out. Any help will be appreciated.
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple SS View Post
The outside is aluminum or looks like aluminum (ribbed). The rear wall has cabinets and stove on it so am not sure what you mean composite or how to find out. Any help will be appreciated.
Copy that! You DO NOT have composite walls then! If you absolutely wanted a ladder, even if the factory did not install the blocking, you could take down the aluminum siding, install blocking, reinstall the siding, and mount a ladder.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

My coachman trailer did not come with a rear ladder. I emailed Forest River with the brand and model and they emailed me back a PDF file showing where to put the ladder. I don't not have alum. siding and the cost to put a ladder on was in excess of 400 dollars at my dealer. I bought an 8 foot Costco signature series step ladder for around 130 dollars. Does what I need to make sure the top of slides are clean before closing and can get on roof if need to. Cosco Signature Series 8 ft. Premium Aluminum Step Ladder-2081AABLD - The Home Depot
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosocks View Post
My coachman trailer did not come with a rear ladder. I emailed Forest River with the brand and model and they emailed me back a PDF file showing where to put the ladder. I don't not have alum. siding and the cost to put a ladder on was in excess of 400 dollars at my dealer. I bought an 8 foot Costco signature series step ladder for around 130 dollars. Does what I need to make sure the top of slides are clean before closing and can get on roof if need to. Cosco Signature Series 8 ft. Premium Aluminum Step Ladder-2081AABLD - The Home Depot
Which trailer do you have?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

Coachman Freedom Express Liberty Edition 322 RLD.
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Yes, you can get the ladder attached. Salem puts in the blocking on all trailers regardless if they are ordered with a ladder or not. We have a Hemi 282rk which we ordered w/o the ladder (not intentionally, just didn't think of it at the time). there is a post previously on this forum
Forest River Forums> Fifth Wheels | Travel Trailers | Ultra Lites> General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion> Salem Hemisphere 282RK Ladder Blocking
that is specific for the 282, but the FR guys sent a diagram. You can order one and DIY or have the dealer put it on.

IMHO, we never got the ladder installed. I go on the roof 2x / year and just use a lightweight extension ladder I alread had.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Salem travel trailer ladder

I have the ladder on my 282rk. I wouldn't have it without the ladder. Factory or not it will be useful.

Also do yourself a favor and check the top of the slide for debris every time before you close it. That way it won't damage the seal or bring debris into the trailer.
I just did a slide topper on mine but haven't been out to use it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Yes, slide toppers are a must have! I'd get my next one with the ladder, just didn't want to go through the after purchase expense.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Yes, you can get the ladder attached. Salem puts in the blocking on all trailers regardless if they are ordered with a ladder or not. We have a Hemi 282rk which we ordered w/o the ladder (not intentionally, just didn't think of it at the time). there is a post previously on this forum
Forest River Forums> Fifth Wheels | Travel Trailers | Ultra Lites> General Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Discussion> Salem Hemisphere 282RK Ladder Blocking
that is specific for the 282, but the FR guys sent a diagram. You can order one and DIY or have the dealer put it on.
Careful... As of late-2104/early-2015 builds this is no longer the case with Hemis and Glens.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #13

I have a Salem 27RLIS and Camping World told me that the TT does not have an option to install a Ladder. I took it to another Dealer and they ordered the Ladder from Forest River and installed it. Reiner
captainreiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem, trailer, travel, travel trailer